Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I keep my darned peep from rotating? I try twisting the string but it always eventually turns back out of alignment. I have a short 30" ATA bow and long draw 31.5" and use a shurz a peep. I always get the darn string right in my line of sight. My wife uses a two strand peep w/o the alignment tubing and has the same issue. We can turn the string a little when nocking an arrow and its better but what a pain. Any help out there?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The secret to keeps a peep without an aligner straight is using a quality string. What you are seeing with the peep continually twisting is the string continually creeping.

An aftermarket string and cable set will be more solid than just about any OEM string out there.

If you are not in a position to change the string and cables, then I would suggest putting in a peep with an aligner as you are going to make yourself crazy without it.

As for aftermarket strings, I would highly recomend Vapor Trail Archery. Their strings typically settle in after about 100 shots and are completely stable after that. Fast shipping (normally 2 days) and good price as well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The problem lies with the string. The only way I now how to fix this other than using tubing is to buy a quality string like Winner choice or vapour trail. I had this problem on both my bows untill I changed the strings, now it's gone away. A D loop will help a little if the peep is only turning a small amout. It's possible to glue the loop to the string but it's a bit permanent.

Regards

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll try a new string first and see if that helps.
I love this place. It has saved me so much time money and frustration. :wink:
BTW, where's the best place to buy quality strings for not a lot of $$?

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
martyapo said:
BTW, where's the best place to buy quality strings for not a lot of $$?
Here's a short list... I have owned all of these....

Deezlin here on AT. ( set I have now - awsome set )
Crackers here on AT.
Berry Strings
Vapor Trail

I left out Winners Choice because of price.

Good Luck,
NIck

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have also had H & M Strings and they work very well. One problem I had was with the d loop. I tied both ends facing the same way and it was rotating slightly around the string, for some reason when I put on a new d loop it stopped, and the only thing different is that I tied the knots facing opposite each other on the new d loop. I don't know if that did it, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, your problem may not be strickly related to the string. I do make a string which you will maintain its orientatin and restrain the peep from rotation during the draw. However, you need to orientate the peep and set it up to not rotate initially.

The string has a natural twist if it is uniform there is not need for it to twist. The reason it twists is because the twisting is not uniform or there is more twisting stress one side of the peep. When we place a peep sight in our string, it causes a non-uniformity in the twisting. This is why you should shoot them in after you install the peep. The twisting tends to equalize.

Now, I don't like to rely on the D-loop except for a very small amount. After the shoot-in, you should be able to stabilize the peep. First, the peep has to be orientated. If it is like 90 degrees, I remove one end of the string give it a half twist. Then I would install and make a few shots.

Now, if the peep is still not orientated correctly. Study the twisting a little. Then take one or two strands from one side of the peep and move them to the other side. The idea here is to keep the same number of strands on each side, but to rotate the peep around to the proper orientation.

Once that is done. The peep will probably want to rotate from that position to full draw. So, you need to stop that rotation. What is causing this is more stress on one side of the peep than the other. This is however, a guessing game. Take one strand from one side and move it to the other. Just one strand. Draw the bow and see what happens to the rotation now. If it stops, your done. If it get worse, take that strand and another one and move them to the starting side. Eventually, you will get the peep orientated in the position you want and it will draw without rotation. Usually, it only takes one or two.

I wouldn't advise you getting a new string until you try this. However, if the peep sight continues to have problems, you need to replace the string.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I agree with Redline & niceguy. I have that problem right now and i have tried everything. I actually fixed it by making a twist on one side of the bow (Top or Bottom). Of course this implies having a "softer" OEM string. Mine is exactly one year old but I shoot about 60 arrows a day minus bad weather and 3-D tournament season. New strings will be my next thing i buy.

·
Registered
864 Posts
martyapo said:
I have a short 30" ATA bow and long draw 31.5" and use a shurz a peep.
Which shurz a peep are you using? If it's the one that splits the string 3 ways, you may want to consider a different peep. If it's their 2 by 2 peep, you should be able to dial it is using the methods detailed above.

Pete

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
The only thing about the sport of archery that I can say I truly dislike is fooling around with a peepsight to get it aligned. Some fellows make it sound as easy as making a ham sandwich but I've found it's more like trying to train a goldfish.

Repeatedly pressing the bow, twisting the bowstring, then swapping strands time and time again is tedious. And when you get it set just right, tying it in knocks it right out of alignment. :mad: :mad: :mad:

One trick that usually works is tightening the D-loop at an angle on the bowstring that rotates the bowstring and forces the peep into alignment when drawn. If that doesn't work, or if it works for awhile until the loop begins to slip, the little device seen below has always solved the problem for me.

The T.R.U. Speed-Nok. Twelve bucks from Lancaster or Cabela's: Attach it to the bowstring, adjust it to rotate the bowstring when drawn, forcing the peep into perfect alignment, and your peep problems are ended for the life of the bowstring. :)

Because it is possible to introduce string torque, this device is not intended to correct major misalignments -- meaning those which are easily corrected by a half twist in the string or swapping a strand or two. But it quickly and permanently eliminates those minor misalignments which are virtually impossible to correct by twisting and swapping.

Here's one on my bowstring. I've been using these little gimmicks for years and in spite of the negative comments I've heard from some critics it works perfectly and causes absolutely no problems.

Some advice: This device is fastened with a very tiny philips screw. Do not attempt to use a large or worn screwdriver to set it. And if your hands are designed for heavy lifting, it will be helpful to enlist the aid of a woman's nimble fingers to get it attached. (Once attached, adjusting it is easy.) And plan on dropping the little screw at least once, so do this job over a surface where it can't hide if tries to escape.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Mike, I wouldn't give you two cents for either of those devices. Yes, they will orientate the peep in some cases. But, I have seen guy rely on them exclusively and even have to twist the string 180 degrees to put them on.

Now the problem with this is it you have eliminated the twisting of the string, you are only controlling it. If you use a light arrow on a drop-away and have this string wound up too much it can twist the arrow off it launching line and cause left and right variations.

The other thing which really concerns me about these devices is working loose. I have used devices similar to them and have had screws disappear. Yeap, you can lock-tite them down, but if one of these screws or pieces hit the riser, they can bounce back in your face. A peep can do this, but it is necessary and can be tied in. These gizmos are just a mechanical device to lazily hide a problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Get you a vaportrail string and cable set shoot your bow a few times then tie in your peep. You'll have no problem. The two strand type of peep is what I use and after a 1000 or so shots so far, it hasn't moved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts