Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about every thread on this site about broadheads and even tried the easton tuning guide. So I appoligize for another broadhead thread, but I am desperate. I leave on a caribou trip this weekend and can't figure this out.

Here is my setup. 2005 Allegiance 71lb (296fps); WB rest, STS, Beman 340 ICS hunters 27.5 inches (9.3gpi), 100 gr broadheads.

Tried both Slick Tricks and Muzzy's with the same results.

My arrow are hitting generally 2" low at 20, and 3-4" low at 30. I am even getting a fair amount of erratic shots and the grouping is very poor compared to my field points.

So is my arrow spine alright? Suggestions. I tried moving the rest up a tad and resighting and it seems to get worse. So Frustrating!

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Turn the weight down as low as it will go and see if the arrows group and fly better.That will tell you if the spine is too weak.make sure the timing on your bow and the tiller is correct also.

CB

·
Registered
845 Posts
I will just pass along what worked for me.
I double checked nocks and vanes and their aglinment to the rest. Micro tune so that each arrow is the same configeration.

I took off all my field points and only used practice bh blades. The only thing I have not really done is rotate each broadhead to line up with vanes. I shoot 3 offset vanes with a four blade bh.

I think my issue was more mental then setup. At first I had problems grouping my bh's. Once I removed the feild tipped arrows from the quiver, that I thought should fly the best, I started seeing a difference. I think I was already mentally "missing" since I was shooting a broadhead. After a few rounds of only bh's I now get to aim at different dots on the target so not to damage arrows. They fly well out to fifty + yards if I do my part.

Not a great answer to your question........unless it helps.:D

·
Registered
967 Posts
move your sights DOWN not UP. lower means you need to elevate. drop your pins. also spin check your arrows to find the ones that are erratic. if bemans web site says your arrows are spined right, then they probably are. you might also try moving your nock point down a tad then try again. good luck on the boo!!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I don't even have to run the numbers and don't have access to my on target program right now. But, I would say your arrow are under spined. Your bow is very efficient. I am shooting 340 Axis out of a Cougar4 SE at 60#and my arrow are 30.5" lg with a 30" DL. They are properly spined. Even at 27.5", I believe your arrows are too weak. Turn the poundage down all the way and see if they improve.

Also you need to make sure, you do not have any fletching contact. Even with a drop-away, your can get contact with your bow, if the rest is staying up too long. This might account for some of the erratic flights.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I ran your setup through TAP and Deezlin is correct in that they are too weak. If you could use some 85 or 75 grain broadheads that should do it. If they still don't shoot right you may have to go with a 300 spine arrow and 100 grain heads or back the limb bolts off.

·
Got Spot Fever
1,154 Posts
I'f the arrows are spined right and the bow shoots through paper, you might try spinning youre broadheads (while attached to youre arrows). make shure you have no wobble. Its not uncommon for broadheads to hit slightly lower than field points, Its nice when they both have the same point of impact, but as long as they group, I wouldnt worry, just lower the entire sight.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes you are underspined. I had the exact same problem as you with my Tribute. I changed to a heavier spined arrow and my broadhead problems instantly went away. :shade:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Im sure you tryed lowering your nock point , below even is not good , usealy 1/8 to 1/4 above is about correct . Get the correctly spined arrows , and put 5 inch feathers on the back of them with an offset , or heilical , Ill bet you like the results .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Solution!!!

Ok, after about 5 hours of playing aroung and 160 bucks I got it solved.

I could not get rid of the high nock tear with the 340 beman ICs no matter what I treid. I figured there had to be a spine issue. Broadheads all over.

I bought 6 stiffer spined arrows (350 maximas) since it was the only stiffer spine Gander had in stock! They are a little lighter also.

After 10 minutes my paper tuning I was shooting bullet holes. My broadheads and field points are almost exactly dead on at 20 and 30. Very consistant! So I bought another dozen 350 maximas.

I will try shoting 40-80 on Friday when the outdoor range opens back up to see if things are flying good at longer distances.

My speed also increased from 288 to 302 fps with the arrow change. Wow I am excited that just the arrow change affected so much with the broadhead flight. Can't wait to see if my field points fly better also out to 80 with the stiffer spine.

Thanks for all your help guys! The poor Caribou is gonna be in trouble next week.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow

I shot at the outdoor range with broad heads from 20 to 90 yards. I was drilling a paper plate every shot. I had one outside a plate at 90, but I will blame that one on the wind.

I do not think I have ever shot so good, with or without broadheads as I do with these new stiffer spine arrows. I even robinhooded my first series at 20yrds and lost a 12 dollar arrow! It blew the bull dog collar right off!

If a caribou comes within 80 yards of me he is in trouble. I hope to never have to shot that far at an animal. I like my shots at 30 yards, the no brainer kind! But I do feel very confident at longer distances if need be. I figure that with the wind and weather, long distance shots might be out of the question up there.

Again, Thanks for all your guys help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts