Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be heading to Texas for a couple of months for some military training at some point in May or June. Dates are not set in stone yet... I am wondering what, if any, bow hunting opportunites there are in the San Antonio area during that time? I looked at the TX game & fish website but it didnt look like there were any open seasons? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hogs, javelina, all exotics are open season and everywhere. San Antonio is a mecca for finding ranches surrounding the area the will have almost anything you want to hunt except for game animals. The only season going on now is spring turkey and it is not going to last very much longer in most places. The hogs and exotics are considered varmits and have no bag limit and no seasons or shooting times. You see them you can shoot them, day or night if you have the permission to do so. Javelina have a season in some counties and the bag limit is 2 per person per season, no tags required. Go to www.texasbowhunter.com and post the same question and you should get a ton more answers than you will here. TBH is a TX bowhunter site and you will get answers from the people that livew in the state, around SA and surrounding cities and may be able to hook up with some that are going to ranches to hunt or can recommend ranches. And no matter where you are from, you are not going to get bashed on that site.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being from up north we obviously do not have the variety of game/exotics/varmits that TX has. What are the Exotics/Varmits that can be hunted? I have always wanted to take a hog or javelina but am interested in other species as well. If anyone has suggestions on ranches to check out that would be helpful as well

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
sending you a pm great place thats affordable, 60 miles from san antonio,, hogs, axis fallow, black buck, are currently on the ranch but i have seen red stag, oryx, watter buffalo and bison.from time to time.. if you go take a camera, not much in the way of varmints on the place,,, he always has lots of hogs,, there were 125 turned loose while i was there last week,, other ranches in the area trap them and come and drop them off on his place...and there are several over 300#

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
What exotic do you want, we virtually have all in TX and it is open season on them. Heck, even a mountain lion is a varmit in TX.

·
Registered
351 Posts
We have just about everything under the sun down here except the scimitar horned oryx and some gazelle the antis managed to make way more expensive and harder to hunt. If I was you look for an axis hunt. It's great eatin and makes a great trophy, even the does make great tanned hides. Another option is the rams. They are a good deal cheaper and make really cool euros.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts