Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my drum forum there is a great thread about the Inner Voice when playing drums. It's that voice in your head that is chatting away about how you are playing, what fill is coming next, is your tempo too slow, too fast, how much you sound great or how much you suck etc.

And I think most of us have an Inner Voice while shooting arrows. I do. Especially, during tournaments and moreso during pressure shoots. ALL SORTs of thoughts run through my head.:eek:

What does your INNER VOICE say to you while shooting and how do you deal with it? And do you have a method to quiet your Inner Voice while shooting? Or do you encourage your Inner Voice to chat aways between your ears? :)

OX

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I use the inner voice to relax me....it chats and things run away..."Look at that" "I wonder if he knows...." right until I get the arrow on the rest.

Than my inner voice says only one thing....just a letter....X

That's what I strive for anyway.

Admitedly...sometimes it keeps chatting about lunch or boobs or something other than the target and I snap out of it after the release.

"Anyone see where that one went?":D

·
Registered
11,005 Posts
I shoot best when I get my inner voice to SHUT UP! Typically it has nothing constructive to say and often throws unrelated information into the mix that really kills a good score.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I always listen to the inner voices in my Treestand. It tells me where to hang it:)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Just like my tag line says below "pick a spot." I shoot both recurve and compound and the instinctive recurve shooting has really disciplined me with the compound. Spots, 3D, deer, etc. I really try to make sure I have a very specific aiming point. Sometimes its as small as a hole in a target I made or someone else made in the bullseye, sometimes its a sunlight spot or shadow on a 3D target in the 10/12 ring and sometimes its a crease in the muscle as the deer is standing there. My mind tells me "Pick a Spot" and do not shoot until you have one.

I also have a inner voice that says....."What the ......... were you thinking!?" :rolleyes: :) This is my "I screw up" inner voice that is followed by.... "Ok....slow down, keep the bow pointing at the target and release smoothly....its not a race."

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
:confused: hm I'm a semi-pro drummer as well, but I don't have any inner voices, not in archery nor in drumming...:confused:

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
My inner voice is always asking for a beer! I must obey my inner voice!:darkbeer: :darkbeer: :darkbeer:

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Over the past year, I have been trying to train my "inner voice". I will say words like Steady, or Push (referring to pushing your pin like a thumbtack into the x-ring), or Hold. Now my mind occasionally wanders, but that is a different story.

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
my inner voice says "PUNCH IT!!!!"

Then it realizes I'm shooting back tension and then it just starts arguing with me..

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Concentrate, Concentrate, Concentrate, That's what my inner voice says. I also have an outer voice that says alot more. IT'S CALLED MY WIFE.:)

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Inner voice is there all the time no matter what you do.....Drums, Archery, work,cutting the grass.....Even if you think you can turn it off you can't.

I thinks its all about how you react to what its telling you to do.

Take a boxer for example.....When someone is taking a swing at you, your inner voice is telling you to get the heck out of the way but sometimes the correct thing to do is step forward ??? To become a succesful boxer you will have to train yourself to not pay attention the the vioce telling you to step back.

How you react to the inner voice is exactly what I think seperates us (Humans) from the animals....

Her is a great quote for a movie I seen.....

"To make a fighter you gotta strip them down to bare wood: you can't just tell 'em to forget everything you know if you gotta make 'em forget even their bones... make 'em so tired they only listen to you, only hear your voice, only do what you say and nothing else... show 'em how to keep their balance and take it away from the other guy... how to generate momentum off their right toe and how to flex your knees when you fire a jab... how to fight backin' up so that the other guy doesn't want to come after you. Then you gotta show 'em all over again. Over and over and over... till they think they're born that way"....

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
My inner voice says, "BRING IT BACK!" I draw get the pin where I want it the it drifts away and I have to bring it back.

Then if I make a bad shot, my inner voice says, "I TOLD YOU SO!"

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Mr. October said:
I shoot best when I get my inner voice to SHUT UP! Typically it has nothing constructive to say and often throws unrelated information into the mix that really kills a good score.
Yeap, I think my inner voice is a real nag!!!:blabla:

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
I don't shoot publicly, I just shoot out back. Here recently, I found out that I have a neighbor that is hot as all get out within clear viewing area of my course. Needless to say, I feel a little extra pressure in that I always think to myself what if that chick is watching and I make a bad shot? or if I forget she might be watching and I bend over to pull out arrows and expose the crack of my butt? Its probably not quite the tension that a competition shooter feels but still makes me a little tense. So basically, my inner voice just reminds me that just cause I'm shooting in an informal area out back doesn't mean that I can lose focus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts