Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I don't have a D-loop installed on my bow. I also need to find the right nocking point through trial and error.

I figured it would take me about 4-5 adjustments ( I am newbie) to find the right height for my nock point.

So here is the thing. I need to install a D-loop and do intend to install nock sets-top & bottom- eventually.

But now every-time I want to change the nock point elevation (height) I am going to have to reinstall a NEW D-loop (as I take it the D-loop would have to be

cut out), which I forsee as being an inconvenience - as in having to buy D-loop string (3-4 times) and re-loop the string everytime.

Does anyone know how to tie on a temporary D-loop (if there is such a thing), which can be either removed easily from the string and relooped

or moved easily up and down the string, but is fairly tight?

Any alternate suggestions on finding my Nock point without having to go through a number of wasted D-loops. I don't want to shoot directly from the bow

string as I shall be using a D-loop for normal everyday shooting.

Thanx.

A.

·
I have MANY BOWS
2,432 Posts
You can twist the dloop up and down the center serving like a nut on a bolt, just when you tie it don't cinch it so tight it won't move, make sure the ends are mushroomed and burned good. Youtube how to tie a d-loop.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Temporary and d-loops don't go together. Set your nock height and use tied nocking points above and below, then tie your d-loop. Once set, you should only maybe need to do small adjustments, which can be done with the rest, and you won't touch the nock points and loop again. But by using tied nock points, if needed, you can cut the loop and just twist them up or down the string and reinstall a new d-loop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey guys,

I don't have a D-loop installed on my bow. I also need to find the right nocking point through trial and error.

I figured it would take me about 4-5 adjustments ( I am newbie) to find the right height for my nock point.

So here is the thing. I need to install a D-loop and do intend to install nock sets-top & bottom- eventually.

But now every-time I want to change the nock point elevation (height) I am going to have to reinstall a NEW D-loop (as I take it the D-loop would have to be

cut out), which I forsee as being an inconvenience - as in having to buy D-loop string (3-4 times) and re-loop the string everytime.

Does anyone know how to tie on a temporary D-loop (if there is such a thing), which can be either removed easily from the string and relooped

or moved easily up and down the string, but is fairly tight?

Any alternate suggestions on finding my Nock point without having to go through a number of wasted D-loops. I don't want to shoot directly from the bow

string as I shall be using a D-loop for normal everyday shooting.

Thanx.

A.

here's a video of a way to remove d-loops without cutting them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA6AY5IQyog

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
What kind of bow do you have? Should be able to set the arrow level to 1/8 of an inch high as it bisects the Berger hole.

You can then make changes with the rest or yokes if the bow has them.

·
SuperToon'd
11,808 Posts
get a bow square to set your nock height. Less than 20.00 I believe. I have a Saunders and it is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to tuning.

·
Banned
5,673 Posts
You can twist the dloop up and down the center serving like a nut on a bolt, just when you tie it don't cinch it so tight it won't move, make sure the ends are mushroomed and burned good. Youtube how to tie a d-loop.
This^ 100% just roll the DLoop up or down that's all there is to it.

PSE 🎯

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx guys

Hey guys,

Thanx for your replies. I have a 2013 Martin Scepter V. My arrow's total weight is about 381 gr (incl. nocks, points,everything). I figured the nock point is dependent on the arrow weight.

So I do know the general rule is 1/8" above level, but I figured the exact nock point would depend on the arrow weight and I want to get it exact. Gonna be target spot shooting all the way and wanna get everything right, so i have no-one to blame but myself for bad shootin.

But as one of you suggested i could change the blade setting on the arrow rest - TT2 spring steel .10" blade.

Also, i don't get the berger hole concept. Why would the arrow need to bisect the berger hole? Do you mean that when the arrow is set exact perpendicular with the bowstring the shaft centerline needs to bisect the 2 berger holes exactly. Is there any benefit to this. I would imagine it would depend on the way the blade rest is setup. I would think as long as the arrow is set exactly perpendicular with the bowstring and its centerline cuts the berger holes level (i.e equal proportion on both holes), whether midway, top bottom, 1/2 watever of the holes, that would be sufficient. My understanding is the berger holes are just a reference to know if the arrow is set perpendicular to the bowstring (for those who dont have a leveller). So that way you can adjust the nock point up. As anyways the arrow is gonna slant (and won't be level with the berger holes) once its nock point is set.

Thanx again for your replies and keep em coming.

Regards,

A.

·
SuperToon'd
11,808 Posts
You want to be level off the berger hole to the string. Then set your knock point level to 1/8 high.

·
SuperToon'd
11,808 Posts
Hi H... D...

Thanx for the clarification on the berger holes.

Regards,

A.
No problem. I ran a search on berger holes but didn't come up with much. If i can find something I'll post it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You also do not need to install brass mocks on the outside of the loop. Once tight it will not move.

As said above, use tied in nocks on both sides of the arrows nock and tie the loop outside of those nocks.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
If you don't crank down super hard on the pliers, a loop can be loosened with fingers alone and tied nocksets screwed up or down the string. You should not have to cut the loop from the string.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
If you don't crank down super hard on the pliers, a loop can be loosened with fingers alone and tied nocksets screwed up or down the string. You should not have to cut the loop from the string.
This is the best answer. You can push the rope back through the knots with needle nose pliers to loosen them up. With tied in nock sets inside the loop you can screw them up and down the center serving for fine tuning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts