Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else save the tarsal glands from the buck they shoot? A friend of mine does this and freezes them to use the next season. He will drag them to his stand then hang them from a branch or leave them on the ground. My neighbor shot a button buck on our last day of rifle season last year so I saved the glands and froze them. They just have the normal deer smell. Obviously no rutting smell.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Heck yeah. I love to hang a tarsal gland near by. I'll even rub a little on the bottom of my boots on the way in. Best thing I've found to date. I could tell a few stories about this idea but if you can get your hands on a couple, do it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you are going to use scents you might as well use something you already have handy. It's a lot cheaper than buying them.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Inside the hocks of a bucks rear legs.....tufts of longer hair that the buck urinates on as he freshens scrapes.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
a rutting buck is best, the smeller, the better

some cut the horns off roadkill ,i cut tarsal glands

·
Registered
548 Posts
I cut the glands off of my '08 buck from last year. Thy're waiting, all sealed up in the deep freeze for the 2nd week of November!! :wink:

·
Pass the Tabasco
2,008 Posts
I shot a 8 point one time and a buddy helped me track it and drag it out of the woods. All he wanted was the tarsal glands. He used it a few days later and it brought 3 bucks in one morning and one was a nice 8 and he took it.....they work fine

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
While I haven't done this in awhile, I used to used the tarsal glands from a doe that I had shot. To me, using the tarsal gland of a buck could have a negative reaction whereas the tarsal gland of a doe almost never will.

David

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
While I haven't done this in awhile, I used to used the tarsal glands from a doe that I had shot. To me, using the tarsal gland of a buck could have a negative reaction whereas the tarsal gland of a doe almost never will.

David
I also use the Tarsal glands from Doe s. Never thought of using a bucks Tarsal Glands.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you've never done this you should try it. A word of advice, use rubber gloves to handle them, the ones from a rutting buck will stink like he!!.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Killed a few bucks using them. I used to keep all the ones off of the bucks but now most of the guys want to keep them because of my success:).

Put them in a zip lock back and keep them cool till I use them. I put a tie strap thru it and hang it on a branch.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I keep mine in a plastic bag, then use them over and over during the season.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts