Archery Talk Forum banner

Team #14 - 1 four Whatever

17970 429
Welcome to the 19th Annual AT Deer Contest!
Below is your team for the 2022-2023 season. These contests are designed for everyone to have fun and not take things too seriously. Let's all have a safe and successful season! Use this thread for discussion purposes, sharing trail cam pictures, etc. amongst your team members. After your team has a majority on a team name, have one member of your team post the team name in the Team Name thread.

Remember the 4 S's = Shoot Straight, Stay Safe
Good luck everyone
Joe

alex.vogel99
14​
bamabowhunter19
14​
baz77
14​
Buxndiverdux
14​
hdrking2003
14​
Ishi Spirit
14​
jeffrichards
14​
jwg1976
14​
Kevin2
14​
lazyhubby70
14​
Mbatson
14​
pointndog
14​
skeet16
14​
skinner2
14​
V Man
14​
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

· Registered
8,607 Posts
On my way in I did a little scouting, I cut a really big set a buck tracks, super deep into the trail too, fresh. First buck sign I’ve seen all season so far.

I ended up sticking three decoys out in one of my best spots from last year, turn out to be a colossal waste of time though lol did manage to lose my classes in the woods though, so I got something accomplished!

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Sky Twig

· Registered
8,607 Posts
We've got warmer weather for the next week, so I'm going scouting to a spot that has deer AND I'm looking for decoy sets. HOPE to find some hot sign! I want to use my decoys the next few weeks, just love the rush from decoying deer in with them.

· Registered
8,607 Posts
What Shrinkage! BUCK is a BEAST! Congratulations...

A little bit of ground shrinkage but still a decent mature buck. Scored 147 2/8 and weighed 269 live and 218 dressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,607 Posts
35 degree drop in temps from yesterday, mid 70s last several days TO 39 degrees currently. Suppose to be 31 next few nights too. Pouring rain last 24 hours, suppose to stop by 2pm, heading out now hoping to be set up ready with decoys when the rain stops!

Reactions: V Man

· Registered
8,607 Posts
NO DICE for me! Did a couple sets with the decoys. It is ALL or nothing, I'm gambling on a big buck with my Buck Doe decoy set. Rattling, bit of calling too, but mostly Rattling and visual out in an open spot. I'm thinking of switching to just a Doe in the coming days, we shall see. When bucks come into a set up, it is the ultimate rush in deer hunting by far for me in the last decade. Going to a completely new area I scouted last year. The State has some food plots there, several in a huge public area. They've added 4-5 fields this year too, so there sure to be something with some fresh buck sign.

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Was in the stand by 3pm AND never saw OR heard a thing. Dead silent, perfect wind for this new spot. BLANKED! Decoys never had a chance!
Plant Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Tree Twig

Plant Natural landscape Wood Terrestrial plant Twig

· Registered
8,607 Posts
A little Deer Season commercial appreciation!

· Registered
8,607 Posts
I got out today, did a bunch of scouting, hoping to find a great spot to hang and hunt, but it didn’t happen. Found one lousy rub! Going to head to couple of different spots tomorrow in the 4 wheel Mustang!! Hoping to get on some good buck sign.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Plant
Plant community Plant Natural environment Wood Twig

Plant Sky Twig Natural landscape Wood

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Good luck finding him, IN for photos!
Well guys I shot what would be my 2nd best Carolina buck this morning coming into a scrape. He was 22yds but I had to lean over my climber in an awkward position so I’m not sure if it was that or that he moved forward a little as he was working the licking branch.. I believe it is a liver hit.. shot him at 740am and will wait until at least noon to start tracking. Good thing is there isn’t a lot of thick areas near by..

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Plant Elk Organism Deer Twig

OK, I know you guys with properties, farms, destinations hunting places have way bigger deer, but I’ve got 3 acres and a killer lake lol when we retired, having acreage was on my priority list, but when it finally came time to buy, we bought a retirement home on the lake that had a couple acres attached to it VS one of the many homes with acreage. I won’t lie, this place is amazing, and while I wish I had 100 acres, I prefer this year around.

I didn’t live here but a couple of days and I was seeing a deer on my property. Quickly put up a mock scrape, watering hole, and a couple of micro food plots! Presto, a bunch of tiny deer lol

This is by far the biggest buck that showed up in 4 seasons. He’s likely not as big as the deer that I shot last year on public land, and I have seen photos from my buddy camera on public where I hunt has a much bigger deer also.

Anyways, I’m gonna put a couple of sits out there, you never know.

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Bummer.
Well guys, no luck. He bedded about 75yds from the shot and got bumped. Not sure if it was coyotes, which are bad in this area, or me when I got down. Waited 4.5hrs to track, blood went dead around 100yds. Called a dog in and he got on the track but the deer crossed a creek into a gated community property. So we had to stop there..

· Registered
8,607 Posts
One mans dream is another mans pass! WISH I had deer like that to see or pass on. Even on my Dad's farm when I was a youngster and young man, the largest 10 point ever shot was barely that big, maybe. Upper Northern Michigan. Look forward to seeing what you end up getting.
Had a couple does in range this morning, but about 10 mins too early. 5 mins ago passed on a beautiful 10 point that would've went mid 130s I think. Young deer though. If he can make it another 2 years he will be studly. He was as close as 5 yds. It was pretty tempting but glad I let him walk. Deer have been everywhere this morning. Seen probably 20 just mostly out of range

· Registered
8,607 Posts
We lost power city wide from the wind last night, 50+ gusts, power just came back on. I hunted this morning, no bucks. Going back out this afternoon. Yep, 35 tomorrow morning & 28 Tuesday morning. Might sit one of my state land food plots with the decoys out. Screwy East wind though & light, I hate East winds, they are a double wind as far as I'm concerned around here, both east and west. No time to waste waiting now, just going to set up and let it ride!

Winds blowing 40 gusting to 50 today. Spent about an hour in the tree and finally had to get down. Tucked in at the end of a tree line now on the ground, hoping for a searching buck to walk by. Not much moving in this wind though. Tomorrow is supposed to be cold and chance of some snow. Some wind too but about half of what it is today. Should be a good day to put my first full day in.

· Registered
8,607 Posts
WHERE the h E ll you living! L O L

Hope you get one down, sooner OR later in the snow!
No dice for me today. Nothing moving in this wind. Gotta hit it hard tomorrow, cuz i just checked the forecast....12-15 inches of snow Wednesday/Thursday and blizzard conditions. Followed by bitter cold, highs in the teens and lows around 0. That's gonna make for some tough hunting. Movement might be okay, but its just tough to hunt when morning windchills are below 0. Really hope that doesn't screw my whole week up. Was planning on hitting it hard Thursday-monday. Idk now.

· Registered
8,607 Posts
I was covered up in 8-9 does at 0-25 yards for an hour eating under me on my little property this evening. Was praying for a grunt, but he never showed. STILL have not seen a buck on the hoof while hunting this year. I watched the Does hop over the main road and took the edge of my power line straight to my stand AND then a hard right to my micro winter Rye plots! They finally came in, like a thick shag carpet. They were eating acorns and rye, back and forth! Looked like fun!

My drought has to end soon, going back at it at 6am!

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Brisket OR top of spin shot? Done it, deer was fine. AND
I know for sure because I killed the buck a week later HOT on the heels of a doe! BIG gash in his back, 3 inches wide 8-10 inches long directly across the spin, and you could see the blade lines going threw the flesh.

Eye Plant Working animal Fawn Terrestrial animal

Okay well I....am baffled. Had a doe come in tonight at 25 yards. Drew back and waited until she was pretty much totally broadside, and shot. Shot hit in the right area, generally. It was towards the end of legal and i don't shoot lighted nocks so I couldnt tell exactly, but it looked good. Possibly a touch high. I did have my sight set at 30 when she was at 25, but I also aimed slightly low. Anyway, she spun around when hit and ran into the trees right in front of my stand and kind of like hunched her butt up weird. I thought w-tee-f, that's a weird reaction for where I hit her. Went and found my arrow and it was covered in fat and nothing else. Not a speck of blood. Searched literally on hands and knees with my headlamp right where she was and went into the trees and past my stand and not one speck of blood to be found. What in the world happened? Never been a believer in the "void" but like, I have no other guesses.

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Taking the decoys out tomorrow again. Sitting a foodplot on public. 1st time there, but it has a good bedding to the east AND only a east wind, which we have tomorrow, will allow you to sit it! Had a really big scrape and rub line with lots of old rubs as well, so should have some cruising bucks with any luck.

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Congrats

Shot a local legend guys.....We named him El Toro 4 years ago. We believe he is at least 7 or 8. He has never grown anything more than what he has for head gear. Probably the buck I'm most proud of because of the history with him. He isn't going to score well but he was very worthy of my tag.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 105 Posts