Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have been doing some searching on this head and the majority of the hunters who have used them seem to say that they are very durable, penetrate extremely well, but don't leave a whole lot of blood on the ground? On their website the new 2008 Tekan has the 1.5 cutting, black in color, new o-ring, and some serrations on the tips of the blades when closed to help grab and open faster.......it looks good! This is like a solid steel Rage? So what do you guys think that have shot them?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have not shot this years, but have used the Tekan II. Extremely accurate and tough! I bought the extended cut blades which were 1.5". I use all kinds of broadheads and the first deer I shot with these was a double lung and it went 50yrds fell over dead without much blood. I stopped using them because of no blood. This year I shot a nice buck and it just stood there so I let it have it a second time. The second shot with the Tekan II was unbelievable. I used Rage and they are AWESOME, but I couldn't reuse them, and because of that I will use the new Tekan. There is not a tougher mechanical out there.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Just a curious question.

Would you rather have a broadhead that does an awesome job but you might not be able to reuse after it has done its job.

OR

Use a broadhead that does a so-so job but you have a better chance of reusing it a second time.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always use new heads

New heads for me....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just a curious question.

Would you rather have a broadhead that does an awesome job but you might not be able to reuse after it has done its job.

OR

Use a broadhead that does a so-so job but you have a better chance of reusing it a second time.
Why does this guy ALWAYS bash someone for not using a Rage broadhead???

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
The new Tekans are not out yet, but I played with them a few weekends ago. They have decreased the point thickness for better penetration and made the changes that you described (small serrations at the top of the blades to facilitate deployment, gone to a 1.5" cutting diameter and blacked them out). They appear to be a good head that was improved upon:thumb:
I am told they will be hitting stores mid-April:beer:

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,362 Posts
I remember the DVD that G5 had on the tekans and how it pierced that board. Strong mechanical head for sure!

Plus on that DVD a hunter took a turkey with one too. The tekan is a great mechancial.

Can't wait to see the new version.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I used the Tekans and Tekan II on deer and hogs. Neither left outstanding blood trails, even with the extra cut blades. I don't know why. I had difficulty trailing every deer I hit. I switched to the Rage. The Rage is not as durable, but for some reason it leaves a much larger hole, larger than the half inch of cuttting diameter between the two heads. The Tekans fly great, and the Tekan IIs are tough as nails. I prefer the Rage now. The Rage blades are much easier for me to sharpen than the Tekan blades.....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sounds like the 2008 model will be better, I may give them a try!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Dont know if this matters to anyone but Tekans are not legal in MN so leave them at home if yall are coming to the land of 10,000 lakes to hunt.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Promod1385 I don't doubt that you're right on that, but could you site a source, and how you know this to be true. I know the MN regulations have something to say about barbed broadheads, but what characteristics put the new Tekan into that category? Thanks

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Used the Tekan II for two years now on deer and turkey, they fly great and did the job for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Promod1385 I don't doubt that you're right on that, but could you site a source, and how you know this to be true. I know the MN regulations have something to say about barbed broadheads, but what characteristics put the new Tekan into that category? Thanks
Good question.
The Tekan II was promoted to lock and did and was not legal in NY as well.
If the blades cannot retract when embedded then it is illegal as a barbed head.
Being able to manipulate the blades into retraction doesn't cut it and you have to be able to pull the head out to achieve retraction.
Thats how NY states the case.

Has this changed as it pertains to the new Tekan?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Thats a question for someone like DOC who has had his hands on them, or someone directly from G5. If anyone knows the answer...let us know! :teeth:

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Just a curious question.

OR

Guess it depends on how many deer you shoot in a season:wink:
Personally I prefer an awesome head that has a good chance of being reused...like a spitfire
I killed 4 deer this year, 3 with the same spitfire..Just touched up the head and replaced the blades and back in the quiver it went...
:
I gave the Tekans a try on deer #2 this year...not the best experience... well placed shot, small hole ,very little blood, and it took 4 hrs for the deer to expire:mad:

·
Registered
383 Posts
The new Tekan has several improvements. The new blades are much improved. However, I don't think the changes will change the opinions of the NY and MN DNR departments.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shot a 300+lb boar with the 5\8 head and the new replacment blades with the 1 1\2" cut ,Great blood trail. Cant wait to try on whitetail and maybe elk in Oct.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts