Archery Talk Forum banner
181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have yet to be able to shoot anything other than fawns or small bucks. I’m off a few days this week and it looks like the weather is cooperating. Hopefully I can lay down a few soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
Shot a big doe this morning. I’ll post pics and enter both on the scoring thread

Reactions: irishhacker

·
Registered
284 Posts
Shot a big doe this morning. I’ll post pics and enter both on the scoring thread

Congrats on the buck and doe!

·
Back down to ground level
16,952 Posts
Took a decent 8 this morning.....

Congrats! Nice buck and doe.
I passed on 2 much smaller 8s with the bow and had the big 8 within range twice but couldn't get a shot off. Passed on another small 8 yesterday with the muzzleloader. Probably should have filled the tag with him and gotten back to chasing the big buck with the bow. Will be back out with the bow after him Fri and Sat. Didn't see any movement today even with the cold temps, scrapes all over the place though

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
Just posted my deer on the scoring thread.

Reactions: MTHunterGirl

·
16,952 Posts
Don't see much as far as chasing, but the bucks are moving. Haven't been seeing doe either. One of the big bucks gave me the slip again. Seen one use a trail again on Friday, too far away, so I set up in a blind on the other side of it where I could get a shot and it came behind me Sat morning. Set up a ladder stand in a pine for next Fri and Sat to try again. Next 4 days is muzzleloader in another area. Hope to tag out sooner and get back out with the bow. This one I'll shoot if I get the chance. Don't think he is the bigger one I seen back there but he will do.

Plant Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal Groundcover

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
Shot my target buck, 35yrds broadside, calm deer, no wind...
Bled like a stuck pig

We followed good blood for 200+ yards, he crossed a large creek and we picked up good blood on the other side. Blood started slowing until we were finding specs. He hit a swamp after nearly 3/4 mile from where I shot him and we lost blood.... never beded once. Waited 6 hrs to track even after finding that blood pile with bubbles at the edge of the field, 50 yards from shot spot.
Figured I must have hit low and clipped one lung. Added 3 more cameras to the 6 I already have set to maybe get a pic of him still alive.
SICK! I tell ya, just sick

·
16,952 Posts
Shot my target buck, 35yrds broadside, calm deer, no wind...
Bled like a stuck pig

We followed good blood for 200+ yards, he crossed a large creek and we picked up good blood on the other side. Blood started slowing until we were finding specs. He hit a swamp after nearly 3/4 mile from where I shot him and we lost blood.... never beded once. Waited 6 hrs to track even after finding that blood pile with bubbles at the edge of the field, 50 yards from shot spot.
Figured I must have hit low and clipped one lung. Added 3 more cameras to the 6 I already have set to maybe get a pic of him still alive.
SICK! I tell ya, just sick

Bet you he's in that swamp, dead. Know anybody with a good tracking dog?

I lost a big buck yesterday with the muzzleloader. Had him come straight at me while stillhunting a swamp, then he stopped in some brush when he saw me, bobbing his head. 15yd front shot through some fine twigs and I jerked the gun when pulling the trigger. Crosshairs were on shoulder when the gun went off. Thought I missed by the way he just trotted off. Found a few specks of blood where he stood before jumping a creek and then nothing as he was headed back toward the posted property where he came from. Sat down totally disgusted, then had a smaller 8 walk up and give me a clear broadside shot at 30yds. I took it and went back to bowhunting today. Had a doe this morning at 5yds rubbing her glands on saplings, leaving her scent all around me. Thought I was going to have a good morning there but my son shot his buck with the muzzy and I went to go help him get it out. I'll be back in that spot where the hot doe was in the morning.

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
Bet you he's in that swamp, dead. Know anybody with a good tracking dog?

I lost a big buck yesterday with the muzzleloader. Had him come straight at me while stillhunting a swamp, then he stopped in some brush when he saw me, bobbing his head. 15yd front shot through some fine twigs and I jerked the gun when pulling the trigger. Crosshairs were on shoulder when the gun went off. Thought I missed by the way he just trotted off. Found a few specks of blood where he stood before jumping a creek and then nothing as he was headed back toward the posted property where he came from. Sat down totally disgusted, then had a smaller 8 walk up and give me a clear broadside shot at 30yds. I took it and went back to bowhunting today. Had a doe this morning at 5yds rubbing her glands on saplings, leaving her scent all around me. Thought I was going to have a good morning there but my son shot his buck with the muzzy and I went to go help him get it out. I'll be back in that spot where the hot doe was in the morning.
I got permission to search the swamp. Me along with several other combed through it and found nothing.
Still sick to my stomach over it

·
16,952 Posts
Sorry you lost him ILLbucknut. Worse it had to be your target buck.
Passed on another smallish 8pt yesterday because I saw a real nice one there the day before, bigger than the one I posted pic of. Looked like a heavy 10pt rack on a horse. One of these days I hope to get dealt the right card to finish the hand on one of the big bucks hanging back in those swamps.

·
Registered
20,010 Posts
Been awhile since I’ve checked in. Congrats to successful teammates.

Passing on Little bucks, only have seen one shooter buck.
Finally a doe today on a rare (in Pennsylvania) hunting Sunday.
Back at it this afternoon.
Wood Grass Trunk Plant Terrestrial plant

·
16,952 Posts
Been awhile since I’ve checked in. Congrats to successful teammates.

Passing on Little bucks, only have seen one shooter buck.
Finally a doe today on a rare (in Pennsylvania) hunting Sunday.
Back at it this afternoon.
View attachment 7501014
Congrats on the doe, Mathius.

Yesterday I stillhunted up onto the big buck locked down with a doe. He saw me and would not follow the doe up the hill when she came toward me a couple times then she went back down. Had 1 open broadside shot I could have taken but the head was behind a tree and wasn't sure what deer it was, plus I couldn't hold steady enough off hand with nothing to lean against. Third time I came close and struck out. Maybe luck will change this week. His turn at bat.

181 - 200 of 215 Posts