Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Tenpoint Shadow NXT and it comes with the basic scope. I am considering the XB30 or the Rangemaster. I want one with the speed compensation and I have the Hawke on my old crossbow (XB1 i think). Just want to know what makes one better than the other.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can one of these scopes be locked down after sighting it in with the correct speed?

·
Registered
28,189 Posts

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Can one of these scopes be locked down after sighting it in with the correct speed?
No, they cannot be "locked down". Once you have your scope dialed in take a sliver sharpie and make a tick mark on your speed ring and scope tube. It'll be easy to look and see if its been moved and easier to reset if it does. But to be honest the speed adjusting rings are not that easy to turn.

I've never had any of my speed rings to move.

·
Huntoholic
10,773 Posts
The Shadow NXT basic package comes with the standard Pro View 2, a fixed 3X scope that is not speed adjustable being a fixed power, this is what I had on mine"when it arrived".

Rangemaster "Pro" has variable power which makes it speed adjustable, it has very good glass is shorter than the XB-30 Pro and close in optical quality, but better suited for me on the Tenpoint bows with a better scope placement and eye relief than the XB-30 Pro did, so I mounted the Rangemaster Pro on the Shadow for the better fit and eye relief as well as smaller footprint.

The XB-30 compact does not have as good of optics as the Pro, and is not variable illumination instead 5 settings red and green, probably why it is 60 to 80 bucks cheaper retail. But they do have the better reticle in my opinion and both better than the TP reticle . The compact is not as bright optically in low light as the XB-30 Pro or the Rangemaster Pro either. I think my Rangemaster Pro is as bright and as good optically as the XB-30 Pro but has a less desirable reticle and is only good for aiming point out to 60 yards when zero's at 20 yard's, where the XB-30's both have aiming points out to 100 yards when zero'd at 20 yards.

When I get the new Stealth Elite which will come with the new Evo-X scope that is supposed to be an upgrade to the Rangemaster Pro with a better reticle. Both XB-30 models the 2 compacts and the Pro as well as the Rangemaster Pro have 30mm tube construction, allowing more elevation and windage adjustment, where the Pro View 2 3X that came on my Shadow only has a 1" tube construction.

Like I said I have both a spare XB-30 Pro SR and a Rangemaster Pro, after mounting both on my Shadow, the Rangemaster was the better fit, It is what I went with, when the new scope get's here, I may just go with the EVO-X on the Shadow as well, mainly because it is supposed to have more and better coatings on the glass for brighter and clearer optics,, should know in the next couple weeks,,,,,

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Shadow NXT basic package comes with the standard Pro View 2, a fixed 3X scope that is not speed adjustable being a fixed power, this is what I had on mine"when it arrived".

Rangemaster "Pro" has variable power which makes it speed adjustable, it has very good glass is shorter than the XB-30 Pro and close in optical quality, but better suited for me on the Tenpoint bows with a better scope placement and eye relief than the XB-30 Pro did, so I mounted the Rangemaster Pro on the Shadow for the better fit and eye relief as well as smaller footprint.

The XB-30 compact does not have as good of optics as the Pro, and is not variable illumination instead 5 settings red and green, probably why it is 60 to 80 bucks cheaper retail. But they do have the better reticle in my opinion and both better than the TP reticle . The compact is not as bright optically in low light as the XB-30 Pro or the Rangemaster Pro either. I think my Rangemaster Pro is as bright and as good optically as the XB-30 Pro but has a less desirable reticle and is only good for aiming point out to 60 yards when zero's at 20 yard's, where the XB-30's both have aiming points out to 100 yards when zero'd at 20 yards.

When I get the new Stealth Elite which will come with the new Evo-X scope that is supposed to be an upgrade to the Rangemaster Pro with a better reticle. Both XB-30 models the 2 compacts and the Pro as well as the Rangemaster Pro have 30mm tube construction, allowing more elevation and windage adjustment, where the Pro View 2 3X that came on my Shadow only has a 1" tube construction.

Like I said I have both a spare XB-30 Pro SR and a Rangemaster Pro, after mounting both on my Shadow, the Rangemaster was the better fit, It is what I went with, when the new scope get's here, I may just go with the EVO-X on the Shadow as well, mainly because it is supposed to have more and better coatings on the glass for brighter and clearer optics,, should know in the next couple weeks,,,,,

That's what I need to know. I have a rangemaster in route to me from Ebay. Thanks

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Very good assessment. I dont like the retical in the rangemaster, I find it too small to see well.

·
Huntoholic
10,773 Posts
What I find I don't like about the RM reticle is the horizontal lines,, the new Evo-X will not have them.

·
Happy Hunter
2,896 Posts
Hell my vision is terrible but my RM is much better for me than the new Hawke scopes! The new Hawke scopes have way too much going on in the reticles for my likes. I think the RM is perfect for what I’m looking for in a crossbow scope. It’s a close toss up between the RM and the Exal Tact Zone scope too. I have both on my Excalibur bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hell my vision is terrible but my RM is much better for me than the new Hawke scopes! The new Hawke scopes have way too much going on in the reticles for my likes. I think the RM is perfect for what I’m looking for in a crossbow scope. It’s a close toss up between the RM and the Exal Tact Zone scope too. I have both on my Excalibur bows.

X2

·
Regohio
17,970 Posts
If you mean XB 30 Pro vs Rangemaster…for me XB 30 Pro by a Bunch! Brightness…Clarity…Reticle…Illumination Level

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
These are all great options! Reason I said XB compact over the pro is for size. Lot of people don't realize how big that scope is. It will have the best reticle but I just can't deal with how big it is. To each their own though

·
Regohio
17,970 Posts
Yes sir that sucker is a Tank!

These are all great options! Reason I said XB compact over the pro is for size. Lot of people don't realize how big that scope is. It will have the best reticle but I just can't deal with how big it is. To each their own though

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Go back just a few years and you would here me singing a different tune. But anymore i wish i had over 10 power on my scopes. And size is meaning less to me. If i can't have high power you can bet your last dollar i want good glass both is better. I had a XB1 and hated that scope it worked and was nothing wrong with it for what it was.

Ive not had any of the scopes listed but my questions would simply be. What one has the best glass and a rheostat type lit reticle that goes dim. Nothing trumps seeing and shooting the deer that last min.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Has there been any recent updates on the Evo x scope ? There has been some nice scopes come out but the reticles are getting too busy for my liking . A scope with a reticle similar to the rangemaster but with better optics would be nice . Your average hunter does not need a reticle to shoot to a hundred yards . Plus the overall size and weight of the rangemaster is nice on a hunting bow .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts