Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every since I started bowhunting seriously, I have lost my desire to deer hunt with a gun. I prefer to bowhunt for deer only. Even during the gun season. Not to take anything away from gun hunters, I just get the biggest satisfaction of getting within 20 yards of a deer at full draw without them knowing of my presence. It is a challenge that I love to challenge. How many of you gun hunt about the same or more than you bowhunt? Do you even gun hunt anymore? Why?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
yes i do..cause some of those big ones will be just out of bow range....and I want em! thats why!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh you mean the 300 yard shots.... where you might hit somebody on the other side.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
yeah thats it...hadn't been able to get that 300 yd pin on bow to work out so well this year!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Im with you Arkie. Last year I took my gun for the operner,but put it back in the locker after that day. Here in my state you can take both during gun season and I may take both if its not to much a hassel. And just in case a big one comes out to far for the bow.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
gotta agree with dog if they won't come in i will definately find something that will go where they are and i got a 25/06 that does a great job. but i do prefer the use of bow somehting more exciting about getting an animal that close and you trying to get past them whe nit comes it making a shot
robk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I still gun hunt (rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader too), just not as much as I bowhunt. Gun hunts usually don't take as long since its easier, hence the shorter gun season. I enjoy both methods because I just love to hunt.

I like the challenge of bowhunting but I hunt for more reasons than the challenge - I like the outdoors, I like to eat venison (turkey too), I enjoy working with all of the equipment and tools of the trade, enjoy spending time with friends and family outdoors, I like the tradition of opening weekend, etc. So many reasons...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, although I still gun hunt, bowhunting HAS ruined me somewhat for gun hunting... The close encounters, and the peacefulness of the woods, plus deer that are still patternable, are tough to beat... I get most of my "freezer filling" done during bow season, then mostly hunt for racks during gun season... Although I also hunt with a shotgun, rifle, muzzleloader, and handgun, my bow has consistantly outscored all of them combined in the last 5 seasons... I end up hunting nearly the same amount of time between bowhunting and gun hunting - but if given a choice, I bowhunt more...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Although I think bow hunting takes a lot more skills than gun hunting I still enjoy both, I also hunt with balck powder. It's just another tool to help fill the freezer. I do like to shoot the bow more than any other weapon though, and you can do it almost any where ya have a safe back stop. Not so with things that go BOOM! LOL. Just my two cents. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I guess my guns must have one inch nof dust on em.

I saw them last time a couple of years ago when I've locked em well checked and oiled away. Oh yes, it must five years or so.
The only gun I see more often is my Beretta 92 for home and property defense:p .

In 1993 I shot my last deer with a rifle. After that I took all my game with a bow. Using bow and arrow is bringing a deeper sense of hunting for me and I don't want to miss it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I to have lost interest in gun hunting. I love to go to FULL DRAW!! In the past 22 years I have taken Deer, Elk, Antelope, Bear, Moose, Mountain Lion & Turkeys with my bow. I just do not want to do it any other way!

I still like to bird hunt with a shot gun, but if it was not for my English Springer flushing a wild ROOSTER or my Cheasapeake Bay retriever sitting beside me in the DUCK blind, I would probably be trying to hunt them with the bow as well.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I get my guns out once a year to oil them up. I haven't shot one in three years...although I may go goose hunting in a few weeks. It isn't that I have anything against them, I just lost interest like many of you. I can't believe a good friend had been trying to get me into archery since the mid-80's, and I refused until just a few years ago. :rolleyes: "Why would anyone want to sit in a tree all day! How boring!" Little did I know. Oh well, I'm in it now.

·
74,535 Posts
AMEN

Wouldnt trade one bowkill for any of my gun kills. Something about bowhunting just is more rewarding to me.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
ALthough I love bowhunting more han any other type of hunting....I do love my guns. My gun hunting for deer has just taken a turn though. I've gone to using shorter ranged rifles and now headed into pistols. It brings back some of the challenge. I also usually resort to the gun as tag fillers. For me to shoot a buck again with my gun it's going to have to be HUGE.

I spend far more time at the gun range than the bow range, despite hunting with my bow far more.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I began hunting deer as a bowhunter well over three decades ago and it remains my first love.But,in 1976,I met our neighbor,George Claude Stevens.He was a gunsmith who built traditional muzzleloaders from scratch.On his living room wall hung several examples of his trade.Beautiful rifles from 36 cal. tiger striped stocked squirrell rifles to 62 caliber big bores,all gerogeous to look at and as I found out,very well built and accurate.I shot that 36 several times that summer and that planted a seed that took a few years to germinate but in 1980 I did a little electrical work for him and he gave me a T/C Renagade kit, with very basic and crudely developed components.He tutored me on the use of a single cut mill file to remove the mill marks from the flats on the barrell and wood working tools to shape,define and finish the wallnut stock.This project took me 6 months to complete,Geroge Hot blued the barrell for me and my 50 cal.Renagade was ready for the range.He recommended 80 grains of black powder under a patched round ball,with carefull cleaning after each shot,this produced 11/2 in groups at 50 yards and 4 inch groups at 100 yds my first time out.Well that was a long time ago, and I have developed a strong bond,a relationship with this rifle that equally mirrors my feelings for archery and bowhunting that were taught to me by a mentor also.I have now killed 17 deer with this rifle using strictly bowhunting techniques and putting knowledge and skill learned bowhunting into getting as close as possible.I have made shots from ten yards to one over a hundred at a buck about to leave the area.I have a lot of myself into this fine rifle,it was unsolicited payment for work done for a dear friend who taught me the skills necessary to build it.George is gone now but his spirit joins my rifle and I on each hunt,which are every bit as magical as my bowhunting adventures.There's much more to hunting than equipment type,true hunting is a spiritual thing,an inner expression for those whos strengths and power are best felt in the woods.Yup, I love hunting every bit as much with my hand built sidelock as I do with my bows.When bow season is over and cold weather comes on,I feel the same excitment while loading blackpowder as I did nocking the first arrow of bow season..I get to travel the woods with another friend and utilize some different skills of the primitive nature.its a beautiful thing.:)

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
I cut my hunting teeth on bowhunting. Killed my first few deer with a bow, before I even got one with a rifle. Rifle hunting just don't do it for me. Generally I hunt archery-muzzleloader and that is it for me. I don't horn hunt...just meat hunt. So I take every opportunity available to harvest as many does as I can for the freezer. Here in TN our buck to doe ratio is awful....we have about 14 does per 1 buck. I figure if I can harvest 2 or 3 deer in archery and then one or two in muzzleloader, than that will do us til next year in venison & jerky. Our gun season is buck only unless you draw special permits. I prefer the statewide open seasons for either sex....which is just archery and muzzleloader.

I love bowhunting but I think muzzleloader is just as equal to me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bowhuntin only for me. the last time I carried a gun, I was bored stiff. but turkey huntin it's about 50% gun and 50% bow. but I still like bowhuntin for turkeys better than with a gun.:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I understand what you are saying. I grew up with a passion for duck and pheasant hunting. Once I tried whitetail deer, I havent looked back.
I both bow and gun hunt, however, bow hunting and archery in general are my first love. My problem is this: At home with work/family/home, I just dont ever get the time to pursue bowhunting as I would like.
However, I do get my annual out of state trip with my buddies for the firearm season. Right now, I wouldnt trade that trip. But, maybe one day I can get them to switch to a bowhunting trip somewhere. ;)

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yeah i do! Just bought me a shinny Winchester .308 that i love more than my mom:D

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I shoot gophers with my 22 sometimes. I even hunt them and pheasants with my bow mostly though. My shotgun gets alot of use shooting trap. The big iron hasn't killed a thing for 10 yrs (exept 1 unlucky rock chuck). Hunting with a bow is so much more of a challange and more rewarding, to me anyway.:) Still love them irons though!:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts