Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about this.... I hope I can explain this in a way to make sence.......here is what I am wondering,,,,, is there a formula for figuring out how many foot pounds of impact you gain by every pound that you adjust the weight up on your bow????? So in an attempt to make this more clear, lets say your bow is set at 65 lbs and you are shooting at say 25 yards. You then change your pull to say 70 lbs. (all other things being the same: arrow weight, etc).......how much would you gain in impact foot pounds by increasing your bow up 5lbs? Just wondering so I know if it is worth it to increase my pull by about 5 lbs or so or to just leave it alone. Thanks

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
30, first, there can be no formula due to the differences in every bows potential.

I can give you a rough calculation from one of my hunting bows.

Hoyt RazorTec shooting a 413 grain arrow

65# draw weight gives me a speed of 269fps=66.37 KE
70# draw weight gives me a speed of 279fps=71.40 KE

Several things would determine whether you could/should raise your draw weight by 5 pounds.

One would be arrow spine....will your arrow/tip combination still be correct for your bow?

Can you comfortably handle the added weight? Even in cold weather?

Is it needed?

In my case....no. I happen to shoot my hunting bows usually around 68#. I sure do not need any more KE than my bow produces at that poundage.

I hope I helped you with that explanation.

BTW, what bow are you shooting? What draw length? What arrow?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts