Archery Talk Forum banner

Do you hunt Thanksgiving?

• Yes we hunt Thanksgiving morning

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Yes we hunt Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • No! My wife/mom won’t allow it lol

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Sounds like a great tradition I’d like to start.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • We used to hunt Thanksgiving but no longer

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • I’d rather watch the Lions lose another football game!

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • We golf on Thanksgiving lol

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We like to eat, ALOT

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Family food and fellowship is the theme.

Votes: 19 25.0%
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
My dad and I used to hunt ducks on Thanksgiving morning, on a lake, or in a swamp, with decoys, for many years.

Then I bought a house on a stream, and my tradition became taking my canoe upstream to the next bridge (road crossed the stream on a back country gravel road), drop in, and float back down to my house while dinner was in the oven, jump shooting ducks along the way.

Then I got married and had to sell my little paradise in the woods. 🥴

Now my dad is gone, and I've pretty much quit hunting. 😟

But man, we used to have a lot of fun on Thanksgiving mornings.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I head out in the morning for a few hours before heading back to my parents place to do all the cooking and like others said, catch up with those who feel I may have been neglecting them a touch since August 30th.

I've shot 2 of the last 3 deer on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but unfortunately this year I have to work, but I may still try and sneak out in the morning for a few hours again though.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Cool thread. Kinda sad though these old traditions are dying out. I just may go out Friday morning. I think rabbit hunting and squirrel hunting with family/friends sounds awesome.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
5,274 Posts
we use to Pheasant and Quail hunt Thanksgiving morning and play yard football after dinner(lunch) and hunt the next 3 days. No Pheasants and quail to hunt now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Used to go out in the afternoon for some “Me” time after the “everyone” time. Once my kid was old enough to travel long distances we went to Florida for Thanksgiving. Ate my Thanksgiving dinner in shorts on a sunny patio. Looked at my wife and told her I will never eat Thanksgiving dinner up north again. I’m about 6 years good on that promise.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I retired in upper northern Michigan, wish I could figure out a way to get down south during the winter but it doesn’t appear to be in the cards at least for a few years. Enjoy the warmth lol
Used to go out in the afternoon for some “Me” time after the “everyone” time. Once my kid was old enough to travel long distances we went to Florida for Thanksgiving. Ate my Thanksgiving dinner in shorts on a sunny patio. Looked at my wife and told her I will never eat Thanksgiving dinner up north again. I’m about 6 years good on that promise.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My dad and I used to go out in the morning for a coyote/pheasant hunt. But since my grandad and grandma have both passed traditions have changed….this will be the first year where it will just be my wife and the kids for Thanksgiving. With the Turkey and prime rib to prepare I probably won’t make it out.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Use to rabbit hunt with family every thanksgiving morning. Ever since my grandfather died it slowly dwindled down to just me. Don’t have beagles anymore due to Bowhunting being my passion. What I wouldn’t give to hear those beagles strike a track on a frosty thanksgiving morning hunting with my grandpa.

·
Vendor
26,464 Posts
When I was in my youth dad, his 2 brothers, my brother, cousin, and I all spent Thanksgiving morning rabbit, squirrel, and quail hunting. Those were the best of times. What I wouldn't give for one more hunt with them. Dad and his 2 brothers are now dead.😥 The beagles are no longer and now I bow hunt. I will be out in the morning hoping for a buck encounter.😃

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I remember years ago before I was old enough to hunt, the uncles and friends got together for a rabbit hunt and used all the kids/cousins as beagles barking and moving around the thicket lol it worked like a big deer drive, they shot a ton of rabbits that day.
Use to rabbit hunt with family every thanksgiving morning. Ever since my grandfather died it slowly dwindled down to just me. Don’t have beagles anymore due to Bowhunting being my passion. What I wouldn’t give to hear those beagles strike a track on a frosty thanksgiving morning hunting with my grandpa.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Our archery season closes the Saturday after thanksgiving, Monday
Trophy hunting Plant Hunting Deer hunting Tree

opens the shot gun season. For the past several years thanksgiving and the 2 days following we have had pretty good success. Few years ago my son shot a beautiful 8 pt thanksgiving day morning.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I haven’t played full contact football or even flag football since I was in college and we had a pick up game on a holiday and somebody decided to tackle my knee lol fun stuff until your knee doesn’t work anymore! Have fun.
Thanksgiving turkey bowl (football game). North side homes vs south side homes in our neighborhood. Great times.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
5,274 Posts
I got this Thanksgiving morning a few years ago, thing is, I was to fix Thanksgiving dinner,(Walleye) I watched it fall and called my sister and gave her instructions on what needs to be done so everything would be ready to go when I got to the house 3 hours later. It was and the Walleye was deliicious That is my sister holding the antlers

Hunting Deer hunting Human body Smile Jaw

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Awesome story.
I got this Thanksgiving morning a few years ago, thing is, I was to fix Thanksgiving dinner,(Walleye) I watched it fall and called my sister and gave her instructions on what needs to be done so everything would be ready to go when I got to the house 3 hours later. It was and the Walleye was deliicious That is my sister holding the antlers

View attachment 7508063

21 - 40 of 41 Posts