Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Back down to ground level
17,099 Posts
Checking in. Bob from NJ. Going to be good getting to know you all, and taking first place this year.

·
17,099 Posts
I’m Matt from Pa, hunt here and Tennessee.
I've been hunting PA too, but it's going to be a last minute decision this year. Didn't see much around the farm last year. There's been one big old buck that eluded me for 3 years. He was on a decline the last 2 years. Not sure if he made it to this year. If I tag out here I'll probably be going. Tennessee is where I'd like to live if my entire family wasn't so close to me here. Good luck hunting it.
I'll have 1 bow buck tag until the end of Oct, then another that runs to the end of the year, then another for January, plus 1 PA tag if I go.

When do you all start bow hunting? Our early season starts 9/11 but I have to shoot a doe first. I usually get a chance to shoot a big buck before getting a doe, then don't see anything until the rut. Regular fall bow season opens 10/2, buck or doe.

·
17,099 Posts
I hunt Wayne co, Mathius. Opens late. Gives me some time to fill a tag here, but we don't see bucks moving in PA for the doe until 1st week of Nov. By then I have a second NJ buck tag, and a special muzzy season opens here same time. I need two more of me. Trying to shuffle between the 3 seasons just lessens my chances at connecting in any one of them, but I like hunting them all. Hunting PA is so much nicer than here.

·
17,099 Posts
Wife's uncle has a farm in Dyberry, 3C, backed by sgl. Looks like we have a good group from big buck country on the team. Few more to check in yet

·
17,099 Posts
Just missing mgarr and NC Kansas. We have a lot of members from big buck states. Looking good for us. Any of you have big bucks on the radar? Seen Matt has a couple nice bucks posted up on another thread

·
17,099 Posts
Holy cow SB80! I could only dream of seeing bucks that nice where I hunt. Can't wait to see the shooters you're after, with your bow in the pic

·
17,099 Posts
I sent mgarr a PM, I think. Not sure how it works with this new format. Started a conversation in his profile, so I think he'll get the message. He's the only one not checked in yet.

·
17,099 Posts
Temps in the 90's and humid again, scratched the itch for the time being. Feels like an oven outside. Want to pull my cameras and leave those good spots alone, and go look for a few more new spots to hang them. 1 more month to go. Streams are drying up. Have a few swamps along a river on the map to check out. Could be a good year to hunt water sources if this weather doesn't change by then.

Nothing big here like you have to the west. Have a few spots with good bucks for my area on camera that I'll be after. Getting more pics of bears.

Somebody else want to try sending mgarr a pm to check in? He should have gotten my message, but he wasn't on AT for a week prior to that. Might be away.

·
17,099 Posts
I do the opposite. Run cameras from when they start growing bone until a couple weeks before deer season opens. By then I know where I'll start hunting and remove the cameras from those spots around now so I'm not disturbing them for a month. 2 weeks before the season is when most people start scouting. I take them all down so they don't get stolen and use them again later when I find good sign in new spots to see what's there.

Couple bucks I got on camera late in the season in a new spot last year. Hope they are still around. Going to be my primary spot to start

Plant Grass Fawn Rodent Terrestrial animal

Terrestrial animal Grass Monochrome Deer Tail

Same spot this year. Think I jinx myself every year by posting pics.

Plant Fence Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal

Plant Plant community Nature Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

Plant Natural landscape Tree Fence Wood

Plant Deer Organism Tree Terrestrial plant

Tree Plant Grass Terrestrial animal Darkness

·
17,099 Posts
Another spot in a different zone that I can hunt 2 weeks earlier, but have to shoot a doe first.

Plant Tree Carnivore Wood Natural landscape

Plant Dog Tree Wood Carnivore

Another spot that looks good so far

Plant Tree Natural landscape Trunk Wood

·
17,099 Posts
The big bucks were no longer showing up on camera on the hill, so I put a camera on a trail that runs along the edge of a swamp down below closer to a river, where there was a scrape last year. Looks like they are staying closer to thick cover now. I took down the camera on the hill and will stay away from there until the season. Good rut spot as they cross over between 2 swamps. River was low enough to jump the rocks so I crossed it and went around the backside of a patch of really thick pines loaded with blowdowns. So thick I can't get around or through the piles of sticks. Been wanting to scout that since last year. Can't get to it easily from other direction either. River wraps around the hill to make it a long peninsula. Moved the camera to there, in a strip of woods between the pick up sticks and an open overgrown high grass marsh. Trails all over coming out of the swamp along the river, out of the pines, and the high grass marsh. Unfortunately, lot of bear sign too. Looking forward to seeing if mr big is in there, but not looking forward to dragging one out of there. There will have to be something special back there to get me to drag one out of there.

Couple from the trail around the swamp...

Plant Tree Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Wood

Plant Tree Natural landscape Deer Biome

This one will get a pass or grandson can shoot it if he's with me. Cooler weather this morning got me itching to go.

Plant Tree Natural landscape Wood Deer

·
17,099 Posts
I sent 12 ringer the pm to let him know we have a full team.
Which team name do you all prefer to go with? Spit'n sharp sticks, or, Team Whatever

·
17,099 Posts
Let's stick with Spit'n Sharp Sticks since it was the first suggestion. Unless somebody comes up with something else or enough want Whatever, I'll submit it in another day or 2. Hard to tell if you guys want the team name Whatever or if whatever just means whatever. lol.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts