Archery Talk Forum banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Those 4 deer down this week should put us over 800 points I'd think. We are now officially in the hunt. Does count more than anything else now. We'll likely need more bucks, but those Does will end up winning it. If you get a chance at 1 OR 2, fill your freezer and add another 50 or 100 points, you'll be glad you did when enjoying some tasty Venison Steak, burgers, and sausage!

Reactions: jwg1976

· Registered
8,607 Posts
At least you've seen some bucks! I'm still on the Doe train! MORE yesterday, and today I'm wishing I had dusted the one at 20 yards broadside, at least my freezer would be fuller!

Movement sucked this morning. Saw 3 small bucks all way out of range, but thats it. I really figured they'd be moving before this storm, maybe this evening will be better

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Awesome buck, and he scored up nicely too. Hope you mount him, he's a great buck.

I was finally able to get some better pics of El Toro and get him scored. What he lacks in tine length he makes for in mass measurements and spread. He's definitely unique

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Stay after them, you'll get one down.

So close tonight on a doe! Had 2 feeding down a road to me and a little forky started bumping them around.
Ughhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,607 Posts
OK, our gun opener is tomorrow, heading out the door to take one more LONG sit at seeing a buck. HIGH HOPES! Likely be my last archery sit of the year. Best spot left for last!

· Registered
8,607 Posts
OK, season over! Finally did find some hot buck sign in the marsh I ended up scouting into today. Bumped 1 deer going in, NO kill though. WAS so freaking nasty, don't even know why a buck would want to hang out there!

MIGHT, just might hunt a day late December if I cut a big buck track going into a spot I like, but I won't hold my breath!

Good luck guys, I'll be rooting for you all.

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Congrats. I started out hunting for meat for the freezer, LOOOOONGGGGG ago! I still do! Love me a nice rack, but the meat is the 1st point of the entire practice.
Well I broke my rule and shot a young one. There are a ton of young bucks around this year so I don't feel too bad about it, it's meat for the freezer. Not sure if he'll score over 50 we'll see. One way or another, it's more points!

· Registered
8,607 Posts

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Deer Camp here at the lake 2018! Last full Deer camp. Last year it was just my daughter and I hunting, this year perhaps just me. Meredith is coming in town tomorrow for Thanksgiving, maybe a sit in the treestand on my property, we'll shoot bows if nothing else. Hunting today, saw 3 Does AND was very tempted to pull the trigger on one to fill the freezer a bit more. There was dozens of fresh deer tracks in the area, several very large tracks from bigger deer, so I'll set up there in a tree soon!

Camouflage Military camouflage Snow Cargo pants Tree

Reactions: V Man

· Registered
8,607 Posts
My daughter is up for Thanksgiving, finally getting to do some shooting with her! I put her diamond edge on the chronograph, I think she’s got it at 40 pounds, 199 ft./s! I was pretty impressed, quite a bit faster than my circa 1985 Martin cougar speed flight bow that went a whopping 185 ft./s!
Clothing Snow Smile Outerwear Photograph

Snow Bow Tree Plant People in nature

· Registered
8,607 Posts
She was pretty good as a youngster and teenager, now she only shoots with me a couple times a year. She was hitting the bull out to 30 yards pretty consistent from the get go today! AND bragging about it!
Awesome!! Good form too, I bet she’s a pretty good shot

· Registered
8,607 Posts
My wife and daughter just got me an earlier Christmas gift, Black Friday purchase! GoPro 11 with the works! Daughters' idea, giving it early to me so I can use it for the rest of hunting season. I normally don't accept gifts, preferring a gift of time the last decade, but they twisted my arm! THEY all are backed up on their "time" gifts, so this seemed good for a change!

· Registered
8,607 Posts
Soon as my daughter left in the morning, I was back after em! Got my eyes on a couple of deer while tracking them, but no shots fired. There’s no fresh snow, so I got barn yarded a you times. I just could not decipher what track was the fresh track once the buck got into a bunch of other tracks and exited!

But it was exciting! I did find a couple of new Treestand locations that I’ve been curious about, so that was sweet too. I might even sit this one crossing pinch point spot because there was several buck tracks going into this high ground thicket in the swamp. There’s nothing coming out the other end so they’re definitely bedding in there. Might give it a couple of sets in December with the bow.
Plant Snow Tree Branch Sky

81 - 100 of 105 Posts