Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna thank OneArmArrowSlinger for inviting me to Pittsfield/Pike Co. to hunt one of the farms he has access to. We met up at his place at 5:30am yesterday morning to check out a map of the place and come up with a game plan, then hit the road for a long drive of 10 miles to the farm. After making 2 trips there because I forgot my wallet in my car at his house, we finally hit the timber.
A.M.- Made my way to the end a draw to build me a natural ground blind. About an hour into the hunt I had 4 large does come through at 40yds. I was thinking about ranging a few trees after I set-up like always, but for some reason never did. I mis-judged a large doe and shot right under her.:embara:
P.M.- After a nice lunch and some great conversation, we headed back out to hunt the afternoon. I set-up in a hedge row between 2 corn fields, thinking the deer might come to feed early in the afternoon. Again, things started out pretty slow. It was 35deg and raining off and on most of the afternoon. About 30min. before dark a nice 140ish 8pt entered the field 60yds in front of me. He made a b-line right to me as he fed on the corn. After getting with-in 40yrds, he started quartering me and looking to cross further down the hedgerow. He was broadside at 40yrds, but for some reason I decided to pass and not take the shot.
I do believe that the miss on the doe that morning had my confidence level in question. I've made shots like that with good results many times in the past, something just told me NO!

Oh well :)

Jon and I had a great time anyway, he even invited me back to hunt with him again. I have a few good spots around here to take him whem he comes out east later in the year and I'm sure we'll have a good time.

Thanks again Jon,
Joe

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a great time.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,212 Posts
Awesome deal and sounded like a fun time! Great seeing guys on here get to hunt with one another.

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
I had a great time.
From what I have read I am sure you did have a great time in Pike county and Jon sounds like a great guy. Good luck to both of you on your future hunts as well. :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts