Archery Talk Forum banner
161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Back down to ground level
16,952 Posts
Didn't see anything in a zone that opened yesterday. Stayed closer to the road so I could leave early in the morning to watch grandsons ballgame, then left before dark to help cut up his first deer. It turned out to be a good day after all even though his team lost. I'll be going 2 miles deep during the week in search of a decent buck. This zone is much better with a lot more land and deer than the one I had been hunting. Trying to keep my hopes up.

Hunting Military camouflage Smile Camouflage Marines

·
Registered
284 Posts
Didn't see anything in a zone that opened yesterday. Stayed closer to the road so I could leave early in the morning to watch grandsons ballgame, then left before dark to help cut up his first deer. It turned out to be a good day after all even though his team lost. I'll be going 2 miles deep during the week in search of a decent buck. This zone is much better with a lot more land and deer than the one I had been hunting. Trying to keep my hopes up.

View attachment 7477060
Congrats to your Grandson 25! Love the pic!

Reactions: 25ft-up

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
Heading out in the morning. Gonna camp at my hunting grounds for the next 3 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MTHunterGirl

·
16,952 Posts
Good luck illbucknut! I'm seeing a lot of scrapes everywhere, but bucks aren't moving during daylight. Acorns everywhere. Deer don't have to go anywhere. Been close many times this year to bears. Had to chase a sow with 2 cubs off tonight just as it was getting dark before they got too close to the blind. Back at it in the morning

·
Registered
284 Posts
Finally got to draw my bow on an animal this season! 🙌 58 yards, dead within sight. Now I can relax, and have some fun hunting deer!
Hunting Plant Working animal Dog breed Fawn

·
16,952 Posts
Just saw the most beautiful buck this morning, after a doe came within 5yds and was trying to pick me out in the beech tree. Didn't know he was behind her until after she walked off and I turned around to look behind me. He wouldn't commit to come in after the way she was reacting. Almost had a shot at 30yd, then 40, but either there was a limb in the way or his butt was to me. Big bodied, wide & high tined 8. At least an 8, I wasn't focusing on the rack too long. May have been a 150+. He circled around behind me and went out of sight. Made a blind farther back the way they both headed to try for him again in the morning. Should have a clearer shot being below the tree limbs. Saw a nice buck yesterday morning in the same spot but he walked past at 40yds where I couldn't get a clear shot. Not sure if it was the same buck but I think today's was bigger.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Just saw the most beautiful buck this morning, after a doe came within 5yds and was trying to pick me out in the beech tree. Didn't know he was behind her until after she walked off and I turned around to look behind me. He wouldn't commit to come in after the way she was reacting. Almost had a shot at 30yd, then 40, but either there was a limb in the way or his butt was to me. Big bodied, wide & high tined 8. At least an 8, I wasn't focusing on the rack too long. May have been a 150+. He circled around behind me and went out of sight. Made a blind farther back the way they both headed to try for him again in the morning. Should have a clearer shot being below the tree limbs. Saw a nice buck yesterday morning in the same spot but he walked past at 40yds where I couldn't get a clear shot. Not sure if it was the same buck but I think today's was bigger.
Good luck. Hope you get him. Not much going on here on my cams. Probly gonna shoot a doe in a week or so as I have a friend coming down to hunt so that’ll be 50 points for us. As for a buck I don’t have any shooters on cam. Might be filling my tag on a cull this year if something doesn’t change in the next month

·
16,952 Posts
Didn't see that big buck, but another 8pt about 105-110" came from behind me and stood at 20yds over my right shoulder. Sat with my back against a rock little higher than my head. Had a camo moving blanket that was faded to rock grey wrapped around my legs to the rock and had a leafy suit top on. No other cover. Buck started walking straight for me then stopped at 10 yds to look at me for a few seconds. Then it crossed right in front of me without looking my way again and went down into the swamp around to my left. Already had made up my mind to only shoot the big buck I had seen. It was going to be a tough and long drag out of there. Already kicking myself for not pulling the trigger. This is the last week to fill this tag, then I have another buck tag for the extended season, but muzzleloader also starts then. Anybody having any luck yet?

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
Things are starting to slowly heat up here in West central Illinois. Gonna take a 3 day weekend and hunt.
Good luck everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
842 Posts
First sit of the year for me. Over a dry creek bed filled with mature oaks. Cut corn field 20 yards east of me. Very windy but in a mature oak so not getting much shaking the tree. Big rain storm moving in after dark so hopefully they are on the move tonight.

161 - 180 of 215 Posts