Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you had any luck hunting hogs over solely over hand thrown corn? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Do a post hole set. Dig down 2-3 feet with a post hole digger. Fill with corn and powdered drink mix. This is gonna sound stupid, but the hogs in my area go bonkers for 4C brand Pomegranate Berry flavor powdered drink mix. I don’t know what it is about that particular small but they’re reaction to it is more voracious than other flavors. It helped me shake my hogs of their nocturnal habits. Yes, crazy, but on three different properties it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a feeder but there is not a good tree for a stand and it's tough to hunt hogs out of a blind after dark. I could put up a feeder about 100 yards away that has a good tree for a stand and let the other one run out but I'm concerned about it messing up my original setup. I would only run it after deer season. What do you think?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a feeder but there is not a good tree for a stand and it's tough to hunt hogs out of a blind after dark. I could put up a feeder about 100 yards away that has a good tree for a stand and let the other one run out but I'm concerned about it messing up my original setup. I would only run it after deer season. What do you think?
I use the photocell controlled landscape lights at my feeders--4 of them are bright enough to shoot with the rifle from 125 yds away (scope has heavy duplex reticle) and at bow range, it is just fine. Be sure in your setup that you have them between you and the feeder/corn so the light glare is in the hogs' eyes and not your own. You can get the lights off Amazon-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...a-db56-478a-b511-f59f2469d474&pf_rd_i=desktop

I have a pic of the setup but that dang photobucket site has it held hostage and I refuse to pay their exorbitant fee to show my own picture. Lights are in a piece of 2x4 that is up on a tall t-post about 8' off the ground.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will this new setup mess up my current setup? As I said, I have a feeder and hunt it from a ground blind only due to there not being a suitable tree. I can buy another cheap feeder and put it about 100 yards away from the existing feeder that has a good tree to hunt hogs out of.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
my preferred method night time ground blind

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Just mount the feeder to a 5 gallon pail. Ratchet strap it to a 10’ 4x4 post. Sink it into the ground a few feet. Done. No tree needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts