Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has got to be the swirling winds in the mountains. You plan out your approach and, just when it looks like it's going to happen, the wind starts swirling around and it's Game Over. Not a darn thing you can do about it either. :angry:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ya that is frustating. Even when you plan it all out the wind is one variable that seems to always work against you.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I would rather put up with swirling wind than be stuck in Michigan this year not being able to elk hunt, it hurts reading these elk hunting stories from my desk. good luck guys.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Has got to be the swirling winds in the mountains. You plan out your approach and, just when it looks like it's going to happen, the wind starts swirling around and it's Game Over. Not a darn thing you can do about it either. :angry:
Man, I couldn't agree with you more!!!! Happened to me on opening day this year. I was so frustrated!!!

·
A Man for All Seasons
2,703 Posts
I maintain that we should not worry or fret about things we cannot control; weather, wind, heat, or other hunters or hikers.
We go out and do our part and smile upon all that God has made; try to keep that it could happen any minute attitude and things will eventually go your way.

Hunting in the mountains from dark to dark is a whole lot of hard work; no way around it unless you have a real sweet secret place to sit and wait. at my age, fatigue and lack of sleep can sure add to the frustration after a few days however.

·
I like shiny stuff.
4,546 Posts
Lack of talent on my part.
^^^^ This x1,000,000,000. And my utter lack of ability to be in' the right place at the right time.

·
RJ
3,303 Posts
Lotsa good ones brought up :) Several years ago in WA, we had a very, very hot year. Both my partner and I endured numerous "yellow jacket" encounters. Joe even knelt down as we stalked a herd only to lift his knee to move and have a swarm of those yellow devils come out of a ground hive. No fun.. He did the high step, leap over blowdown jig for about 30 yards as I watched in amazement. The elk didn't stay around too long.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,788 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with the wind. With both whitetails and elk it's only screwed me a couple of times. My shooting however is sometimes frustrating.

·
Registered
547 Posts
hoochie mama's and ATV's! I watched a "hunter" ride his atv into a canyon full of elk jumping most of them out of there, park in the only open area and squeeze that stupid Hoochie Mama 30+ times with out a break. I then watched the remaining elk scatter! Some people just don't get it......

·
Registered
903 Posts
How about having elk around you every morning for 6 days strait, just not where you need them. And when you try to go after them, they are already out ahead of you, EVERY TIME!!! I had them come down the moutain in front of me 2 days in a row, so I set up where they came down, then the next day they came down in front of my original spot. This happened every day. Back and forth back and forth. They weren't spooked, just would not walk in front of me. It's like they were messing with me on purpose.

Dion

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
My biggest frustration is trying to get out of sleeping bag every morning at zero dark thirty. I am NOT a morning person..........until I've been up for a couple hours and after my coffee. Then I'm just OK. I love mid and afternoon hunts.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
My biggest frustration is shortly after I kill an Elk or at the close of the season, when I realize I have to wait a whole year to do it again!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hoochie mama's and ATV's! I watched a "hunter" ride his atv into a canyon full of elk jumping most of them out of there, park in the only open area and squeeze that stupid Hoochie Mama 30+ times with out a break. I then watched the remaining elk scatter! Some people just don't get it......
20 years from now, elk will be conditioned to run for their lives at the sound of a Hoochie Mama.

·
Registered
519 Posts
the biggest frustration of elk hunting for me is when nature calls and you are in a hurry to get your gear off and find a log....

·
Embrace the suck!
7,788 Posts
the biggest frustration of elk hunting for me is when nature calls and you are in a hurry to get your gear off and find a log....
That would be a relief for me. I bet I only get to squat 2 or 3 times on a 9 day hunt. I think it's the MRE's and dehydrated food. Or maybe I just burn so many calories that I don't produce very much dookie.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts