Archery Talk Forum banner

Do you hunt Thanksgiving?

• Yes we hunt Thanksgiving morning

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Yes we hunt Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • No! My wife/mom won’t allow it lol

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Sounds like a great tradition I’d like to start.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • We used to hunt Thanksgiving but no longer

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • I’d rather watch the Lions lose another football game!

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • We golf on Thanksgiving lol

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We like to eat, ALOT

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Family food and fellowship is the theme.

Votes: 19 25.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What traditions hunting or otherwise do you have on the Thanksgiving holiday?

When I grew up we always went out early Thanksgiving morning, just the guys to hunting camp. Snowmobile’s were used some time to get down the two track before four wheel drives were the thing. Sit for a while in the woods, and then head back to deer camp and hang out at the fire. Sometimes we would Shoot the guns, pistols. Then head back to the house and celebrate Thanksgiving with all the ladies aunts cousins.

Friday & Saturday we would be up at 4 AM and headed out to hunt seriously. Back then it was as big a deal as opening day, at least for our family and all of their friends. If you weren’t 12 years old yet, you got stuck back at the fire with all the ladies eating food dreaming about when you were going to be old enough to get into the woods with the guys. Of course, almost nobody used archery equipment back then. My dad had his recurve, but he didn’t take it very seriously I don’t think. Wasn’t until 1980 when I got my first compound that I got hooked on that versus gun season.

This year it’s just my daughter and I hunting, and my wife will be prepping all the food and waiting to hear what happened hunting in the evening.

I married into a family that didn’t hunt, so they liked to watch Football and golf and if the weather allowed to go out golfing! I’ve been back to hunting for quite a while now. I prefer that!

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,467 Posts
My home state has gone through many digest changes the last few years but for a time we could fall turkey hunt on Thanksgiving day....so that's what we usually did in the morning and then had gatherings of various sizes to eat and be merry in the afternoon.

More recently the gun deer season has been change to open on the Saturday following Thanksgiving and the extra fall turkey hunting days were excluded...so now we make sure the rifles are hitting where they should be on Thanksgiving morning instead.

Reactions: Kevin2

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds like a lot of fun. We actually would rabbit hunt sometimes on Thanksgiving.
We squirrel hunt on national forest land every Thanksgiving morning. Then i fry squirrel & bacstrap for the family, wife does the rest . Usually my foods go before the ham & turkey

·
Registered
31 Posts
Never hunted on Thanksgiving Day, but we always get in some shooting. After the potluck lunch at noon, we set up a thrower and shoot through a box or two of clay pigeons playing knockout for bragging rights.

·
Registered
2021 Hoyt Ventum 30
23 Posts
Not on Thanksgiving day but the day after we use to go rabbit hunting. No Turkey was got ate the day after but rabbit with left over sides from Thanksgiving was awesome. I really miss that and might have to start it back up when my boys get old enough to go.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel bad for the Lions fans! They think if they get the best coach in the league, which they’ve actually done before, they’re still going to lose lol
It's been guaranteed lol I'm watching it happen currently.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’ve haven’t had rabbit in a long time, that really sounds tasty.
We have and would small game hunt on Thanksgiving pheasant and rabbit but its been a couple years since we have done it.
Not on Thanksgiving day but the day after we use to go rabbit hunting. No Turkey was got ate the day after but rabbit with left over sides from Thanksgiving was awesome. I really miss that and might have to start it back up when my boys get old enough to go.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts