Archery Talk Forum banner
761 - 780 of 816 Posts

· Semper Fi
1,280 Posts
That’s awesome! First year doing this and I don’t think I could’ve asked for a better team, definitely some deer killers on here for sure! Hopefully can do it all again next year! Congrats guys, just gotta hold on a little longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· team whacknstack
3,422 Posts
I've been doing this since 2015. And never came close to winning. Pretty excited. Hopefully we get to do this again next season. Awesome group of guys!
I’ve done a few of these over the years and it’s usually been a curse. I think I broke it this year!!!

· Registered
290 Posts
Hey guys, this team has been a blast! Many other teams I’ve been on you never hear from half the guys after they check in. Thanks to each of you for your participation and engagement. I think one of the secrets is having a consistent and sincere encourager like @Tenn47 has been. Thanks, Tenn! Also focusing on the does early was a great jumpstart.

Re: passing deer—yes, it is a blessing live in a place like we do. I try not to take it for granted. Even still, nothing is guaranteed and can still be a crapshoot—we have at least 10 deer stands right on our fence ( on the neighbors). And one of the big 4yo that I passed up was shot 50yrds off our property on the neighbors. Glad for them, though.

I’m pretty sure below is the deer I passed the other day with the skinny body. Give him a couple years and he’ll be a bruiser.

Thanks, guys, for the great experience! Will look forward the final standings and joining you all next year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
2009 PSE bow madness xs
1,690 Posts
Hey guys, this team has been a blast! Many other teams I’ve been on you never hear from half the guys after they check in. Thanks to each of you for your participation and engagement. I think one of the secrets is having a consistent and sincere encourager like @Tenn47 has been. Thanks, Tenn! Also focusing on the does early was a great jumpstart.

Re: passing deer—yes, it is a blessing live in a place like we do. I try not to take it for granted. Even still, nothing is guaranteed and can still be a crapshoot—we have at least 10 deer stands right on our fence ( on the neighbors). And one of the big 4yo that I passed up was shot 50yrds off our property on the neighbors. Glad for them, though.

I’m pretty sure below is the deer I passed the other day with the skinny body. Give him a couple years and he’ll be a bruiser.

Thanks, guys, for the great experience! Will look forward the final standings and joining you all next year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for the kind words. I would rather lift people up when ever I get the chance. I just want my teammates to have the best season.
Chad that’s a great buck with a small body. You better lay out some special protein bars for him 🤣 Maybe he will pack on the weight next year if he makes it through this winter.
I wish everyone good luck if they have more season to hunt.

· THE BAR Bartender
21,423 Posts
Well guys, this just happened! Hopefully enough to lock us in for the win!

!

Cchad...thinking that may be a lock, congrats

· THE BAR Bartender
21,423 Posts
Figured I would not be able to upgrade my buck as the season is about to end. My hunting buddy is unable to bowhunt , we do gun hunt together but he zeroed. I haven't take a deer with a gun in 6 years but I always hunt with him and his son. I was going to give him a doe if I took one after gun season
Organism Fawn Deer Natural material Terrestrial plant

as he loves venison sausage. After passing on a number of average bucks and not having a doe in range(crazy by statistics,especially late season), took a common 7pt. which was originally a 9pt as both brow tines were broken and tip of the main beam on left side was gone. Donated to my hunting buddy. Tall and slender, the exit wound is very low, blade clipped the very bottom of the (I mean very bottom, tip of one blade clipped the very bottom tip) of the heart. He may have gone nearly 400yds down over a deep hill in the woods and into a steep creek bottom. Blood trail was sooo easy to follow but could not believe how long he stayed on his feet, how far he went. One of the most difficult retrieves I've had... No vehicles allowed in the area. Gotta Love the challenge, and gotta be amazed at the animal.

· Semper Fi
1,280 Posts
Figured I would not be able to upgrade my buck as the season is about to end. My hunting buddy is unable to bowhunt , we do gun hunt together but he zeroed. I haven't take a deer with a gun in 6 years but I always hunt with him and his son. I was going to give him a doe if I took one after gun season View attachment 7774916
as he loves venison sausage. After passing on a number of average bucks and not having a doe in range(crazy by statistics,especially late season), took a common 7pt. which was originally a 9pt as both brow tines were broken and tip of the main beam on left side was gone. Donated to my hunting buddy. Tall and slender, the exit wound is very low, blade clipped the very bottom of the (I mean very bottom, tip of one blade clipped the very bottom tip) of the heart. He may have gone nearly 400yds down over a deep hill in the woods and into a steep creek bottom. Blood trail was sooo easy to follow but could not believe how long he stayed on his feet, how far he went. One of the most difficult retrieves I've had... No vehicles allowed in the area. Gotta Love the challenge, and gotta be amazed at the animal.

Congrats!

· Registered
2009 PSE bow madness xs
1,690 Posts
Rcmjr that’s a good looking 7. Congratulations on a successful hunt. Good for you to donate the meat to your buddy. I try to donate at least 1 to the needy around here. Some are just less fortunate than others.
Thirdhand/Jim I believe you are correct that should lock us in. I’m excited to be with this team next year

· Registered
2,075 Posts
Congrats RCmjr! That is a great buck. I would shoot him anyday and thats a stand up move to give your buddy the venison.

Reactions: Tenn47

· team whacknstack
3,422 Posts
Welp my season ended yesterday and I had the craziest hunts I’ve ever had. I learned more this late season than I ever had and I wish I had just bowhunted instead of the smoke pole. I had way to man encounters not to kill a Iowa Giant this late season. The weather has has been crazy but I feel like I coulda got it done with my bow, I got lazy!!! Anyways I can’t wait till next year because I know what survived. The shotgun season hunters had a bad year around here and we needed it. Anyways good luck if your still hunting but my money says we are locked!! When is the final day of the contest officially?

761 - 780 of 816 Posts