Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard you guys knew how to build some sweet trail cams for reasonable prices that function pretty well. Fill me in please..

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Where are you planning to use it? Is it going to be a true trail cam or over a feeder or mineral/salt lick? This will help us narrow down what board camera combinations that will work best.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Lets say yes, say a cam set over a fixed position to get animals feeding?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
most likely it will be used for over a feeder or mineral lick. Going to be catchign a lot of photos of deer and hogs.. Wanting to try to build one. but dont know where to start. I have a few exra digital cameras that are decent cameras..

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
That really opens up alot of possibilities. Since it is over a feeder, speed is not a factor and you can use almost any camera and board combination. You can get some really good high quality photos with the S600 and S40. The S600 would be my camera of choice because the flash is so good. You can use a pelican 1040 case with any of the boards (BFoutdoors, snapshotsniper or Yeti). Same with the S40. Only drawback is the hacks are a bit difficult if it is your first camera attempt at hacking. The Yeti would probably be a good board for either one because you can do the yeti fast hack which will add about 1/2 second to the camera, but again, since speed is not a real issue you could go with my favorite board for still cams: snapshotsniper. With a 1040 you could even fit in a couple of AAs for extra life in the field.

You could also go with the W series cams, I recently did a build with a W230 which takes great 12 megapixel pictures and has a 2 second trigger time. The flash is pretty good with the W230, but pretty poor on the rest of the W series cams. Flip side is many programs now allow you to lighten pictures and that compensates. I just don't have the time to lighten up all of my dark photos.

Right now is tough time to be buying cameras for homebrews because eveyone is competing for the cams on ebay and the prices are really high (90+ for P41 and S600s). You can still get S40s for around $45.

I'm making the above recommendations, but I have to tell you that I do not like the extending lens cameras and prefer the Sony P41 and P32 over all the ones I talk about above. But then, I use mine on trails and not feeders, so speed is very important to me.

If you don't mind spending between $200-$250 you can do a build with the DXG 567v which will give you video with sound. I pretty much now only run these cameras and have really moved away from still photos.

As far as tutorials go there are several stickies at the top of the first page which do a pretty good job of showing how to do hacks and builds. You can also go to hagshouse.com, snapshotsniper.com, homebrews.forumwww.com, http://www.depreyswildlife.com/Mods/TrailCameraMods.html, easy3dcamo.com

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
That covers it

That covers it pretty much. I have a tutorial in the stickies that you can build a nice cam at a cheap price. There are two camera that you can pickup sometimes pretty cheap. The s40 can be bought cheap. These are a easier camera to fix. If you can find one that has a white screen you can pick these up cheap. You just clean and reinsrt the ribbon. P52 can be found at good prices. They make a good trailcam. The flash is not the greatest. If interested in a Hacked s40 you can pm me for a price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts