Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We watched, read and listened to all the discussion of the newest addition to the FITA World Champioships, just completed in France.
Last night after speaking with team members still in France I wanted to get on and let everyone know how well they did.
But it was already up. Thats o.k., I am not sure if I could have written it. I was pretty excited.

We have all the reason in the world to be proud of Bill Leslie, Francisco Flecha and Bobby Eyler, they represented us well to the world.

They are Team USA- FITA 3-D World Champions.

ken12

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Well, they at least they can claim to be world champions. Nice one, guys.

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
LIFE IN THE USA

shirt....have you ever heard of the kronk boxing gym???

no disrespect to any of the 3dfita world champs....but shirt...i gotta tell you....after seeing these results....its sorta like what the boxers who worked out in the kronk gym used to tell the world......its harder to win a fight in the gym, than it is to win world championships......

now, if yall actually think that this fita "sanctioned" 3d carries more clout in crowning "world" 3d champs...i really feel sorry for your lack of true 3d ability out here in the USA...cause i would venture to say, it will be harder-much harder to win the ibo or asa WORLDS......i could be wrong....but i doubt it......

congrats to team USA....you did us proud...

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
OBT-agreed. Maybe that will change-for years the US World team trials for recurve and compound were tougher to win then the main event-making the US team was tough but once on it you were pretty much guaranteed the team gold with guys like Darrell Rick, Rod Baston. It has been true for the compounds until very recently..

some of the guys from Europe on the saggitarius board claimed this was a joke-(and this was before the USA won it) and noted that fita without recurve is sort of like a trap shoot without Perazzi:D

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
OBT - I look at FITA as the World Governing body. Personal outlook thing, really.

Doesn't mean the best. ;)

Hell, I've never heard of these guys before. Put them up against a Hopkins or Wallace and I suspect they'd come a bit unstuck.

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
The ASA or IBO Worlds would more aptly be called American, or possibly North American, Championships. While I have no doubt the level of competition is stiffer at either of these events, compared to Fita 3D, IMHO they are not World championships. The simple demographics of the tournament(s) bears that out. Having a few token participants from other countries does not a true World Championship make.

Maybe one day there will be a true World 3D Championship, one that is rotated around the globe. And one that all archery countries send their best to, including you yanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
what

You know what I dont remember anyone saying anything about this being more prestigious than the asa or ibo world that fact of that matter is the people we sent did what they were sent there to do. you also might want to consider that some of the people you all thought should be there werent there because there was no money in it. So the people that went did what they did for the sport not money and I think that says alot about them. So if you cant say congrats without trying to turn this into a lesser event than it was please keep your coments to yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
My point was not about prestige. And in no way was I trying to lessen the achievement of any competitor, USA or otherwise. I agree with you that the people who attended out of a love of the sport , and of thier country (not prize money) should be congratulated.

My point was that I would be more inclined to tag the Fita 3D Championships the "world" championships.... rather than the home grown tournaments in the States. However, at this time, I also would be inclined to believe that the level of competition (not just from the USA) would not be the same as at a national IBO or ASA tournament.

Hopefully some day it will be.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Grey Eagle….

This is indeed a world championship. France asked/bided to host the first one and they received the bid. Now naturally this would make the field heavy with European / French participants. Just like it would be heavy with US participants when and if it is hosted in the US. Like the Fita worlds in New York recently were.

In the future I am sure that the best of the best from the ASA and IBO circuit will have the opportunity to represent the US in future world events. The question is WILL they because of a lack of a potential payday?? If not then we will have to move down on the list of candidates to gather a pool of people who would attend. If this is not the best of the best. Then it is not the Fita 3-D fault. It is the fault of the Archers in this and/or other countries.

I also think informaton from another post on this subject is worth repeating..... Sooooo....

Now listen up this is the way that is should be….

Finally one WORLD WIDE organization playing by the same set off rules… same divisions …. same scoring systems… for any archer in the world . In addition winners are truly WORLD CHAMPIONS…

FINALLY !!!… an organization has something for all disciplines under one roof !! Marked field … unmarked field … Indoor … outdoor… 3-d …. Olympic. In addition archers in these disciplines can have a world ranking!!

Does anybody not think this is a great idea?? And that EVERYBODY should get on board??? Is this not the type of organization we have all been wanting??? Forget IBO and ASA ( no not literally hear me out ) but should regional qualifiers not be for the national championship ( ASA & IBO) and then the winners from the national championships move on to the worlds?? Indoor – Outdoor/ Target – 3-D?? …..Now we have an organization that can deliver!! What’s not to like … Please explain to me why everybody should not back FITA and FITA events should not rule the world??

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
OBT;

"cause i would venture to say, it will be harder-much harder to win the ibo or asa WORLDS......i could be wrong....but i doubt it......"

A world championship where 60 people show up, vs the thousand that show up for the IBO or ASA championships. No doubt which is the real world championships at this point.

I think at best it was a test event. If they do it again next year or in two years maybe a little more effort will be put into it. Considering it was an IBO-FITA venture, I don't see why they just wouldn't use the existing IBO World event in the USA with the new rules - which would appear to be just shorter stakes, and maybe 2 card scoring. They could even have run a FITA-3DI division (individual or team) within the shoot from shorter stakes.

I would think that the European competitors would rather compete with all of the top guys in North America, rather than have a small unattended event with the name "World Championship" attached to it. I think AT could organize a 3-D event which we could call a "World Championship" and get more than 60 people...

-CG

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
Shirt for your info Bobby Eyler does shoot against Hopkins and the likes, be careful where you tread when venting your accusations.

·
Registered
222 Posts
really

You know some of you should know what your talking about before you speak. for your info shirt last year Bob eyler finished 3rd in triple crown and 4th in asa shooter of the year in the pro class. This year he finished 4th in triple crown and is currently 5th in shooter of th year 4 points out of third. If thats not good enough for you then I dont know what is.

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
you all have anwered in accordance to what i thought.....some of you purists have basically just hypocritically answered...by saying the ibo or asa isnt really a world...because of its "location" or logistics....and only a few token shooters outside the USA come....yet...you "recognize" the fita tagline as being pure....

why is this....cause its the org. that backs the venue of archery choice for you????? yet you say the competiton levels at the ibo or asa more than likely would be better!!!!

grey eagle....i agree, perhaps the tagline of "north-american" champions might be more appropriate....in the future....if the other side of the world somehow does start hosting or having some major 3d tourneys that do indeed gather a audience of shooters.....but until than....i have to give much more respect to the asa or ibo championships...as to having the best the world offers.....

i have seen some of what north-america has to offer in 3d....and i would say at this point....its the best in the world....but because fita is king of the european venues...doesnt mean because they offer up a "first" time 3d championship it automatically garners respect.....sorry, i dont see it that way....just as the rest of the world doesnt give up the respect to the asa or ibo....dont look for the 3d shooters of this part to just lay down and except fita as the final word......

and i still find this whole fita thing interesting......as far as with north americas top 3d pros....no one seems to want to answer this.....with our pro's seeking to seperate themselfs from the ranks of the amatuers....and "unionize" themselfs.....and gain more money.....how could they get excited or back a org. that is primarily for the medal or trophy?????? why yes, there are plenty of amatuers that do compete for the glory...and yes the pro's do too....at some events......i dont think if i were a pro today...with things looking like they are at a cross-roads with perhaps some more legitimacy towards greater prize moneys and so forth...that i would be looking to follow or back a org. that hasnt been geared toward cash payouts.....

i dont think everyone should be jumping on shirt for not knowing about bobby eyler....after all....he is a "quiet" kinda pro...and he is probably 3d's best kept secret.....heck, i hadnt heard of him myself until last year or so.....and ive not missed a asa in 2 1/2 years.....i just think that shirt is saying.....until you beat the best....your not the best....and like shirt.....until you beat "balboa" your just a "paper" champ:p ;) :D

griv, despart, braden, tazza,griggs.....how do you guys feel about following fita in 3d today??????just wondering....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The IBO Worlds is the World championship. All the best 3-D shooters in the worlds attend. 3-D is an American game. All the best at 3-D are Americans. 3-d Has extremely limited participation in Europe. I am not sure why FITA bothered to sanction such an event. Judging by the attendance it certainly wasnt because of the demand from archers. Who cares if their was no Olympic class...the best Olympic archers wouldnt have wasted their time on a second class world championship such as this. I am certain that some recurve archers would have participated, but again, they would have been lower level shooters looking for a token world championship at a nothing event. FITA should stick to FITA archery, the IBO can run 3-D around the world for those who want it(Hence INTERNATIONAL Bowhunters Assoc.)

·
Registered
222 Posts
onebowtie

One you r right Bobby is a quiet pro I grew up shooting with him and he always been like that he dosent go out of his way to get attention and to let people know who he is. He is just a shooter that loves to shoot and happens to be one of the best there is. I agree that he is probably 3-d's best kept secret I just get a little upset when I hear people suggest that he is not a hopkins or a wallace because he is without a dought one of the best 5 3-d'ers in the world,and seeing as how he just turned 24 it would not suprise me one bit if in a year or 2 he is dominating the 3-d circuit.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
OBT;

"and i still find this whole fita thing interesting......as far as with north americas top 3d pros....no one seems to want to answer this.....with our pro's seeking to seperate themselfs from the ranks of the amatuers....and "unionize" themselfs.....and gain more money....."

I will try make this clear to you as you keep going over it again and again...

;)

There are NO amateurs in sport anymore, everyone is a pro (if you define a pro as someone who can be compensated either by winning an event, or by having a sponsorship/advertising contract as the result of competing in sports). The only caveat to this is if you belong (voluntarily) to an organization that restricts such compensation. For example, if you are a colligate athlete, you sign an agreement stating that you will not be a "pro" in your sport while you are a colligate athlete. So you can go to Vegas and win the pro division, but you can't accept the money (compensation). Sometimes organizations restrict who can win money (compensation) within the events (ie cadets are restricted), but it is just a policy for that organization that they can make or not.

As far as FITA goes, as far as I understand it (unless someone knows something to the contrary), you could at the event organizers whim have money prizes in whatever classes they choose. There is no restriction. The issue is that traditionally no monetary prizes have been awarded. The NAA could turn around tomorrow though and start awarding monetary prizes.

3-D just chooses to award prize money, as does the NFAA at some events – so could FITA. The difference you are trying to make between 3-D pros, and FITA archers is artificial.

-CG

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
OBT..........

I'm not jumping on any fita bandwagon. I'm not suggesting that they are the right governing body to sanction a true World Championship. Just happens that they are the first to do it.

I would suspect that the IBO would be far better suited to this type of event, but to date they have kept their sport within the confines on the US. (understanding that they did assist Fita)

Once again, my hope would be that 3D does grow to be a truely international sport, with competitive archers from all over the world. But until then I stand by my statement that any competition held only in the Continental US, and attended primarily by US archers, does not a world championship make. Regardless of the fact that no one could argue that the level of competition in the US far exceeds the level in any other country at this time........... its still only a home grown sport.

Dennis

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
cg....its not artifical at all.....but i can see since you were one of the ones leading the charge for the wpaa(pro archery org) that you wouldnt want "anyone" to be backed into a corner;)

another thead on this board....took the turn as if "fita" were the answer to 3d....and that it should be backed as "the" premier 3d org.....here and everywhere.....

than i was told that fita "is" the only org in europe that is "recognized".....and i went on to say...when in rome, do as romans....but WE 3ders HERE(USA).....more than likely will continue to do as we do.....

however....after some of my posts....griv was kind enough to respond..and after reading his post.....i think that what he says is....he would go to a fita world championship for the glory....and his post kinda reads to me.....that this fita world thing is not going to be many tournaments, but merely one that americans or anyone else may attent....not a tour type event like the ibo or asa.....so i dont think that what centerx says "everyone" should be after or support is the same as what griv thinks it may be.....

grey eagle......i am not saying your a fita loyalists and didnt read that your saying fita is the only world championships.....but i dont recognize that "world" championship as much as i will the ibo or asa worlds.....and as you say...they are the first to do it????? asa and ibo have been doing it for years.....and anyone from anywhere in the world is open to attend their worlds....right now...they dont even have to qualify like everyone else from this country.....

grey, i agree with you in the hopes that 3d will, or could grow to international levels....but from what ive seen here....there are many many great 3ders who only attend one or none of the asa or ibo's because of the locations now....so i doubt that because fita or any other org. sanctions an event...it would ease anyones travel expenses.....so i doubt that international 3d is going anywhere soon.....just because archery isnt golf, gymnastics, ice skating or any other dominate amatuer sport.....

matter fact....apparently "mining and prospecting for gold" is bigger in this country than archery.....just the other day, they had several "prospecting" shows on the outdoor channel....and i didnt see a single archery venue.....

3d may well be a home grown sport...but so was snow boarding at some stage....so maybe there still is hope that 3d will "catch" on worldwide.....until than.....its asa and ibo for me....and off to watch the outdoor channel....."prospecting for gold".....:D

·
74,535 Posts
Fita and field

I have ask several pros I know here. Some are talking about setting up fita courses and field, building indoor facilitys. The main thing with them is they need to make some money. Pros shoot for the bucks, plan and simple. Put cash prizes and they will come. Indoor as grown and will continue with cash money. Good archers can shoot it all, no doubt.

You want to find out who the best is put up $10,000 cash prize and they will come. Money talks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A few points of reference.

IBO started 3-DI as a way to affiliate with FITA.
3-DI and FITA established the rules and format to be used in the FITA World Championships.
The agreement was for a TEAM event.
One Compound shooter
One Recurve Barebow shooter
One Traditional shooter
These archers (finals teams) are selected by the team captain from preliminary rounds during the event. You may send up to three shooters of each discipline,men and women, to the event.

FITA is representative of 121 nations.
Our goal (IBO) is to utilize the FITA 3-D World Championship to promote the 3-D format around the world in all 121 countries.

As such an event, the size of the event will never be that of the IBO World. It is a representative TEAM event. Each country selects their representatives that will compete for their country.

We were able to send one shooter from each discipline this time.
Mens Compound- Bob Eyler
Mens Barebow- Francisco Flecha
Mens Traditional- Bill Leslie
Thus------ Team USA

Their job was to represent the American 3-D shooters to the world, in the spirit of competitive fraternity. They did that in an exemplary way. They represented us as sportsmen and gentlemen.
They came together as a team in just a couple days, not months.
They came home victorious.
Celebrate their participation and accomplishment!
ken12

1 - 20 of 23 Posts