Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Checking in from South Dakota.

Think ive been on a team with a few of you guys before. I won't be able to hunt quite as much as past years, we welcomed our first child to the world July 21st. I'll still get out a fair amount though. Usually I am super picky so many years I don't shoot a buck, but I probably won't be so picky this year.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Congratulations on your first baby!

Best thing going on the planet in my opinion. When my first child was born my wife at some point told me I was gonna start having to help out around the house a little more with the baby and all that jazz, so I made a deal with her, I told her I’d sell all my guns, my Bows, my snowmobile, my boats, everything but my golf clubs! Which I ended up doing, and the only thing I did was golf nine holes on Wednesday night and 18 holes on Saturday for several years when the kids were really small!

Then slowly but surely I started introducing all that stuff to my kids, had them shooting bb guns and bows by the time they were 4-5 years old, they got fishing poles and golf club’s for the first birthday and Christmas presents, bows soon after!
They are all grown now, one is coming in town next week from Japan for my daughter’s wedding, first thing we’re doing go fly fishing, go golfing, and shoot the bows at the house! It all goes by so quickly, my best advice is to spend every waking moment with them. Smartest thing I ever did.
Love that advice! Thank you, so far all she does is eat poop and sleep but I still want to hold her every minute possible. I can't wait until she grows and I can introduce her to the outdoors.

Ohh fly fishing, now you're speaking my language. I love love love hunting, but fly fishing may just be my absolute favorite thing to do

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I haven't and probably won't put any cameras out this year. Usually I run 5 or 6 but just been too busy. I haven't even been out to the farm yet. My cousin was going to put a food plot in again, hoping he did.

Our season opens Sept 1, along with dove. I'll probably head out there to dove hunt and check my stands out and see what things look like. For hunting I always have to split my time between doves early, then later geese, ducks, pheasants, grouse, and deer. And since I'll be going less this year I'll have to manage my hunts well. Honestly id give some of that up, mainly grouse and pheasants, but my dog loves it so much that I have to just for her.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Salmon is definitely on my bucket list! I just started fly fishing 2 years ago, and I'm hooked beyond belief. Unfortunately our closest trout waters are about 6 hours away. I do scratch the itch with some bluegill around here though on poppers.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Cool looking stream. We don't have any big rock banks like that, just smallish river bottom rocks AND few of them!
Black hills of South dakota, its all gorgeous scenery. I'm actually contemplating a quick fall trip this year down towards Rochester MN. My buddy lives down there and does a lot of fishing near the WI border. But, we will see what the fall brings.

Thanks everyone for the congrats on the little one!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Whitewater is very popular down by Rochester. Lots of people head down there to fish. One of my employees has a camper down there and goes frequently. The bluff country down there is beautiful. Great deer hunting too.... good luck if you go!
After Kevin posted all those pics i had to plan a trip, so yes i am going sept 2-5 haha. I am staying just south of Elba, so right near the middle fork. I plan to venture out some too since ill be there a few days. Should be a good time!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
30lb switch back should be like warm butter. Whats the injury? I'm not a doc (well depending on who you ask!) but if its rotator cuff and 30lbs is still not doing it, you likely are going to need surgery.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
our season officially starts sept 1st, but i dont think i will hunt opener this year. first year in a long time that i wont, but im leaving the next day to fish, so thats pushing it a bit. ill likely wait for a cold front, if we get one, in september to go check things out. i also need to do some duck scouting at some point. maybe ill take an entire day and hunt the morning for deer, scout the afternoon, and doves in the evening. we'll see!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Hospitals suck! - i actually just got out of the hospital with my 3 week old daughter. she had viral meningitis. doing well now though. Hope they get you healed up fast!

If there are no objections - i think i will submit our team name so we can get that out of the way?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Busy day today (not archery related). Up at 4 am to fire up the grill, brisket on, went for a run. Now on my like 8th beer and im also sunburned because ive literally been outside since 4. Made one good decision so far today, and that was to cook a brisket. Reaping those rewards around 630-7pm tonight. Hope everyone is enjoying their saturday!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Y’all had a good Saturday…

I ended the day hammering a few rounds through my Bergara 300wm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats always a good time! I bought a 6.5mm Creedmoor last year and although i didnt have a lot of time to shoot, i got it shooting really well out to 500. i dont think ill have a lot of time to shoot this year either, but hoping to get some good hits out to 750.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
season is officially open here in SD. Im leaving early tomorrow for some driftless fly fishing and maybe a little mushroom foraging. so thinking maybe next week ill get out hunting a day. supposed to be 90s all week until friday, then down to 70s. so maybe i will sit friday eve after work or saturday morning while its cool. dove season is also open, so next weekend ill probably go scout for ducks and then hunt doves in the evening. the best time of year is here!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts