Archery Talk Forum banner

taxidermist wait....

640 Views 16 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Brut
alright guys in jan. of 2007 i shot a big red fox and brought it to a local taxidermist in my area(didn't know the guy at all but it was my first mount so i decided to give him a chance) well i brought it to him the same week i shot it and he told me it'd be done in aproximatly 10 months....ok so i waited. well i'm still waiting actually. after about a year and a half i gave him a call and he said he was just about to start on it. i've called him every few months and each time i do he either doesn't return my call or tells me its just about done. what would you do in this instance? thanks. luke
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Have you already paid for it? If so I would consider the attorney general's office. Maybe not necessarily go there, but tell him you are strongly considering it. That may be enough to light a fire, if not then go to them and tell them the situation and see what they recommend. If you have not paid him, I do not know what I would do. Contact an attorney and ask what you can do maybe.

· BIRD HUNTER
11,223 Posts
sounds like your taxidermist is giving you the run around, first off its been in the frezzer that long its frezzer burn and you will have a crap mount, How much money do you have out, It takes about 8-10 hours work to do a fox , and there is some drying time before you can put the finishing on. I would call him and tell him you would like a confirmed date that it would be done, I would give him 30 more days,Because the truth is he probally has not did one thing yet. Then I would take him to small claims court.. I would not only sue him for the fox but the cost of the hunt also. I hate to here these storys because they give taxidermist a bad name, The problem Is in most states all you need it to hang a sign in the front yard , here in new york you need a lincense, requierment is the fee only.

· Registered
28 Posts
I've had this happen to a few buddies. It really ruins what started out as a great time and great memory. Various guys dealt with it in various ways... the BBB is an option like mentioned above, smalls claims is definitely a good way to go too....but if you sense that your mount is ruined or you'll never get it, and the guy seems to be a bit shady in his dealings with you, try mentioning to your local conservation officer the problems you've been having with him. One buddy did this and the CO stopped by the taxidermist one day to chat about the problem and found about 6 untagged/poached animals in the guys shop. Although this solution probably wont ever get you your mount, it may give you a little satisfaction when the shop is closed and they guy is paying some serious fines. Good luck, and hope he is just slow and not a bad guy!

· Registered
7,780 Posts
Since he is local I'd make a visit to see him.. Once your there he should be able to show you where he is at with it (if he has it). Once you know whats going on you can have a better idea how to proceed... Good luck!!

· Registered
5,367 Posts
I would definately go to his shop and ask to look at it. I would ask for any money back and the hide back.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Ok do yourself a favor and quit being a pushover first off !! Alot of these" I am almost done with it " types know how to push the buttons of the less than assertive types and get away with murder."I am not bashing you at all" you are just way to easygoing about this whole thing .I know for myself I would not of left any mount with anyone like this one day longer than his rediculously long 9 months let alone 1.5 or 2 years.:angry:

So in short give no warrning and just get an attitude get in your car /truck and go over there walk in and get it .If its done pay whatever and never go back .If its not done or even started demand your money back take your hide and tell him to go to hell and walk out.Man you simply do not need this crap and these loosers that BS thier way around getting projects or jobs done should be out of bussiness!:thumbs_do

· Registered
119 Posts
A one year wait is the norm for most busy shops. 2 years is a bit of a stretch.
Did you sign a contract?
Did you leave a deposit?
All it would probably take to resolve this is for you to make a trip to his shop and voice your concerns face to face.

· Registered
6,587 Posts
A one year wait is the norm for most busy shops. 2 years is a bit of a stretch.
Did you sign a contract?
Did you leave a deposit?
All it would probably take to resolve this is for you to make a trip to his shop and voice your concerns face to face.
best advise yet, yes go to his shop and tell him you want to see it, no matter what stage it is in....if it's still in his freezer then, get your deposit back and take it to another guy....

· Registered
6,587 Posts
yeah i paid a 200 dollar deposit. only reason i haven't been more assertive is because i didn't know if this was normal for a wait.
it really only matters what you and your taxi decided, if he said less than the time you have waited then find out whats up? a fox is a very hard mount to start with, so if he is new he might have had slippage problems with it....do check it out...:thumbs_up

· Banned
574 Posts
I would go over there and talk to him and ask him what the hold up is. I would also ask to see it so you can see exactly what he has or hasn't done yet. He told you it would be 10 months and now it's been 2 years that is just rediculous. I would hope that he has a really good excuse. If he hasn't started on it i would ask to have back the deposit and i would take the hide and if it's still good take it to a reputable taxidermist. Good luck!

· Registered
347 Posts
Im taxidermist myself and i have got behind on my work,hell im behind now.lol but i always tell my customers it will be at least a year maybe longer.If he said 10 months then you should have got your fox in 10 months or less,as for a fox taking 8 to 10 hours to mount it would take me longer to do a fox and make it look good.As someone on here said a fox is hard to tan without hair slippage so maybe it slipped and hes trying to find another fox to replace yours,but he should let you know the truth before he replaces it.

· Registered
473 Posts
I feal your pain. My buddy and I both shot bucks in Utah aug of 07 taxi said they would be done in april of 08 both of us gave 200 doller deposits made several calls always get the same answer I'll be getting on it soon. Yep I'm worried I might never see my largest mule deer to date again but when my friend moves back up there I'll have him go and give the taxi a personal visit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.