Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys here is the review of the new Ten Point Vapor RS470 I got from Wyvern Creations. David is a great guy to deal with. I first shot the Vapor and all the new Ten Points at the ATA Show in Indy. I said it then and I’ll say it now, I believe Ten Point owned the show. I don’t think anything else came close for overall features. Completely redesigned stock, rail, trigger and cocking mechanism that can be used to cock and decock the crossbow safely! I’ll cover the review the best I can and keep you updated over time. I plan on doing some videos when my son returns home and we can set aside some time for it. I believe when you get to shoot the new Ten Points you will be impressed with the advancements and with how safe they are. As you read the review keep in mind chrono’s, gauges and scales vary. I’m only reporting what I found with what I had available to use.

I’m going to give you the specs because there is a slight difference in the RS470 than previous models. Basically ½” longer and ½” more narrow. Extremely compact!

Length: 31"
Width - Axle-to-Axle (uncocked/cocked): 12" / 6.5"
Power Stroke: 17"
Draw Weight: 225
Weight in lbs. (w/o accessories): 8 lbs.
Performance:
PRO Lite 370-grain: 470 FPS / 182 FP KE
PRO Elite 400-grain: 460 FPS / 188 FP KE
EVO-X CenterPunch 445-grain: 440 FPS /191 FP KE

Accuslide: I’m sure there were several people that had a hand in creating this design and whoever they are they deserve an extra chocolate bar in the Christmas stocking. It is an ingenious design and I firmly believe it to be the best crank system on the market today. Not only is it silent but completely safe! As for detailed function, a video will work much better and I will get to that as time permits. You can let go of the handle at any time in the cock/decock process and trigger box stays put. No busting your hand or breaking your crossbow! A quick note, after you cock the crossbow, back off around 3.5 turns so the trigger box will release when you press the button to reload. Decocking is a breeze. Just put your finger against the release button, crank back until it clicks to release then backwind. I don’t know how they did it but it’s smart!

Crank handle: The new crank handle can be extended for even easier use. I find it’s fairly easy even in the shorter position. It works like a ratchet. It has a button on the handle you press for loading and unloading into the crank. It locks into place and will not come off until you press the release. If you decock the crossbow and don’t want to leave the trigger box attached there is a rod in the crank handle that folds out. Push that rod through the hold in the stock/riser that corresponds to the trigger box and it will unlatch. Then you flip the ADF up and free the trigger box.

S1 Trigger: Again, another huge improvement from Ten Point. The T series triggers aren’t bad but after you shoot the S1 you aren’t going back. If you aren’t used to a two stage trigger it might take a few shots to adjust but once you do I believe you will like it. I am estimating maybe 1lb for the take up. It is just enough so the trigger doesn’t flop loosely. Then it breaks at 3.75lb. It’s fully broken in now and I can’t detect travel in the trigger once it hits the wall. It’s a clean break from there. I let someone else shoot the crossbow and they said the same thing, clean break. I don’t think Ten Point will need to make any improvements here. Once you test the trigger for yourself you will see the drastic improvement over the previous triggers.

Stock: An all new stock design. The stock grip is thinner with finger grooves. I believe the foregrip gives you more options to vary your grip front to back over previous models while still maintaining a high level of safety. The new cheek piece/comb is very comfortable as well. It molds to your cheek. The angle of the cheek weld reminds me of some of the custom AR stocks I’ve had. Tip to tip in my opinion this is the most versatile and comfortable stock Ten Point has produced.

New micro rail: The rail has been redesigned in several ways. It is a hollow rail with lots of cutouts to reduce weight. The string doesn’t ride the rail like previous models. It barely touches the outside edge of the rail. There will be much less wear with this design! You can also now shoot any vane you want. I have a picture of the string after about 100 shots and there is no wear. Even with the hollow rail the Vapor is fairly quiet for this type of speed. I have certainly shot louder crossbows.

Speed: It hits like a ton of bricks! As the name implies the RS470 is rated at 470fps with a 370gr arrow. I don’t suggest you use that weight arrow. I believe the Evo arrows that come with this package are the right choice. With the polymer Alpha nocks they weigh 450gr. The cables had stretched just a tick so I tuned it and shot through the chrono. I got 435fps. It’s a screamer!

Accuracy: I wouldn’t shoot groups! The shots attached are at 40yd. It was raining that evening and getting dark so I didn’t fine tune the speed dial but as you can see the arrows would have all been in a very tight group. I had to turn one of the arrows to get it to come back in but the Alpha nocks make that job easy. Just remember if you need to do that, mark your new cock vane. All the Nitro’s have been accurate for me but I believe the Vapor is easier to shoot. I credit that to the new rail and S1 trigger design.

Weight: The first thing I noticed when picking up the RS470 is it’s lighter than its predecessors. It’s over a pound lighter. You can’t go by the listed weight in comparison to the previous models. Previous models were weighed without the crank and the RS470 is with the crank as it is now built in. I weighed it with the scope attached and it came up 9.79lb. Last year I weighed the XRT at 10.87 with the same set up. I don’t believe the carrying weight of this crossbow will be an issue for the vast majority of hunters. I find it comfortable to haul around.

Accessories/kit: When the Vapor comes in you will just need to mount the scope, foot stirrup, level and quiver (I don’t mount the quiver). Most of the accessories are the same as last year and I don’t see a need to upgrade anything. I find the Stag case adequate and functional. The Evo scope performs extremely well in low light and has great illumination. As mentioned I did have to turn an arrow or two but the Evo arrows deliver great accuracy. The new 6 arrow quiver is an improvement over the standard 3 arrow quiver, however; it is more suited for the Center Punch/two blade heads. You could use a 3 blade mechanical but you would have to be careful how you load them.

Conclusion: It is the finest crossbow I’ve shot to date. I’ve probably said that in the past but then they keep getting better ☺ Lighter weight, great trigger, safe and silent cocking/decocking. It carries a higher price tag than it’s predecessor but it also carries a lot more upgrades. No one crossbow is for everyone and that’s why Ten Point carries a wide variety of crossbows at different price points. I can only give you my opinion and that is if the Vapor is within your budget I would highly recommend it. It’s a pleasurable shooting experience and I think you are getting the top crossbow on the market today.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Great review Pin, very thorough ! You’re getting good at it. Lol

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha thanks Gil! Praying for you my friend! It was good to hear from you!

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool! I'm not just saying this because I have it but it's an awesome crossbow! I think you would love it!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Sounds good,Todd.
Did you have to do any adjustments to the bow since you bought it?
String wear looks minimal. Hope it’s everything you wanted.....

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Just getting into crossbows; have been shooting vertical bows for many years. What press does one need to work on Tenpoints? I have a Last Chance EZ Green press but would need an adapter for a crossbow. Thinking about either a Vapor or a Viper but a little concerned about needing to tune one just like you did with your Vapor. Thanks for the great review; it really makes me want a Vapor.

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just getting into crossbows; have been shooting vertical bows for many years. What press does one need to work on Tenpoints? I have a Last Chance EZ Green press but would need an adapter for a crossbow. Thinking about either a Vapor or a Viper but a little concerned about needing to tune one just like you did with your Vapor. Thanks for the great review; it really makes me want a Vapor.
You just need the attachment for narrow front end assemblies. I love the Vapor and Viper both!

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds good,Todd.
Did you have to do any adjustments to the bow since you bought it?
String wear looks minimal. Hope it’s everything you wanted.....

I’ve only adjusted it one time and that was today. I could have got by without doing anything but since I was already at the shop I adjusted it some. I’m very impressed so far in how well the string and cables are holding up on both stretch and wear. I like it!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Great review Pin!

Ravin R10/Mission Dagger/
Sol 390/Swat/Inceptor/Horton

1 - 20 of 79 Posts