Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

So indoor season is over and I am setting up my indoor bow for outdoor right now. I have some nano pro's built up and ready to rock. I will be shooting my Commander with a limb driver. I have a couple questions.

1) When shooting uphill and downhill I have heard some guys use some sort of an angle meter and a calculator to figure how they need to add or subtract yards.

I have also been told a rangefinder with ballistic compensation is acceptable for doing this as well. I have a Leupold RX-II I have used with great success with hunting. Will this be good for field? Does anyone have any advice on how to set it up or use it for field?

2) Has anyone shoot nano pro's off a limb driver? Anything i need to keep in mind when setting up my bow? I have heard to not pay attention to paper tuning so much and make sure that my arrows group correctly. Is this correct?

3) Anything else I need to know about field?

I am going to set up my sight tape tonight, shoot through paper, and get sighted in at 20 yards. Planning on going to shoot my first field round on Wednesday (weather permitting). Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah my buddy has a computer program to set up the tape. I am not sure which one but i know it is the top of line one on the market right now.

· Administrator
65,643 Posts
Well, you have a couple of options.. most of them will also print uphill/downhill cut charts... or, you can just use your rangefinder and get a printout of the yardage settings for your sight and use that for cuts on the angled shots..

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds groovy, I will play around with it tonight and try to figure it out.

· Registered
2,359 Posts
i think you will be cutting yrds.. for uphill and downhill.... i don't use cut sheets, i just "listen" to those that do, and judge accordingly...

most of my field shooting is here in flat-orida, so i don't have any real working knowledge... a compensating range finder would be beneficial..

i also shoot one arrow for all venues .. fatboys... (for now anyway )

you'll get some more knowledge from otheres on here soon enough....

carry extra nocks, and few extra arrows.... maybe a drink or two and maybe some snacks..

HAVE FUN !!

· Grumpy Old Man
26,862 Posts
Make sure you have your sight leveled on the third axis.....otherwise it won't matter if you use a cut sheet or a range finder........(been there done that :frusty:)

· Administrator
65,643 Posts
Make sure you have your sight leveled on the third axis.....otherwise it won't matter if you use a cut sheet or a range finder........(been there done that :frusty:)
Excellent point RCL.. :thumb: If ya shoot hills, you'll need to level your third axis on your scope.. ;)

· Registered
2,359 Posts
PHP:

yeah-yeah..... don't forget the level... !

ummmmmm... got l - - - - ....... never mind....:eek:

· Registered
255 Posts
Use this formula for your cut's : minus 1 yard for every 10 degrees of angle.

If you're setting your marks w/o a programmed tape , i.e. an LAS version , set your tape @ 40 and 60 yds or 30 and 50 yds.. There's too much play @ 20 yds.

· Registered
3,617 Posts
You guys are taking all the fun out of field archery. Go out find a down hill target and shoot it a few times and it will tell you how much to cut and go from there. Get every thing level on your sight and practice, practice, practice!!!!! Have fun, this tecnical stuff just gets in the way. Although I will say the new computer sight tapes are great.
Hope you enjoy field archer as much as I have the last 30 years.

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
You guys are taking all the fun out of field archery. Go out find a down hill target and shoot it a few times and it will tell you how much to cut and go from there. Get every thing level on your sight and practice, practice, practice!!!!! Have fun, this tecnical stuff just gets in the way. Although I will say the new computer sight tapes are great.
Hope you enjoy field archer as much as I have the last 30 years.
That's all well and good if you're shooting a course that you've shot before - maybe numerous times before. The first time I ever shot the Hill that Billy built was the first time I had ever been on the range. And trust me, if there's a range on the east cost where inclines/declines come into play, it would be this one. :shade:

· Registered
345 Posts
The best things I can tell someone just getting into Field are:

- Don't worry about your score 'till the last arrow hits. . .because until that point, you don't have a score. Take it slowly, one shot at a time, and focus.

- Angle cuts are important, and must be accounted for- especially so on courses that have more than 10° of incline/decline to the targets.

- Don't be afraid to let-down if the shot doesn't feel right or if you feel you may have forgotten something in your shot routine. Better to let-down and double check then to whiff a perfectly good shot. Every one of those 112 shots count. I know I have personally left more points on the range than I care to mention due to simple mental lapses.

- Most of the folks shooting with you will give you all the info you need as far as shooting protocol (like which shooter shoots what target and when). You will find that an overwhelming majority of Field shooters are very nice, helpful individuals. Not that other archery gamers aren't helpful and friendly. . .but having tried several different games I find that Field Folks are probably the most collectively helpful and friendly group going.

- HAVE FUN :grin:

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. I plan on heading to the range to night to start tuning and getting everything set up. I will let everyone know tomorrow how it goes.

· Registered
3,617 Posts
Prag. you are right, the Hill at Cumberland is tough. Thats my home club and learned to shoot on the "hill". I know that all the new programs will help the new shooters get it right quicker. When I started we had no help with computer programs and it was a lot of fun learning the cuts with a new bow.We had no third axis leveling on our sights. The new faster bows will fool a guy that was used to the slow bows of yesterday.
My Jennings Shooting Star was slow and I had to cut the down hill 80 yard by 4 yards, now with the Martin I shoot I cut 2 1/2 yards on that target.
So the new programs will take the guess work out of the equation. If you want top scores real soon use the new programs, I personally like the old school way of doing things.

· Registered
1,825 Posts
One of the old lessons is: Make the 1st shot perfect..ALL THE TIME!!! This will let you know what you need to cut. Glass the target before you shoot. The holes in the paper will tell if the target shoots short or long..As a rule 0 to 10 degrees down no cut but more then 10 degrees start cutting. I cut 1 yard from 10 to 15 Degrees and 2 yards from 15 to 20 degrees. This is just a starting point. Up Hill I do not start cutting until 15 degrees than I just cut 1 yard. When shooting side hills remember to lay the top limb into the hill and then let the bow come back to vertical. IF you try to start at vertical many times you will preload your shot and push it out to the side.
The good thing about Field is you will have a mark to guage your improvement. All ranges have the same distances unlike 3D and this allows you to have an actual average. NOW GO OUT AND HAVE SOME FUNNNN.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used Archers Advantage i printed out about 6 different sight tapes as i plan to play around with my DW a bit as i get this thing tuned up for my new nano pros.

The problem i found with the Archers Advantage is that it seems to think my bow is about 15 fps faster than it really is. I shot my set up through the chrono and got 248, 247, 249 fps. When i punched the data in to Archers Advantage it stated my bow should be shooting 263. So i printed out a few different sight tapes and am going to see which one is most accurate.

I also got my sight leveled and ready to rock, leagues fired up last night just as i was getting my bow together, i am headed back to the range today for some paper tuning and to sight in at 20 yds. I will keep yall posted as to how it goes.

Thank you very much for all the input here guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.