Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, I finally got my oldest sons brand new x mas bow ready to wrap up and it got me thinking.. he is 8yo and never shot before. He will literally need to learn everything I know from scratch. I don't want to give him so much info that he either feels intimidated or just data dumps it all so I would appreciate your thoughts.

Please fill in the three remaining fundamentals to begin with day 1.

1) Safety Safety Safety

2)

3)

4)

·
Registered
344 Posts
i am lucky enough to have a pro shop with a younger pro that is awesome with kids. i had to face the fact that my kids like almost all kids listen to other people better than they listen to dad.as little weight as possible for him. form,form,form, is all i would worry about. its fun to a kid when he hits the target every time.

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
hey all, I finally got my oldest sons brand new x mas bow ready to wrap up and it got me thinking.. he is 8yo and never shot before. He will literally need to learn everything I know from scratch. I don't want to give him so much info that he either feels intimidated or just data dumps it all so I would appreciate your thoughts.

Please fill in the three remaining fundamentals to begin with day 1.

1) Safety Safety Safety

2)Let him set the pace...if he doesn't want to shoot today...dont force it.

3)It has to be fun..dont make it a regiment. Don't force him to snoot x arrows per day etc.
4. Shoot alongside him...he really wants quality time with dad!
5. Make it fun! get some 3-d targets... let him shoot them any way he wants.
6. Hang ballons on the target on day...candy bar the next..."You kill it you eat it."

4)
1) Safety Safety Safety

2)Let him set the pace...if he doesn't want to shoot today...dont force it.

3)It has to be fun..dont make it a regiment. Don't force him to shoot x arrows per day etc.
4. Shoot alongside him...he really wants quality time with dad!
5. Make it fun! get some 3-d targets... let him shoot them any way he wants.
6. Hang ballons on the target one day...candy bar the next..."You kill it you eat it."

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah, just make it fun for him. If you overload him he may lose interest. I bought a bow for my 10 YO niece and one for my brother's girlfriends' 6 YO son. She has already shot bows in archery class at school so she loves it already and I"m really psyched for her to open it on CHristmas Eve. Him on the other hand. I went with the lowest poundage I could find. I hope he doesn't find it too hard and lose interest. He loved watching me target practice at the range the other day and said he'd like to do that. I hope he sticks with it. The poor kid does nothing but sit in front of the tv or video games all the time. Frickin' electronic babysitter. Told my brother and his girlfriend I refuse to buy him anything to do with tv or video games! LOL

Good luck and post a pic when he opens it! Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Look at usa archery for a joad program near you. I will second that your kid will listen better to someone else than the OLD man. I did this with my boys and they love it and got there friends interested. I volunteer my time with the beginners getting the basics down so the coaches can help the next ones in line.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good suggestions so far, I love the " you kill it, you eat it" line.

I am lucky enough to have a Hoyt pro shooter as a buddy who has offered one on one lessons once a week which I will be taking him up on. I'm just wondering about the beginning critical things to instill.

I shoot every day and he will be welcome to shoot with me when he wants but I do understand that I shouldn't push it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts