Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since deer season is up on us i was wondering what kind of spot everybody hunts at. Like runways, ponds, ridgetops, etc. Just give some detail about it. My spot is high in a tree over looking a small water hole in the middle of the hard woods. Main trail coming in with some deercain in it. its waht i call that upper 3rd on a ridge,(bench)

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
I use to drive over an hour to hunt everday. Than I moved to a new house :D Pretty populated believe it or not. Anyways, I got permission to hunt the land across me one day. After I seen a 14 point :mg: There is a strip of woods about 100 yards wide and 1/2 mile long. Houses scattered pretty much on both sides. The deer use it as a funnel to get back and forth across the island. What a hot spot :smile: I set my stand on one side of a opening by a field. And I have a blind when I take my son with me located right smack dab in the middle of the woods. I haven't got a shot on the big on as of yet, but it's a new season. :D

·
Banned
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bowmanhunter said:
I use to drive over an hour to hunt everday. Than I moved to a new house :D Pretty populated believe it or not. Anyways, I got permission to hunt the land across me one day. After I seen a 14 point :mg: There is a strip of woods about 100 yards wide and 1/2 mile long. Houses scattered pretty much on both sides. The deer use it as a funnel to get back and forth across the island. What a hot spot :smile: I set my stand on one side of a opening by a field. And I have a blind when I take my son with me located right smack dab in the middle of the woods. I haven't got a shot on the big on as of yet, but it's a new season. :D
yah thats what i'm talking about. good luck hope you get him!

·
7,984 Posts
Well on our land, I hunt a nice funnel, where it transistions from planted pines, to hardwoods/swamps. Great stand, theres always deer, hogs and turkeys using that route.
On my new lease, it was hard to find a great place. I settled for a grown up field/hardwood area border. Theres a couple of old fire breaks still there that deer are using for travel routes to the river and to our feed plots. I set up stand about 20 feet into the hardwoods, watching the firebreaks and a water hole to my right.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
One of my favorite stands is atop a flat, that is all thick brush, intersected with some logging roads. There is one spot on the road where several trails converge and when the rut comes it is a stinkfest of active scrapes.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
If this thread is going to work, you guys have to start giving better directions and more detailed descriptions

Street names, GPS coordinates, things of those nature would make it a lot more interesting to read :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
Here in CT you can go to big woods and get lost or not. I used to go deeper than anyone so I would have no chance at seeing another hunter and the best chances of seeing a big buck. That all changed in the last 10 yrs. We now have lots of towns that have unlimited deer tags. Not only Doe. I turn in a few Doe tags and get another buck tag for that area. So I can really take as many deer as I want. When the hunters enter the woods the deer exit. Right into residential areas and me. Most of my hunting now is done with in 100yds of the lawn line. Where the woods start. From years of watching these deer observe people working and playing in there yards I have pretty much found patterns that have not failed to produce for me, EVER! 2 to 3 days in any one of my dozen plus spots will produce. I use houses as funnels areas and stalk between my tree stands. I can bait but have no need. I also find that the deer become nocturnal when baited. Why feed in the light when it’s there in the dark? My go to towns are Monroe, Danbury, Newtown, and
Middlebury (where I live, 18 acres in my back yard full of deer). I’ll take the smallest Fawn for me and donate most of the rest. Dozen deer easy in one season.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I'm hoping my best spot is one I haven't hunted yet, I discovered it while walking the property at the end of last season.I'll try to describe it as best as I can.

Two strips of cornfields run east/west across the property, they are on high ground, a gully runs between them. At the back of the property the gully is probably 30 feet deep and about 150 feet across, the sides are pretty much straight up. As the gully heads to the front of the property it narrows and the sides become more gradual. I found the spot where you can pretty much walk across and several trails converge. It's about 50 yards off the edge of the field.

There is a good tree about 20 yards from this point.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I do not know if I would say I have that "best spot" as of right now! The lease that I was on last year was sold, and the 20,000 hunting plantation that we hunted we cannot anymore! :sad: I still have the land that I hog hunt on, but alot of it has 3-8" of water standing in it, and the hogs are a nightmare!!! :angry: So, we are in the process of refiguring alot of our hunting!

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Don't know...

B/C I haven't found it yet.... :eek:

The spot I used last year to get my 1st deer was a COMPLETE FLUKE! :eek: BUT, I'm man enough to admit it....

I'll tell you about my "best" spot after this year.... gotta see/kill deer from it for it to be a good spot.

-ZA206

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
BEANS, CORN, WATER, BEDDING, TRAILS, TRACKS, RUBLINE.
DOUBLE BULL BLIND, SUMMIT TREE CLIMBER.
NO HUNTING SKILLS.

This pretty much sums up what you will find in my hunting area.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My best spot is a classic funnel or choke point where a large ravine backs right up to the tree my treestand is hung in. The timber in front of the stand narrows to about 20 yards and man do the deer use this as a travel corridor between a major bedding area and some crop fields. It's by far my most productive spot - I usually don't even hunt it till the last weekend in October and I'm here to tell you I've shot some great bucks from this stand.All I can tell you is that it's in Nebraska!!! :wink:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
while scouting a few yrs back we found a piece of state land in the area of mn we hunt and it is about 120 acres surrounded by private land with one rd that is the easment in and out. the rd is always swampy and the only way in is to wade in the muck or have a real good 4x4. i dont wade in muck so thank god for toyota tacoma anyway it is a ridge of oaks with swamp on all sides and a corn field within 300 yds. the club that owns alot of the surrounding land had hunted this without anyone else in it for years. haha not anymore we have killed several good deer in this small plot

·
Registered
18 Posts
My stand is hung where two brush choked creeks come within 30 yards of each other. The deer must funnel through here to get to an oak grove located behind my stand. It's a great location.... until my neighbor starts riding his 4 wheeler along the creeks looking for ducks... about an hour before dusk... :cry:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a pretty good spot right out behind my house. The neighbor lets me hunt there, if I give him deer steaks. There is a field and a swam behind the field and almost in the middle of the small swamp is a lone apple tree. The tracks under this tree looks like a cow pasture. The problem is its hard to hunt because all the trees are small. I like getting up in a stand but its hard to here. My closest tree near the apple tree is about 60+ yards from it. I seen a couple good ones last year but could not get shots. Maybe I'll try a blind of some kind this year. Here is a pic of the area. The number 1 is where I put my treestand, of course right in the corner of the field. The circle is the apple tree. And of course the light colored area is all swampy.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
best deer huntin spot

my best huntin spot is in ash tree beside a creek overlookin a field about a acre or two big with a ~~HOT~~ trail comin thru the creek across the field. i have my lone wolf hang on stand up about 25 ft. up in it with cover behind me beside the creek and a little field behin me. i have a salt lick about 20 yards to the left of me beside the trail with deer co-cain black magic and co-cain block in it. i walk in the creek to git to my stand to hide the scent. i have a few lanes cut. up on the hill i got a second stand. it is overlookin a pond.

·
Registered
564 Posts
not public land...

This is ths 1st prv. land I get to hunt on, the farmer said I should try thies places and I would do good. Its a funnel between the river and pond. I havent even set foot on it yet. 31 days to go !

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts