Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I draw the string back, anchor at the corner of my mouth using the first knuckle crease, concentrate on the very spot I want to hit, not looking at my arrow but concious that it is in line with my target in the very spot I want to hit. I release and most of the time it hits where I want it to hit...most of the time. What I am asking is, is this instinctive shooting or am I somehow subconciously aiming?

The way I tried to explain it to my daughter who loves shooting her recurve is that if you have an arrow and you hold it just above your head pointing it right at the spot you want to hit, or holding it to the right or left of your body up down or what ever but still pointing it at the spot you want to hit, that even though you are not looking at the arrow you are still concious of where it is pointing even if at a very small spot.

Is this what I am striving to achieve?

longbowlover

·
Registered
20,544 Posts
lbl -

The honest answer is who cares?

I'm sure you've seen the other instinctive thread. Something apparently quite simple can really get involved if you want to deleve that far below the surface. Some folks do, some don't. The discussion Ray and I had was more suited for a coaches forum than one on basic shooting.

The technique for successful archers is always the same. Get your form consistent and work from there. If you want to shoot "intinctively" your brain will handle the details. Don't get caught up in words like instinctive or traditional. If you need a higher level of accuracy at longer distances then worry about other aiming methods. BUT, those other aiming methods REQUIRE consistent form to be exploited.

Viper1 out.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,775 Posts
Is this what I am striving to achieve?
You are trying to achieve one thing...CONSISTANCY and NOTHING MORE. In order to achieve this, you MUST have good form. Whether you are shooting traditional bow or compound bow. The more consistant your form is, the better chance you have repeating the same shot over and over again.

Certain things can be done to help achieve that form. Like grabbing the string with a deeper finger grip, instead of finger tips. Non-gripping of the bow, and other factors.

Anyone can pull a bow, anchor and fling the arrow. They can also become somewhat accurate. But to do it with consistancy and accuracy takes good form and consistancy that is learned through time and practice.

Dwayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts