Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in Wyoming and about to hunt elk and muleys for the whole month of September backpacking in..
I need a waterproof, light, durable 2 person tent. Will probably be seeing rain, snow. Wind— all of the above.
Anyone have a suggestion on what I should look into most.
I’m between a big Agnes, msr or rei. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Back packing in or truck camping?

·
Registered
638 Posts
https://www.bigagnes.com/Fly-Creek-HV-UL2-Person
This is what I have and used it on a trip last year where the temp dropped pretty chilly with a stiff breeze but I stayed warm in my bag. I had condensation build up but it was Bc of the area I set up in. The grass didn’t allow for very good ventilation. The steep walls shed moisture very well and condensation never dripped on me. I love the tent. Very light and packs down to nothing. I’d suggest the footprint for it as well for extra protection on the floor.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! Ya I’ve looked into this one, the rei quarter dome and msr hubba hubba but mostly aiming towards this one and the rei.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Awesome! Ya I’ve looked into this one, the rei quarter dome and msr hubba hubba but mostly aiming towards this one and the rei.

You can find this big Agnes for sale if you look around. Not a tent guru by any means but the reviews are pretty good and the weight is very small considering it’s a tent with poles and stakes. If you are an ounce counter you can buy titanium stakes to save weight but the ones that come with it are super lite to begin with. I’m not a minimalist. I enjoy comfort and if that means a pound or two extra, so be it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you against floorless?
I've been floorless the past few years now and doubt I'll ever go back.
I run a kifaru megatarp with annex and stove.
I'd also recommended any bearpaw wilderness design shelters.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I agree man!! I don’t mind some weight! I just want one that I know will
Keep me dry! Thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Also, if you get the footprint, you can use that, the poles, and the rain fly with stakes for a quick shelter or in hotter weather without needing the tent.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Are you against floorless?
I've been floorless the past few years now and doubt I'll ever go back.
I run a kifaru megatarp with annex and stove.
I'd also recommended any bearpaw wilderness design shelters.
I know I am! I like knowing I don’t have to worry about creepy crawlers! Lol.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have a Kuiu Mountain Star 2P for early season hunts when I want to travel very light and the temps won't be too cold.

For hunts where it will be cold, I really have enjoyed using a Kifaru Sawtooth floorless tipi with stove. The weight is not bad for 1 person and is a no-brainer when you can split the weight between two people. The tipi and poles weigh about 4.8 lbs and stove is close to a pound. The warmth inside the tent, spacious footprint, and being able to get dressed standing up make this such a nice option for backpacking in for your hunt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I live in Wyoming and about to hunt elk and muleys for the whole month of September backpacking in..
I need a waterproof, light, durable 2 person tent. Will probably be seeing rain, snow. Wind— all of the above.
Anyone have a suggestion on what I should look into most.
I’m between a big Agnes, msr or rei. TIA!

It's crazy how much location changes your shelter. There's no possible way I would consider sleeping on the ground here in Florida. I made that mistake one time when I was 16 and woke up with a pissed off 6' rattle snake in my tent. Hammock and a rain fly from then on!

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
I backpack with a 2-man REI half Dome, and sun, rain, snow it's kept me dry [which is the iggest key to keeping warm]. Definitely go for the foot print, weighs nothing and packs right into the tent bag, or the pockets of your cargo shorts if need be [a tested, tried and trued technique]. Doors on both sides and the rain fly creates a bit of a vestibule to store things outside the tent like packs or boots when conditions are right.

Look for something low profile and easy to set up- huge help in the wind. Also, invest in those big "nail" stakes or something similar and heavy duty. More weight to carry but more than worth it in the winds. I've even used ice screws in some instances, but those were trips where camping wasn't the greatest idea and ego was the driving force.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use a black diamond single wall HiLight- it is an awesome tent. Steep walls to maximize room, and a huge go ceiling make it great for taller guys. It does well in weather as long as you seal the seams, and it is super light.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
If you have the money looking for a floored tent and can swing it, hilleberg is the best out there. If you wanna go floorless kifaru, and seek outside are top of the line. I’m on a budget and own a kelty salida 2 which comes in around 4 pounds and has been through a lot of bad weather and held up great. I picked it up for around $80 on sale. My floorless is a mountainsmith mountain shelter 2. It weighs around 35 ounces with stakes. Great shelter, plenty of room. I am going to add a stove jack to it and pick up a stove eventually.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Over the last 20 years my wife and I have owned several models of Big Agnes tents. Top notch products, and while we've never planned a trip for snow, we have always been prepared on the several times we got caught in it. As ddavis mentioned before, condensation is a real concern: wet down is nearly useless as an insulator. If you cover your face with a mummy bag the down around your head can get soaked, too.
My experience is that your bag/liner/ground-insulator combination is the most important piece of equipment for providing good rest and preventing fatigue on a long trip. Careful planning on where you set a tent up can really increase its effectiveness, but an underrated bag is hard to work around.
Sounds like you have a epic trip planned!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts