Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife purchased a 18" Block Fusion for me on Father's Day. My 7 year old son and I target practice in the basement. I shot a dozen arrows into it and was surprised to be getting about 10" of penetration on a brand new target. Still...it says it is built for broadheads and 1000's of shots. I am only using field points - I can't be destroying this thing. My son shot his Mission Craze at it with lightweight aluminum arrows and got about 5" of penetration. This really surprised me because I had built a bag target with Walmart bags stuffed in a feed bag and his arrows either bounced off or got little penetration. The Fusion is soft. It was stopping arrows so all was good. I was spreading my shots around and after about 200 - 300 arrows, I got a couple that poked out the back...and into my drywall. I shoot a Switchback XT at 63# with Easton 2315 Super Slams with 100gn points at 15 yards. I know they are heavier arrows and carry a lot of KE. Because of this, I have to back the target or it will move with each shot. Since this was not 1000's of shots and I was already getting protrusion out the back, I contacted Field Logic and asked them about it. The response was arrows protruding out the back is not an issue as long as they are not pass-thrus. I wrote back asking some more questions but got no response - mainly about shooting higher KE arrows at the target since he told me he had no issue with his 65# Matthews shooting Slims. Guess my wife bought my son a really expensive target to shoot his 20# Craze at. I don't want to fix anymore holes in my drywall because the arrows are sticking out after 300+ shots that are spread out around the target.

The main reason for the post is to find out if others are having the same issue with the Fusion or do I have a dud. Know heavier aluminum arrows are not the norm anymore but I like them and can find them a whole lot cheaper than carbon arrows.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I’m interested in hearing some user response on the Block as well. I have been thinking about getting one as the bone collector target I purchased last year is already cashed. I too shoot heavy Easton Aluminums and although I’m not getting a full pass through on the bone collector, just the vanes are visible...I don’t want to drop $100 on a target that isn’t going to last me 1yr...

·
Banned
4,049 Posts
I'm glad i read this thread because i was on the fence of buying the target like you have or the rinehardt rhino block. i know it might be more expensive but i hope it will be worth the extra change.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
That's weird. I have their older brown one and it's tough as nails. 3yo and still stopping them. I shoot 70 lbs @30" with ACC PH. I only shoot broad heads into though. Have a bag above it for field points. IMO, it stops them fine, but a pain to pull them out. My Glendel buck is much nicer for broad heads! If you want a good BH target I vote for Glendel over The blocks. Have not shot their new one though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a definite weight difference between the Block and a Rhino so there must quite a difference in material used. I have never shot a Rhino so I don't know what they are like. Price-wise, they are both in that $100 range. We have a nice store with many types of targets. It would be awesome if they had a range where a guy could fire half a dozen arrows into them to see the stopping power. Guess I was expecting the Block when new to be able to stop the arrows with about 50% penetration into the target. I was seeing about 2/3rds or so.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK - my son was shooting his Mission Craze that is setup about 20# draw (he is 7). Was shooting at about 10 yards. His arrows were getting penetration about 3/4 of the way though. This target only has about 300 shots into it. I have sent another email off to Field Logic. Maybe I just got a bad one, but if this is any indication of what these targets are like or the way they stand behind them..I won't be buying another Block target. Here you can see the penetration 2 of his arrows got. I do have a video pulling them out and comparing on the side and they are about 3/4 of the way though.

2011-09-20_18-35-48_972.jpg

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news! Field Logic got back to me and they are going to have the block shipped back them for testing. They are thinking there is something wrong with the core. I am hoping this is the case. Prior to this I had the layered Block and it held up better than this one but was making a mess all over the floor. I like when a manufacturer stands behind their product. Would be one thing if it was $20 for a target, but as we all know, these things are far from cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts