Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

· Registered
8,544 Posts
Congratulations on your first baby!

Best thing going on the planet in my opinion. When my first child was born my wife at some point told me I was gonna start having to help out around the house a little more with the baby and all that jazz, so I made a deal with her, I told her I’d sell all my guns, my Bows, my snowmobile, my boats, everything but my golf clubs! Which I ended up doing, and the only thing I did was golf nine holes on Wednesday night and 18 holes on Saturday for several years when the kids were really small!

Then slowly but surely I started introducing all that stuff to my kids, had them shooting bb guns and bows by the time they were 4-5 years old, they got fishing poles and golf club’s for the first birthday and Christmas presents, bows soon after!
They are all grown now, one is coming in town next week from Japan for my daughter’s wedding, first thing we’re doing go fly fishing, go golfing, and shoot the bows at the house! It all goes by so quickly, my best advice is to spend every waking moment with them. Smartest thing I ever did.

Checking in from South Dakota.

Think ive been on a team with a few of you guys before. I won't be able to hunt quite as much as past years, we welcomed our first child to the world July 21st. I'll still get out a fair amount though. Usually I am super picky so many years I don't shoot a buck, but I probably won't be so picky this year.

· Registered
8,544 Posts
I’ve been so busy getting my house ready for my daughter’s wedding here, I haven’t put up any cameras. However I’ve spent a ton of time scouting old and new ground. I’ve only got one month till my opener!
Checking in Fellas. Prospects are looking good for this year.

· Registered
8,544 Posts
I mainly flyfish for big browns these days. Hex hatch in Mid June-early July, and then mousing for them at dusk and into the late dark night too. BLAST! My son was the better flyfishermen till about 3-4 years ago when I finally cracked the 20+ inch barrier! TOOK me 25 years to finally get there, then the flood gates finally opened for me on big browns!

Few fish on the fly over the years...

My son had this 21" brown hit his Hex fly several times before he finally hooked him, the entire section of river could hear him cursing the trout on every missed take, was fun to be there.
Salmon-like fish Fisherman Fish Brown trout Oncorhynchus

We do an annual flyfishing trip for King Salmon on the exact river I grew up on learning how to trout fish with my Dad and one of his best friends.

Water Hunting Smile Fisherman Lake

23" brown a few summers ago, 1st 20+ for me!
Water Underwater Liquid Organism Fish

Smile Outerwear Plant Tree Outdoor recreation

Love that advice! Thank you, so far all she does is eat poop and sleep but I still want to hold her every minute possible. I can't wait until she grows and I can introduce her to the outdoors.

Ohh fly fishing, now you're speaking my language. I love love love hunting, but fly fishing may just be my absolute favorite thing to do

· Registered
8,544 Posts
I pretty much gave up gun hunting a few years back, sold all my guns, decoys, gun safe, the works! Duck, pheasant, rabbit, Quall, geese, and even Coyote hunting fell off the list. Met a young man locally that loves to hunt over deer carcasses for coyotes, so I gave him all 3 of mine last year. He invited me, but I just don't have the drive for it like I did years ago. Fun though! I did deer hunt with my 350 Legent last year though, so there is still hope!

I haven't and probably won't put any cameras out this year. Usually I run 5 or 6 but just been too busy. I haven't even been out to the farm yet. My cousin was going to put a food plot in again, hoping he did.

Our season opens Sept 1, along with dove. I'll probably head out there to dove hunt and check my stands out and see what things look like. For hunting I always have to split my time between doves early, then later geese, ducks, pheasants, grouse, and deer. And since I'll be going less this year I'll have to manage my hunts well. Honestly id give some of that up, mainly grouse and pheasants, but my dog loves it so much that I have to just for her.

· Registered
8,544 Posts
Always fun pan fish fly fishing. Great fight on a light rod, 2-3wt. For decades I lived 4 hours from our trout streams, and on every vacation, we headed up north to get after them. I retired in Trout river heaven 4 years ago! Oddly, I fish less now. Go figure!
Salmon is definitely on my bucket list! I just started fly fishing 2 years ago, and I'm hooked beyond belief. Unfortunately our closest trout waters are about 6 hours away. I do scratch the itch with some bluegill around here though on poppers.

· Registered
8,544 Posts

· Registered
8,544 Posts
We wanna head out west for a big trip, Yellowstone, fishing, hiking, maybe some early season bow hunting,bucket list of course!

After Kevin posted all those pics i had to plan a trip, so yes i am going sept 2-5 haha. I am staying just south of Elba, so right near the middle fork. I plan to venture out some too since ill be there a few days. Should be a good time!

· Registered
8,544 Posts
Just bought a 30lb Mathews Switchback XT! LOL

I've been injured since last November. Did all the rehab, still doing it, trying to avoid surgery, but it ain't looking good! I'll turn this sucker all the way down to 30 OR if it goes into the 20s, I'll turn it down to that! LOLOLOL

Hoping it gets me back into the game. Otherwise, I'll be forced to use the crossbow.

Sleeve Grey Wall Twig Bag

· Registered
8,544 Posts
Fell last year hunting while crossing a river. There is more than 1 injury from the fall, but the Dr feels hand surgery is the best bet to allow all to heal. Either way, I got me an easy pulling bow IF ever I can shoot again! NEXT stop, kiddy bows! LOL

30lb switch back should be like warm butter. Whats the injury? I'm not a doc (well depending on who you ask!) but if its rotator cuff and 30lbs is still not doing it, you likely are going to need surgery.

Reactions: jeffrichards

· Registered
8,544 Posts
Last december, I made a huge mistake in offering our Lake House as a venue for my daughters wedding next week, never thinking in a million years I'd spend the next 9 months of my life killing myself to get ready for it! Anyways, your trail cam photo inspired me to go out and get at least 1 camera going BETWEEN wedding prep! Found a huge Oak fell right in the middle of one of my micro food plots. Cleared it a bit and set the camera. GOT to plant something NOW...dang it!

Plant Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Tree Trunk

Young one i have one cam here in Va ! Headed to Illinois Oct 27 to Nov 10 the farm is always productive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,544 Posts
I think I like that one!

I’m not picky!
We’re not picky
Big bad bonus tines
Take the shot
Take em tall take em wide
Rack rubbing rebel rousers lol
Doe banging Buck Blitzers
Buck fever Panic Punchers

OK I did my job lol

I'm not picky

· Registered
8,544 Posts
I believe everyone but 2 have checked in. I messaged these members to check in AND also messaged 12-Ringer to get on the waiting list for replacements if they fail to check in.

• lazyhubby70
    • Buxndiverdux

Who are we still missing? Think check in deadline is either past or coming up soon?

· Registered
8,544 Posts
Sweet! Welcome…Glad you made it here. Hopefully there’s enough guys wanting to get in that we can fill that second space, unless they happen to show up that is!
Hey guys, I just got added to this team since you had a no show.

Checking in from NC!

· Registered
8,544 Posts
That’s a pretty hefty brown for a 4 wt! I’ve caught all my really big browns on a Orvis Helios 8 wt, but only weighs 2 7/8 ounces. Feels like somewhere between a 4 & a 5 wt, but it is a canon and can cast huge flies enormous distances. Still fun catching small fish on it too, but has all the backbone for the biggest fish.
And since there’s been some fly fishing discussion… here’s my personal best wild brown from the Appalachian mountains, public water…

23”, stone fly nymph with a 4 weight.

Reactions: stevewes2004

· Registered
8,544 Posts
Mine starts on a special weekend on Sept 10th & 11th, no restrictions, then a Doe rally on private land on Sept 17-18th. I'm not even close to ready!
Our season starts Sept 10th. Got 6 cams out so far. Still got a few more to hang, but the SXS is in the shop...:rolleyes:

· Registered
8,544 Posts
Currently in the ER, kidney stones might be the problem, we’ll find out soon. Hope I’m out of here in time to make my daughter’s wedding and wanna go down the aisle on Saturday afternoon! I finished most of the prep for the wedding late last night, and we were supposed to go golfing this afternoon, bummer.
Smile Vision care Comfort Eyewear Event

· Registered
8,544 Posts
Well you can put me down for the vote for the one that everybody else is voting for if that gets us to 8 votes
Hospitals suck! - i actually just got out of the hospital with my 3 week old daughter. she had viral meningitis. doing well now though. Hope they get you healed up fast!

If there are no objections - i think i will submit our team name so we can get that out of the way?

· Registered
8,544 Posts
I am being prepped for surgery right now. They’re telling me I should be able to get home tonight with any luck. So my whole crew has been working the last couple of days without me. But they’re getting it all done, with any luck I’ll be walking down the aisle with no rain & little pain tomorrow
Get well quick Kevin!! One of my best honors was walking my daughter down the aisle!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts