Archery Talk Forum banner

the best tuning method

963 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  fletched
paper tune? walk back? bare shaft? which tuning method is best
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9,996 Posts
You will get many different opinions on this one. I prefer paper tuning bare shafts and fletched arrows. Good groups are dependent on using proper spined and consistently spined arrows. Paper tuning is good for tuning the arrow for good flight. I never had a bow that wouldn't group good after paper tuning. Paper tuning gives a lot of infomation about the bow's tune and the archer's form. I want my bow to shoot great groups and have great arrow flight as well. I can get both by using the proper spined arrows and paper tuning.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
I'll paper tune and get it as close as possible to perfect, then walk-back tune at 60 yds to really dial it in. Paper tuning is a great starting point but not all encompassing relative to a finely tuned bow/arrow combination.

· Registered
4,831 Posts
I am with BowKil, except I only go back to 50 yards. I am a hunter, so I then finish it off with Fixed blade Broadhead tuning back to 50 yards also. I did this even when I used to shoot mechanicals, felt it gave me the best tune, but that's just me.

· Registered
2,704 Posts
I paper tune bare shaft to get bullet holes point blank to 20 yards, this insures the arrow is leaving the bow correctly. at this point bare shaft and fletched arrows will group together,if not there is a spine issue.then I walkback tune 5-50 yards same pin arrows should fall in a straight line verticaly. after that I broadhead tune the bow to make my feild tips group with the broadheads, they do regardless of what others say
note if the proper care is taken during step 1, 2 and 3 are always very close.

· Registered
49 Posts
I agree, start by paper tuning, then walk back. I hang a verticle string on my target then shoot at 5, 10, 15, 20yrds.... arrows should be a straight line. I also use this method for sighting windage adjustments. I find it easier to sight from a line than a dot, I think it is easier to see patterns. I also use a horizontal line to sight distance adjustments, same theory. When I can pinch the line both ways I feel the bow is sighted in.

· Registered
9,996 Posts
I'm pretty new at this, so don't shoot me if this is a dumb questionm but won't you end up changing the adjustments you made while paper tuning when you do the walk back tune?
Sure will. I never seen the need to tune using multiple techniques. Each method wipes out the previous method's results. It's like painting your house 3 different colors. The last color is the only one you will see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.