Archery Talk Forum banner
741 - 760 of 816 Posts

· Registered
3,273 Posts
Happy new years guys, nice doe there doofy with stick and string!
Unfortunately im done here at home, the blizzards really put an end to what I thought would be a great late season. I just couldn't access the big pastures I had planned on for muley hunting. Not having any whitetails around the last two years because of ehd has really sucked as well. Im proud though to have been on such an ass kicking team, you guys laid down the smack big time! Well I hope we win, if not it definitely was my fault for not shooting one of the numerous bucks that day a couple weeks ago. Just figured I'd be getting out several times but mother nature had other plans! Next year should be fun, gonna burn my iowa points i think, I've got a bunch.
That and my son just informed me that the land owner that lets us hunt whitetails on his property told him he wants to sell it to us. Its a sad deal as he is terminally ill, don't wish that on anyone. Its a beautiful 325 acres with a big creek running through it. Its a hub right in the middle of some big pieces of property that are off limits to hunting so its basically a deer sanctuary. I guess we will see how things all pan out there.
I hope to team up with you all again next season! Have a safe, healthy and happy new year guys!
I can't wait for warmer weather so I can get this little guy in the boat fishing! Oh and he loves looking at grandpas "deers" hanging in the house, he's always pointing them out! 😊❤
Glasses Facial expression Cap Standing Vision care

· Registered
2009 PSE bow madness xs
1,690 Posts
Goatboy I’m glad to be on a team with you. Sorry but you can’t predict the future. Besides hindsight is always 20/20. My season ends next weekend so I’m going to try for a home run. Can’t wait for next season already. I have learned so much this year. Time with your family and gkids is awesome enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing you next season

· Registered
2009 PSE bow madness xs
1,690 Posts
Murphy that’s a nice pair of does. You lived up to our team name. Congratulations on a great finish of your season.
Chad that’s an awesome buck. Congratulations on a great buck can’t wait to see his score. Nothing like waiting until the near end of the season Enjoy

· team whacknstack
3,422 Posts
Happy new year guys. I’ve been after them for a week now, I am cheating with the muzzle cause I’m hunting food sources out blinds. It’s been a very good week even though we warmed back up. I have a secluded farm with a couple 100 acres of corn. My 1st even I had 1 of the largest bucks I’ve ever had an opportunity at 100yards walking to me. Got on him and he alerted toward the field full of does. Waiting for him to turn all a sudden he turned 180 and run off. Looked over to the does and they was gone. Then the yotes started barking. I havnt seen him since and he’s a deer I thought was dead and my 4year seeing him. I’ve seen 5 shooters total. 1 I passed that has a triple beam, the rest have been in that 270-340 range. I’d go at 250, still have a few days left. Good luck guys!

Reactions: Tenn47

· team whacknstack
3,422 Posts
Hell ya Chad! By looks should atleast 130
I’m thinkin 150 myself, maybe totally wrong but either way nice buck, don’t feel so bad about not getting my doe lol. I actually only have a land owner doe tag and my deers are gone. Hate to waste my buck tag just yet on a doe.

Reactions: Tenn47

· Registered
290 Posts
I was hoping that it would break 140, and even with the broken browtine it came it at 148 2/8. Very thankful.

Here is a quick rundown of the morning…. Had an east wind (uncharacteristic for around here). Chose a 30’ stand that was in a gully between two slopes. Saw about 20 deer on the west facing slope throughout the morning.

30 min after shooting light, there was a buck about 80 yrds away. I grunted and he came in, hit a mock scrape at 22 yrds. He had a bigger rack than the one I shot, but his body was super skinny—looked like a 2.5 yr old. I just couldn’t draw.

An hour later there were two buck milling around in the same spot, 80yrds away. One bedded down. I grunted and the other came on a string. At 10 yrds, he stopped and was facing me looking for the source of the grunt. He turned broadside and started walking up hill. I drew, and my peep-sight was turned 90 degrees! Not wanting to have a repeat of last week’s lost buck, I let down, twisted the peep and drew again. By that point, he was at the mock scrape at 22yrds.

Doublelunged, and he went about 30 yrds before tipping over within sight.

The best part was my neighbor, who is also an avid deer hunter and lives 30mins away, was around and helped me recover and load the 153lb field dressed deer into the side-by-side.

Was a beautiful morning for an awesome hunt. Now, just need to help my 19yo son get a muzzleloader deer before he heads back to his ministry (he plays bass guitar in a band that does church events around the country).

View attachment Unofficial ScoreChart - typical whitetail deer | Boone and Crockett Club.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
2009 PSE bow madness xs
1,690 Posts
Awesome buck congratulations. Awesome story. I guess passing young deer is how you guys grow the big bucks up there. I’m glad you had help to load him he’s a toad. Great story enjoy the meat and the memories. Good luck with getting your son a deer. Enjoy those memories as well. Congratulations

· team whacknstack
3,422 Posts
I was hoping that it would break 140, and even with the broken browtine it came it at 148 2/8. Very thankful.

Here is a quick rundown of the morning…. Had an east wind (uncharacteristic for around here). Chose a 30’ stand that was in a gully between two slopes. Saw about 20 deer on the west facing slope throughout the morning.

30 min after shooting light, there was a buck about 80 yrds away. I grunted and he came in, hit a mock scrape at 22 yrds. He had a bigger rack than the one I shot, but his body was super skinny—looked like a 2.5 yr old. I just couldn’t draw.

An hour later there were two buck milling around in the same spot, 80yrds away. One bedded down. I grunted and the other came on a string. At 10 yrds, he stopped and was facing me looking for the source of the grunt. He turned broadside and started walking up hill. I drew, and my peep-sight was turned 90 degrees! Not wanting to have a repeat of last week’s lost buck, I let down, twisted the peep and drew again. By that point, he was at the mock scrape at 22yrds.

Doublelunged, and he went about 30 yrds before tipping over within sight.

The best part was my neighbor, who is also an avid deer hunter and lives 30mins away, was around and helped me recover and load the 153lb field dressed deer into the side-by-side.

Was a beautiful morning for an awesome hunt. Now, just need to help my 19yo son get a muzzleloader deer before he heads back to his ministry (he plays bass guitar in a band that does church events around the country).

View attachment 7769732

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s awesome man and sticking with it is what uts about! I’m pretty sure that kill keeps us teammates for another season. Congrats on a very fine buck!

741 - 760 of 816 Posts