Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Brent,

How is it going upin NC? I have not had Parkers BBQ in a long time from up there. To answer your question though, I will spray Bowhunter's Setup around my stand when I first get to it, one as an attractent, and two to check the wind direction. Then every 30-45 minutes I will spray some again, for the same reasons. Take care up there, and eat some Parkers for me!:D

·
Registered
745 Posts
You are making me sick:( . I have a family farm in Winterville, NC, and use to love to eat at Parkers, and Bums in Ayden. I miss it something bad. The people down here do not know what good BBQ is:( .
You only have about a month before your bow season comes back in, right?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Good luck, buddy!:) Keep me posted on how you are doing.

·
Registered
852 Posts
A piece of kite twine or thread off of the end of the stabilizer works pretty well...

What I've been doing the last couple of seasons(with EXTREMELY good sucess, I might add), is playing prevaling winds, terrain features, and the time of the day that controls thermals, and STILL reducing my scent as much as possible(chem suits, spray, and EVERYTHING CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!!!

That way, even if the wind isn't always in my favor(in most of my hunting areas, the wind often shifts), it still works out well... It's been my experience, that if you reduce your scent well enough, and don't leave any ground scent to speak of, deer will still wind you, but think you're MUCH farther away than you actually are - and still come in with relative abandonment - because they KNOW the wind is in THEIR favor, and yet their nose is telling them that the threat(you) is too far away to have to worry about(meanwhile, you're coming to draw at 10 yards, hahahaha!!!!) Tie all that in with good use of the right calls at the right time, and maybe a little "scent use" here and there, and.....I hope that all makes sense...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
726 Posts
I hunt on the ground, spot & stalk.
I just reach down and grab a small handfull of whatever, dry grass, dust, dead leaves or pine needles and drop em, watch wich way they drift.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I have a little, down goose feather tied to my riser with floss.:) Works great! Renewable every November too.:D I hunt on the ground also.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I take a cottonball with me for checking wind direction. Pull a few small fibers from it and release it into the wind. Be sure to pull a very small amount off, as the smaller it is, the farther it will float. Also remember that the larger it is, the easier it is to see.

I had a nice doe scent me one year. I knew she was downwind of me, or so I thought:confused: So after she spooked, I reached into my pocket and pulled the cotton out and released a few little fibers. About 10 yards from my tree, the little fiber turned slowly and went to the exact spot that the doe was standing, as if being pulled by a string. You get some swirly winds hunting the mountainous areas. It's almost like you never have a constant wind direction.:( The stuffing in teddy bears works well too;) Don't ask my kids how I know that:D

JP

·
Registered
293 Posts
Kildog I just stick my butt in the air and if you say something I know the wind is out of the North.......:p

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Take anything fine, dust, small leaves, grass, flint etc. and drop it. Common sense here. As for Oldog48 sticking his butt in the air, it is a legitimate cause for therapy.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
t-bone on monster bucks

have you seen his wind checkin method?? watch the new volume 1 part of monster bucks. good method, let the camera man tell you if your good to go!! easton94

1 - 17 of 17 Posts