Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Thank you for the add. I'm a 62 year old man that took up archery in the early 1970's with a Ben Pearson Colt, 42# draw at 28 inches. I haven't touch a bow since 1974 when I went into the Navy. I'm interested in getting back into recurve - barebow. So, I've hit a couple of archery shops in the Houston area and have a lesson set up for 12:00 on Saturday. The shop I went to yesterday was X10. While talking to them they let me shoot a couple of bows. I've known for some time that I was right handed with a dominate left eye. For the first couple of rounds I shot right handed and did okay. Then I took up the left hand bow, something I have never tried before, and dang, what a difference! I was amazed at how much difference it made. Since I am virtually starting over, I've pretty much decided that I will be shooting left handed. It was that much difference. Anyone else here have that problem and shoot with your weaker hand but dominate eye. Thanks, hope to meet some of y'all in the Houston area soon.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I shoot right handed/left eye dominate. I just close my left eye.

You are doing the right thing shooting left handed. I was so ingrained shooting right hand when i was young before i figured out my eye dominance, i just stuck with it.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I'm 56 years old, shot right handed most of my life (and still do sometimes). Tinkered with left hand bows. Now I shoot left handed almost exclusively.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,103 Posts
I am a born lefty thus the user name along with an old section here on AT but that is another story. Eye dominance is a big one for archery for sure. First thing I check with people entering the sport. Better to catch it early than try to switch later. By the way not toooo far away. Have been over to your area for a shoot once or twice.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cross eye dominance varies in the degree of "dominance' and accuracy can still be attained shooting the dominant hand. Switching to shoot the dominant eye is a reasonable solution but left handed equipment has more limits on availability.

Interesting stat: 1/3 of the population is cross eye dominant, the majority being left eye/right hand. The US has not sent a left-handed archer to the Olympics in 20 years. The last left handed medalist in the Olympics was 1992.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,156 Posts
I am cross eye dominant and shoot left handed. If you can make it work, and it sounds like you can, then definitely go with your eye dominance. The main rational for shooting against your eye dominance is if you can't shoot with it...and you will not know until you give it a chance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts