Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the local basspro to lay my hands on a few crossbows. Really wanted to like the tenpoints as they seem to be the standard. Never really found one that fit me as they tend to be very end heavy. One thing that concerned me was the grip safety. I use shooting sticks when hunting from a groundblind and never really grip the forend. Do you guys who use the tenpoints have any trouble finding a comfortable way to shoot with sticks and a grip safety?

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
As with most things, bows have to have "fit and feel" to said shooter. Buy what feels best to you..... Ive got Tenpoint Turbo XLT II, it does not have the grip safety....I like the idea of the grip safety because it forces you to keep your fingers out of the way of the string as it fired.......I went to a Basspro to handle and shoot a few bows before I bought mine as well.......I really wanted a SZ350 or 380 but after shooting the Tenpoint I knew I had to have one........Not saying I'll never own a different brand but as for now and the forseeable future I'll be a Tenpoint shooter.....

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
If the grip safety would be a deal breaker for you NOT to buy a TenPoint, it can easily be disabled in a matter of a couple minutes.
I urge caution in doing so though. I have it disabled on my Phantom but I've been shooting crossbows for over 22 years and this was my first crossbow with one.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
I'm normally after all the safety features I can get but the fore end safety is not for me. It forces me to hold the front of the crossbow with my left hand in a position I don't like for treestand hunting.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
This my first yr with a crossbow and Im diligent about making sure of my hand placement on the forend before shooting......Im thinking about putting some sort of "feel indicator" at the point of safe grip.....Maybe a piece of moleskin.....I need all my fingers!!!!!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never touch the forstock when using a shooting stick, i grab the stick or brace my off elbow. I completely understand the need for it as I am nervous as a cat shooting offhand. I love what they did with the new ss and the wings and cant believe that won't be standard on all crossbows in the future.

·
Bringer of truth
14,911 Posts
yes , those wings (finger guards) really make sence now that a few more young people may want to get into shooting a x bow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ten Points and Wicked Ridge bows are all set to use the SteddyEddy on them. Snaps right on and pops right off a pretty neat little device to have around and it wont get in the way of a the string or cables and gives you a better place to put your hand to keep it far away from getting messed up by the string or cables. I use this while in my blind and for shots past 30 yards. Its only a mono pod but it seem to keep me level and allot less wandering around do to my disability. $0.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts