Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ABout 3 weeks before the season I start taking scent free showers and stop using things like after shave.I also hang all my hunting stuff out side.Then every morning before i go out I take a scent free shower,wash my hair scent free then dry off with a scent free towel.I get dressed outside then spray down with whitlightning.If Iam hunting in the pines I take a pine bow and rub it all over me.If iam camping I keep all my hunting clothes in a big rubber tub and will use campfie as a cover scent.Iam just curious as to what you do.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
old Graybeard said:
I wash by body & my clothes with unscented soap daily, keep my nose into the wind and go hunting.

Yep....same here.

I learned some lessons last year. I transitioned from rifle hunting to bow hunting all the time. I never had any idea how tough it was in terms of scent. You have to exercise sooo much more discipline.

I picked up the Dead Down Wind kit and some of their E3 spray. I'm confident in this stuff.

I'm also going to bite the bullet and get a Scentlok suit. I'm leary about the effectiveness but it's worth a try. I was planning on getting a high quality camo rainsuit anyway....the Scentlok suit I'm looking at is waterproof / windproof as well and just a tad more than the other one.

All that being said, the wind is the biggest factor for me.

I added a compass to my gear. I get on accuweather.com prior to hitting the woods and check the hourly wind directions and plan my stand sites accordingly.

This bowhunting stuff is a lot more difficult but way more rewarding for me.

Good luck and safe hunting.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I shower with the scent free bodywash from Hunters' Specialties, and use the baking soda-based deoderant. I wash my leafywear in scent free detergent and use some of those dirt-smelling dryer sheets. I spray down with a good dirt smelling coverscent, and hit the woods. Been good enough so far...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I don't think you can go totally scent free no matter what you do. I have had days where deer are downwind and smell nothing and I have had days where they pick u up in a heartbeat. The best thing to do is just keep the wind in your face and try to be as scent free as possible.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,261 Posts
CDay said:
:wink: I don't worry about scent control, I just go and hunt with the wind in face.
That sounds good but the wind doesn't always blow the same all morning or evening because of thermals and heating and cooling conditions. You can predict some but not all the wind changes. I do exactly what the original poster does...it can't hurt.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use homemade scent killer, drink vinegar and leave my clothes in the barn.
If you have access to a dairy barn, leave your clothes in there and you will have a very effective scent killer.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I use Scent Killer clothing spray, clothing wash, deodorant and body soap.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thats all good but

what do you guy's do with your treestands and backpacks? Where do you keep your boots? I keep all my stuff in a scent free closet in my shop. I built a new house and shop earlier this year. I put in a scent free closet to put backpacks stand seats and such in.

Lot's of people wash well but don't think about the other stuff!

Just sayin!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wash all of my clothes hunting and work scent free ,I also use a hunting soap 365 hunting deoderant and ,when I hunt I use a body/hair jell deoderizer ,hang my hunting clothes out side ,I also get dressed out side :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
173 Posts
deadquiet said:
That sounds good but the wind doesn't always blow the same all morning or evening because of thermals and heating and cooling conditions. You can predict some but not all the wind changes. I do exactly what the original poster does...it can't hurt.
I agree! Maybe the wind blows the same direction where you live but around here in seems to switch back and forth constantly. How can someone keep the "wind in your face?"

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well when the wind changes direction then it is time to change up my hunting as well.
It is funny guys were taking deer , and some pretty nice unmanaged bucks, back in the day before all of this technology and the deer herd numbers were alot lower than they are today. So go figure if it worked for them back then when deer hunting was much more difficult and demanding due to lower deer numbers, It sure as heck should work with the deer numbers we have today.:)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I use a multi-pronged approach.

One month prior to the opening of the season, I begin using unscented bar soap (Dove Sensitive Skin Formula)and unscented shampoo (Dove again) in the shower every day. At this time I also stop using cologne or aftershave, and use unscented hair spray (Salon Selectives). Basically, every thing I put on my body is unscented. I even use unscented shaving cream (Edge Gel) and unscented anti-perspireant (Arm&Hammer). I don't use the anti-bacterial "Hunter's Soap" every day for two reasons; one - it's expensive and two - it really starts screwing up my skin after repeated use. So, I save the anti-bacterial Hunter's soap for just the few days immediately preceding and including the days that I go hunting. For my pre-hunt and hunt showers, I make sure I use a wash cloth or shower sponge and scrub relatively hard. This helps immensely in removing dead skin cells. Research has shown that deer can detect just a few skin cells, so I make sure I remove as many dead ones as I can. Note: You don't have to scrub your damn skin off. And finally (I think...) the last thing I do is the night before I go on a morning hunt, I take a shower before I go to bed. Then I take another when I get up, just before hitting the woods (or getting in the truck). I continue to use this system throughout the entire hunting season; September - January.

In addition to the un-scented body treatment, I also switch to using unscented laundry detergent (All for Sensitive Skin) in the washing machine 100% of the time. And if my wife has to use dryer sheets, we use the unscented kind (Bounce Unscented). This helps to greatly reduce any scent residue in the washing machine and dryer that might transfer onto my hunting clothes. I keep my clothes in 13 gal. Rubbermaid bins with closed-cell foam sealant around the lid. I also never travel to my hunting location in my hunting clothes. I change into them once I get to where I park my truck and walk in. Also, another thing I do which I feel helps a bunch is I find a tree close to where I park my truck and hang all of my clothes there while I’m not in the stand. So, basically my clothes are always in contact with fresh “woodsy” air unless they’re in their sealed bin.

I also purchased a big outfitter pack from Cabela’s so I can pack 90% of my clothes in and get dressed much closer to the stand so I don’t work up too much of a sweat. This not only helps keep me scent free, it also helps keep me nice and warm on those cold days on stand.

Another thing I do is keep my hair really short during the hunting season. This helps me keep it nice and clean.

This system has enabled me to get VERY close to whitetails and not be detected. And no, I don't use carbon clothing, nor have I ever needed to use it. Hope this helps. May be a tad bit obsessive, but hey, I'm a bowhunter, and that's normal for us!!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
scent free

Well I usually take 2 showers a day all year, wash my hunting out fit when they need it. wear rubber boots to my stands, use the wind to my advantage and kill my three deer per year average as I have done for many many years. Tried the full scent control thing a few years back,could not tell any difference.
but to each his own!

·
Registered
36,020 Posts
All equpiment gets sprayed down with scent killer
All clothes washed in sportsman wash
Shower before every hunt, with that green hunters soap from walmart.
clothes are washed before every hunt( no exception) this makes my wife crazy.
take a small bottle of scent killer to the stand with me and spray off every 2 hrs
chew apple gum
wear 18" rubber boots
Wear scent blocker clothes....Jury will never be in on scent clothes

all clothing stored in airtite bags when not being used
always dress outside and away from human odors

use earth cover scent.

tree stands set for the wind...and hope the wind direction does not change.

take different routes to stand so deer dont pattern me.

I also dont spend too much time hunting one area.

·
Registered
174 Posts
scent a way spray & wash for my clothes, Hang dry outside (live next to the woods away from town!) thens i keep them in a big rubbermaid like container & get dressed at the woods. Scent free soaps & deoderant for me starting a week or so before season starts right through to the end of season sept. through jan 7th this year!:wink:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Scent Free Approach

one week pryor to the season i start using scent free soap and deodorant and hair wash. wash my clothes in scent away soap. spray my stands and blinds down with dead down wind. i wear scent loc suits, headgear and gloves. i am a firm believer in stealth dust also. wind to my back i walked up on 7 does bedded down and a 30 mph wind and they busted me when i stepped on a twig. talk about exciting 5 yards away. hunt happy!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts