Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many have not gotten pass throughs with these expandables :

Spitfire/Shockwave/Jackhammer

I ask because I am seeing ALOT of comments on AT pertaining to non-pass throughs and I have never personally seen this with the above heads.

Just curious as to why anyone would have a problem aside from hard bone contact which would complicate any head to a degree give or take in percentage terms as to the degree.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
shockwave

I have only tried the shockwaves, and I never had any penetration problems

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have not gotten pass throughs with both the shockwave and the spitfire. I thought that last year I would give the expandable a try but I was disappointed to say the least.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i used spitfires to shoot three deer two complete passthroughs one i shot at sharp quartering away angle through the front part of the hind quarter and it lodged in the far front shoulder deer ran 25 yards and went down.personly i had good results with them keep in mind only bone i hit in pass throughs was the ribs which was no problem just my experience

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
shtr said:

I ask because I am seeing ALOT of comments on AT pertaining to non-pass throughs and I have never personally seen this with the above heads.

Just curious as to why anyone would have a problem aside from hard bone contact which would complicate any head to a degree give or take in percentage terms as to the degree.
Some years ago, when Spitfires first came out (prolly '96 or '97) I lost a buck because of them. The shot was a 25 yard quartering away shot and the arrow deflected and kicked out. I never got full penetration. From that day forward, I swore I would never shoot a front-opening expandable like the Spitfires, NAP's, Rockets, etc. ever again. I don't talk about it much any more. It's old news and there are a bunch of other broadheads out there that are better now-a-days. So I just don't bother bringing it up any more. People will shoot whatever heads they want to, regardless of what I say.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I shot Rocket Miniblasters through my speed bow and never had a problem. Usually the arrow would be embedded at least an inch and a half in the dirt after I make that perfect double lunger!

·
Registered
445 Posts
shtr said:

I have tried different mechs before (Spitfire, Shockwave, Steelheads) and after poor results due to a number of factors such as lack of penetration, etc. I gave up on them. I had been using Thunderheads and had excellent results with them except they were difficult to tune with field points which was probably more my fault for lack of tuning ability and was the main reason for me even trying mechs in the first place but with newer designs such as the Slick Tricks etc. I see absolutely no advantage whatsoever in using mechs. Not saying they won't do the job cause obviously they do in a large number of cases if not most of them but its the few times that they do fail or let you down that you will regret using them. To me the main advantage of mechs is they fly like field points to a large degree but the newer FB designs cancel some of that advantage imho. On the other hand I have yet to see many if not any mechs with real sharp blades compared to FBH which you can get razor sharp fairly easily. It also takes a lot of kinetic energy to open some mechs with huge blade diameters resulting in poor penetration etc. and when shooting from treestands some slant angles for mechs cause issues.

From personal experience shooting deer with FBH versus mechs I have by far had less issues with FBH compared to mechs. The sad part is that it was the deer that paid the price of teaching me that lesson and I hope that they don't have to pay it for you to learn it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
spitfires

I have use spitfires for the last three years and 2 times I did not get pass throughs. One because I had hit the spine and the arrow still had enough penetration to go into the top of the lungs. This shot was only five yards away and was darn near straight down out of the treestand. The second was when I hit the front shoulder heavy at 30 yards. This was a poor shot on my part and as a result I did not recover the deer. As for the broadheads they are very well made and will do the job for sure. I tried shooting the wasp cut on contact and could not get them to fly very well. I switched to the spitfires one week before season opened and they flew the same as my field points and was very happy with them. I will continue to shoot these broadheads and suggest them to other hunters as well. Just my .02

·
Registered
33 Posts
Killed a lot of deer with Spitfires, Scorpions, and Revolutions. Never got a pass through on any of them at 65lbs, 28 inch draw. However, I never lost a deer that I would blame on the broadhead and many deer went down in sight of the treestand.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I am looking for A link to these non-passing shots :embara:

I don't get it since I have just not heard tell of a case from people I know personally ....and I do know ALOT of folks locally :wink:

I guess it is a matter of the odds being that when 40K are in a group you will find things you may never have heard of before :rolleyes:

None the less .... I am hoping to get more input on this thread to help me find a potential link.

I only shoot 60# and have had pass throughs at 50 yards so I am a bit confused as to people shooting 70#+ not getting good results at 20 yards :secret:

·
Regohio
17,893 Posts
Spitfires

My experience with Spitfires wasn't good: Either I have a Magnet for Shoulder Bones or these heads weren't working. I took 4 deer with spitfires: 1 dropped on the spot 45 yards and a Pass through double lung, 2nd Buck went 10 yards angled shot one lung and liver....next deer ran about 200 yards...one lung and Liver...next deer all liver and Paunch ran 1/2 mile got lucky he died on the edge of a pond in the open...luckily I let him go that night and didn't push him!

Now the bad experiences: 8 pointer San Angelo Texas....blood...less blood...less blood..bye bye...Doe Michigan...runs off with arrow behind right shoulder...blood...less blood... Buck Michigan...angle probably liver most of one lung (Bubbly Blood) and the same story!!!

Of all those Deer...2 Pass Throughs...I have a 30 inch draw, shot at about 72 pounds and used ACC 3-60 or ACC 3-71's at that time.

My experience with Spitfires was...No Pass Throughs!!!

Now you guys can send all the bad shot threads you want...When you see pink bubbly blood and you see an arrow behind the shoulder you expect more!

But, they are accurate?

Todd

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have taken a number of whitetails with jackhammers and I always got pass-throughs with them.

I switched to steelheads a few years ago and have had great success with them also.

·
Banned
2,877 Posts
2 bucks 4 does 1 turkey..all passthroughs with 100 gr. spitfire, 370 gr. arrow, 65 lb. bow..with that being said i'm trying the steelhead 100 rockets this season just for a change..but will go back to spitfires if the rockets don't perform..

N

·
0 Posts
spitfire is the only one I have used and they always pass thru. I shot a deer straight down and it stuck the spine(not thru) Bear shot and hit opposite shoulder(not thru) Deer shot really bad shot but got lucky and hit a main artery(not thru). So if you put it in the right spot you should pass thru no problem but if you hit hard bone, not likely to pass. I did recover all animals though. I like em.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have used a couple different mechs one season years ago. The 100 GRAIN
1-3/4 INCHES Jackhammer SST, did very well that year and I had a couple of pass through on broad side shots, shooting at 274 fps and total arrow weight of around 430 grains give or take. Most of the shots were within 20 yrds. Havent shot mechs since the late 90's...I have had success but I just dont have confidence.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Regohio....I don't slam people for this kind of thing :zip:

I do on the other hand feel that it can be corrected and should be but that is not anything I would want to engage in on this site :embara:

But....for your problems of the past , I would suggest that an expandable gave a better chance of recovery due to the added area of damage on those soft spots.

Be that as it may....you certainly have the equipment to do the job of the pass through so I am still perplexed :embara:

·
Regohio
17,893 Posts
I hear ya

Hey, no offense taken...I wanted the Spitfires to work...that's why I stayed with them...it frustrated me...I tried heavier arrows started ACC 3-49 then 3-60 then 3-71...still Deer running off with 6 inches of fletching sticking out. I kinda have to argue on the damage part too. I did some testing too (nothing too elaborate) but, when that Arrow stops the blades close...there isn't much cutting after that...unless he was to fall on the arrow. I think expandables are great the last 3 or 4 years I have stayed with the Mar Den Vortex...125's...they are a killing machine...I've taken 5 Deer with them....3 pass throughs, one Spine...down ward angle plenty of penetration and one quartering shot that hit far shoulder. I just lost faith in the Spitfires and after that I couldn't go back...I knew they'd let me down.

Still I can't complain about accuracy those Spitfires and Vortex fly like Darts!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts