Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the difference between the TEC (hoyt?) risers, like eclispe, aerotec, and helix, that much different performence or vibration wise, from ones without, such as matrix, gm, ultima, etc? for thos of you who have shot both, is there a big difference? little difference?

feedback would be cool

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
solstice said:
Is the difference between the TEC (hoyt?) risers, like eclispe, aerotec, and helix, that much different performence or vibration wise, from ones without, such as matrix, gm, ultima, etc? for thos of you who have shot both, is there a big difference? little difference?

feedback would be cool
The Eclipse is a cast magnesium riser, probably a replacement for the GM, with the new Hoyt grip. The Aerotec and Helix are both CNC'd aluminum. The Helix is lighter than the Aerotec and a little bit smaller. Also, the Helix has the new Hoyt grip and the Aerotec has the older style. The difference between the grips is night and day, the new style is thinner and supposedly has a better pressure distribution.

The major difference between the Aerotec and Helix and the Matrix is the rollcage..uhh, Tec bar. Hoyt's website says that the Matrix is livelier. The only thing I can say with any certainty is that the Matrix is legal for barebow competition, whereas the Aerotec and Helix are not.

I have a Helix. I like the new grip, it is very comfortable in my hands. The Helix is very quiet and a well behaved bow to shoot. I have held the Eclipse and find it to be as comfortable in the hand as the Helix, but much lighter.

As for differences shooting? I can't help you there. I imagine that the Tec bar will make the bow feel stiffer, and that is what Hoyt's website says. The only comparison I can make is the W&W Winact II, and I will say that the Helix is quieter and less jumpy. However, the Winact is a forged aluminum riser and has a really clunky grip, so there is no real comparison.

Hope that helps.

-PC

·
Genesis 21:20
21,736 Posts
Big difference. Much stiffer riser that you feel at a much higher frequency than a non-tec riser. Feels crisper, but the extra stiffness can be tough on some folk's joints.

John.

·
Registered
876 Posts
tendonitis

John,
If I'm understanding what you're describing, A person who has had issues (especially cronic\re-occuring) with tendonitis, or joint pain might want to avoid the TEC risers and stay with a more "conventional" design like the GM & Matrix?

Steve

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
hockeyref said:
John,
If I'm understanding what you're describing, A person who has had issues (especially cronic\re-occuring) with tendonitis, or joint pain might want to avoid the TEC risers and stay with a more "conventional" design like the GM & Matrix?

Steve

yet an aurora was a bit harder on me than an axis was

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If I remember correctly, there was an entire thread on this subject on the Sagittarius Archery Board.

One comment that I seem to remember was one archer commenting that they had developed elbow problems with the Aerotec, but not with the Helix. I should point out that the Helix also has rubber dampers mounted directly on the riser. (I think they are called RISER-SHOX(tm).)

Regardless, your mileage will vary with the riser.

·
Registered
361 Posts
So, recurvers hate TEC bars so much Hoyt keeps traditional shapes in production, while compounders don't have a problem with it, hence the TEC bar is ubiquitous in Hoyt compounds, sans Banshee?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Miles Gloriosus said:
So, recurvers hate TEC bars so much Hoyt keeps traditional shapes in production, while compounders don't have a problem with it, hence the TEC bar is ubiquitous in Hoyt compounds, sans Banshee?
LoL no way, if recurvers were hating it, they wouldn't all want an helix :wink:
the only reason that the Matrix is still there it's because of it's nice price, the nice quality in the making and all that stuff that makes that non-tec riser great like every other riser in hoyt catalog :wink:
I sincerely think I should be a Hoyt dealer in my region lol :tongue:

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have elbow tendon issues. I used to shoot an Aerotec, but incurred high-frequency vibrations in my bow arm elbow. I liked it otherwise-it was extremely stable. As soon as I switched to a Matrix, the vibration problem was solved.

·
Genesis 21:20
21,736 Posts
Hockeyref,

I think that is true. But even the GM is a pretty stiff riser (with the I-beam construction and all...).

The helix is certainly softer than the Aerotec or Axis however. Most likely to address some of the criticism of the stiff tec risers to that point.

LoL no way, if recurvers were hating it, they wouldn't all want an helix
LOL! I haven't seen a mad rush toward the Helix risers just yet. There was a flurry of activity at first, but if you'll notice, not even all of the top Hoyt shooters are shooting the helix. It is just another good riser and another good option for folks from Hoyt. Given their lineup of risers to date, there should be something there for just about anyone. I commend them on meeting the needs of the budget minded archers still, with the GM and Eclipse.

John.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Miles Gloriosus said:
So, recurvers hate TEC bars so much Hoyt keeps traditional shapes in production,
TEC bars aren't legal for FITA barebow. However, since FITA doesn't acknowledge barebow compound as a class, it's a moot point for the compounds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts