2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody seen this yet? Great as if PETA isn't enough :mad:

http://www.huntsab.org/index.htm

Here is some of their work in England!

Anglers attacked by animal extremists

By Nigel Bunyan

(Filed: 19/08/2006)

A gang of masked animal rights activists has attacked a group of anglers, prompting fears that extremists are determined to widen the scope of their campaign of intimidation.

The 35 masked extremists had earlier disrupted a grouse shoot before being moved on by police.

A handful of people, some of them families, was enjoying a day out at the Bank House fly fishery, at Caton, near Lancaster, when the saboteurs arrived.

Lucy Belson, of Kirkby Lonsdale, Cumbria, was fishing with a friend when they suddenly found themselves at the mercy of the gang.

"They began throwing stones at my rod and one of them said, 'It's the easy way or the hard way. You've been sabbed.' They told me to pack up and go or I was 'going to get wet'."

Fighting broke out as two anglers on a nearby stretch of bank struggled with the protesters. Miss Belson, a resuscitation nurse at Westmorland General Hospital, in Kendal, said: "I decided to get out of there and go home but suddenly they all ran towards me waving bats and blocks of wood, shouting, 'Get her'. "I was jostled and they smashed my fishing rod."

As she broke away from the melee, Miss Belson saw another woman being punched in the face and several cars being vandalised.

"I was shaken at the time but now I am angry," she said. "They are cowards and I certainly won't be frightened to go back to the lake. I love fishing and I have been doing it since I was a little girl."

Lancashire police believe that the anglers were the victims of an opportunistic attack. Earlier in the day the saboteurs had tried to disrupt a grouse shoot at Lowgill, near High Bentham.

At the height of the confrontation, police called in the force helicopter, an armed response vehicle and nine other vehicles. However, there were no arrests and the saboteurs headed away.

Pc Duncan Thomas, the force's wildlife officer, said that saboteurs were increasingly attacking anglers.

"Both anglers and grouse shooting parties should be aware of the threat to them and they should have contingencies in place to protect themselves."

A Countryside Alliance spokesman said: "It does seem to be the way animal rights extremists are heading. Their issue is not animal welfare - it is about hating people. They simply want to cause trouble."

Last year animal extremists attacked anglers on the Grand Union canal, in Milton Keynes. Some of the fishermen were thrown into the water.

--------------------
Lets Go Fishing Instructor
IBEP Instructor
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
They've already stated that after they outlaw hunting, they are going after fishing. No surprises here.

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
Dchiefransom said:
They've already stated that after they outlaw hunting, they are going after fishing. No surprises here.
come at me with a mask on & you will not be happy when they haull you off.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Wow, Those people are nuts. Imgine if they put that much energy into curing cancer or stopping hunger, etc there would be much more headway made in those areas.

While I have not been personally harassed while hunting or fishing and have never found evidence of of sabotage where I hunt, I'm glad that Michigan has some fairly tough Hunter Harassment laws that acutally get enforced.

Hopefully I dont ever get harassed because honestly I dont know how I would react.

J-

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
you have to question the sanity of someone who would charge/throw stones/etc... someone else that has a bow/shotgun/pistol/rifle. I guess if i was in my tree stand and someone was throwing stones at me i guess i throw something back :D

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
This is a fairly common think accross the pond. They're getting it going here. They aren't much to worry about. They are harmless for the most part, although some will get nasty. They are a bunch of thug wannabes, and they have nothing better to do. They will ruin a good hunt, but they will get what they have coming.

Nice thing about them, is that they are so fanatical few people take them seriously. Just like PETA, they aren't much of a threat to our rights. Doesn't mean that we shouldn't take them seriously, but they aren't much to worry about.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts

·
Registered
10,985 Posts
Wow. Did you guys read the stuff on that site? They are basically telling people how to break the law and commit terrorism. Is a site like this even legal? I'm wondering if it has been reported to Homeland Security?

·
Registered
81 Posts
"Some hunters say hunting with a bow and arrow avoids using high tech equipment that might make it an unfair chase. Bow hunting is one of the cruelest forms of hunting because primitive archery equipment wounds more animals than it kills. Dozens of scientific studies indicate that bow hunting yields more than a 50 percent crippling rate. For every animal dragged from the woods, at least one animal is left wounded to suffer—either to bleed to death or to become infested with parasites and diseases."

This is an excerpt from that website that I found astonishing. You would think that out of 12 studies.........and scientific ones at that.....they could site at least one of them as a source. :confused:

I have killed many deer with my "primitive" equipment and not yet lost one. It does happen, no doubt about that and I have no idea what the real numbers are, but I can just about guarantee that it is not 50%.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
misplaced texan said:
It's amazing what SCIENTIFIC STUDY conducted by a biased SCIENTIST can find
What's amazing is people will think there are actually "scientists" that did these "studies" without being given a citation. I could say that 15 studies showed men involved in animal rights organizations had 1 less testicle than average but it doesn't mean it is true :wink:.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
preyquester said:
come at me with a mask on & you will not be happy when they haull you off.
You might be on to something there. I wonder if cultural differences between Britain and the U.S. make it safer for them to do this over there, where it might be possible that people are less inclined to fight back.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
dumb asses

dumbasses brought sticks to a gun fight!!! If you have a gun in hand and someone in a mask comes at you with a baseball bat:confused: he's either an idiot or suididal...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If that happens around here there will be One heck of a riot on the river. Because almost everybody hunts or fishes and if they dont some one in there immediate family does and people stick togther

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
No doubt. If while hunting somebody comes at me in a threatening manner with a bat or club, they will be leaving the woods feet first.

It really is just a matter of time before they "attack" the wrong guy, and the lot of them end up in the hospital having goose shot removed from their torsos (a la Dick Cheney)

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
I've been attacked several times while fishing. Be careful out there!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Dchiefransom said:
You might be on to something there. I wonder if cultural differences between Britain and the U.S. make it safer for them to do this over there, where it might be possible that people are less inclined to fight back.
You're exactly right. The hunters over there don't usually put up much of a fight, but then, the sabs have more control over there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts