Archery Talk Forum banner

Team #14 - 1 four Whatever

16145 400
Welcome to the 19th Annual AT Deer Contest!
Below is your team for the 2022-2023 season. These contests are designed for everyone to have fun and not take things too seriously. Let's all have a safe and successful season! Use this thread for discussion purposes, sharing trail cam pictures, etc. amongst your team members. After your team has a majority on a team name, have one member of your team post the team name in the Team Name thread.

Remember the 4 S's = Shoot Straight, Stay Safe
Good luck everyone
Joe

alex.vogel99
14​
bamabowhunter19
14​
baz77
14​
Buxndiverdux
14​
hdrking2003
14​
Ishi Spirit
14​
jeffrichards
14​
jwg1976
14​
Kevin2
14​
lazyhubby70
14​
Mbatson
14​
pointndog
14​
skeet16
14​
skinner2
14​
V Man
14​
161 - 180 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Been buying stuff for my conversion from 1 sticking to NO sticking since Jan! Finished off putting my ropes together today. Almost put my LW hand climber up on the classifieds, but I can't seem to let it go!

View attachment 7704995
View attachment 7704996
My cousin mentioned that I need to try this since I done the one sticking last year all season. I don’t know if I’d be willing to part with my one stick in favor of this [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I am switching to no sticking because it is easier and safer. You are attached with zero slack in the rope 100% of the time. I couldn't figure a way to make that happen with 1-sticking on the way up the tree when you are most vulnerable.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I am switching to no sticking because it is easier and safer. You are attached with zero slack in the rope 100% of the time. I couldn't figure a way to make that happen with 1-sticking on the way up the tree when you are most vulnerable. I had a hard time no-sticking, but I got a system down that got me up the tree, just took me a while! I definitely went places and sat trees I would not have done with my LW hand climber. I know that this new system is even more stealthy, lighter, and should be faster once I get my system down. NOTE there was a time when I was young that I slipped up any tree with ease, nothing but a few screw in steps in my pockets AND a stand in my hand while making my way up the tree. THEN I was smart enough to buy the 1st harness out on the market! (for those that aren't aware, those 1st harnesses were death traps for some)

The JRB Climbing system I'm using has proven to be pretty impressive. Highly recommend examining it and all the knots and techniques it uses and seeing if anything it offers might work for you. I will be using his Saddles Hunters Hitch, JRB Ascender Hitch (non-jamming type), and the hitch and JRB method climbing examples he demonstrates, I've got rigs for both of those.

This young lady did it on the 1st try, so I figured my old body could handle it too!

Haha I understand. No sticking would be up my ally because of how I hunt and the places I hunt, but at the same time, I haven’t found the limitations of one sticking to make me want to move on from it. I actually feel safer than I have ever up a tree since going to one sticking.

I one stick differently than most though, or I should say of folks who post videos. I ascend with my rappel rope where most carry a separate tether. I learned on a static rope, and the first time I tried out the dynamic rope of mine… the pucker factor kicked in. I wasn’t use to the give/springiness of the rope [emoji23]

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
yep, I used my rappel rope as well up and down the tree. I agree, I felt safer too. But, in my quest to improve on safety and stealthiness, I'm going to give no-sticking a go. PRAYING my time and cash investment pays off!

Haha I understand. No sticking would be up my ally because of how I hunt and the places I hunt, but at the same time, I haven’t found the limitations of one sticking to make me want to move on from it. I actually feel safer than I have ever up a tree since going to one sticking.

I one stick differently than most though, or I should say of folks who post videos. I ascend with my rappel rope where most carry a separate tether. I learned on a static rope, and the first time I tried out the dynamic rope of mine… the pucker factor kicked in. I wasn’t use to the give/springiness of the rope [emoji23]

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
yep, I used my rappel rope as well up and down the tree. I agree, I felt safer too. But, in my quest to improve on safety and stealthiness, I'm going to give no-sticking a go. PRAYING my time and cash investment pays off!
Awesome! Keep us updated on what you think of it as the season goes on. Our season (one county north of us) opens Saturday. I’m torn between going hunting or going for the last day of early goose. The only hunting I’ve done thus far is dove, which is honestly one of my favorite kind of hunting the older I’ve got.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Did some more practicing with the no-sticking system today, went pretty smooth for the most part.

Weather for the opener here is looking pretty good.
Plant Tree Wood Terrestrial plant Trunk

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
were back into highs in the high 70s and low 80s. im out of town this weekend anyway, but i also will not be sitting until we start getting some frosty mornings and cool days. really hoping my family can start harvesting soon. there is a lot of standing corn around, once that comes down i will start to see a lot more movement near my stands. right now they stick to that corn pretty hard unless its the middle of the night.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I killed a deer 3 years ago that I tracked threw H e LL and found it dead 5 feet from the road! NICE ending!
Haha not bad at all. Only about 30yds of thicket before getting to open hardwoods!

Reactions: stevewes2004

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
congrats on the doe!

beautiful cool morning here today, wish i was in the stand. hopefully next week/weekend ill get out again. theyre forecasting a major cooldown next wednesday night. possible hard frost and highs in the low 50s thursday-saturday.

·
Is it beer:30 yet??
6,925 Posts
On the board!

Congrats man!! I’m really looking forward to next weekend, I’ll finally have a chance to make it to the stand. Missed the first two weekends due to vacation and wind. Gatlinburg was fun, but I’m ready to get to the woods now.

·
Team BNN
1,444 Posts
Hunted Saturday morning and saw 1 doe about 46yds out, she was in a steady walk so no shot presentable. Got a bad headache around 1:30 and called it a day.

161 - 180 of 401 Posts