Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who hunts with a bow, smokepole, shotgun, and rifle?

Since its "complete" sportsman maybe we should include fishing too?

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
I do not think being a complete sportsman has anything to do with what weapon you choose to hunt with. To me being a complete sportsman has more to do with ethics.

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Who picks the ethics?
You choose your own ethics. As long as it is legal & does not impose on others legal activities I have no problem with it.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me being a complete sportsman has more to do with ethics.
While I agree that sportsmanship is tied to ethics I'm looking for those "well-rounded" (I don't mean the shape either ;)) outdoorsmen.

Like Bocephus says "I can skin a buck, I can run a trot line..."

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well that didn't take long:zip: Anyways, I hunt them all. I rarely hunt deer with a shotgun but I will if the mood strikes me. I also bird hunt, predator hunt, fish (especially snagging for spoonbill which most anglers do not consider fishing.) My outdoor season really never ends.

~J

·
Registered
195 Posts
I hunt deer w/ rifle and bow. Hunt squirrel with 22 and shotgun. Will rabbit and turkey hunt with shotgun this yr. In the off seasons I fish crappie and trout. I currently do not own a muzzle loader but would use one if I did.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I guess I hunt with all weapons listed...

...I do almost all my big game hunting with a bow, but I do occasionally pick up the smokepole.

...I hunt waterfowl with a shotgun.

...I hunt predators with a rifle.

Am I the "complete sportsman?" I dunno, I hightly doubt it though cause that sounds like way too high an accolade for me! :)

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,364 Posts
I have hunted with them all and each are enjoyable.

However I really enjoy my bow compared to the other 3.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...However I really enjoy my bow compared to the other 3.
Lou, I absolutely agree. I will not give up bowhunting until I'm forced to either by the law or old age. All other hunts and activities are planned around bowhunting because it is the one that is nearest and dearest to my heart with one exception....hunting with family.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
How bout hunt with pistol? Crossbow? Atlal(sp)? Spear?

I hunt with bow, muzzleloader, rifle, and shotgun so far.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How bout hunt with pistol? Crossbow? Atlal(sp)? Spear?

I hunt with bow, muzzleloader, rifle, and shotgun so far.
All acceptable, where legal of course.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Bow, rifle, shotgun, handgun, flyrod, baitcaster, spinning rod, they all get good use. Even lawn darts is better than sitting on the porch !

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
So who hunts with a bow, smokepole, shotgun, and rifle?

Since its "complete" sportsman maybe we should include fishing too?
you forgot to add "knife", Bob. but i do all those. I only use a shotgun on birds though. Rifle for varmints. Muzzleloader for deer and hogs, sometimes. I hate cleaning the thing though. bow for everything. knife for hogs.

6' 6" medium fast action All-Star rod and Shimano Symetre reel for fishin.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
kinda like the fella above. i use a bow (animals and fish), rifle, shotgun, flyrod&spincast (everything from catfish to panfish), and just picked up a sling shot for the first time in a long time. ive also got my trapping liscense so ive been thinkin about trappin the neighbors cat too - stupid thing keeps gettin into my trash. ;) but i by nnnnooooo means consider my self a "complete sportsman" just a jack of alot of trades - master of none :D

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
Bow hunt deer
smoke pole deer
Shotgun/setter for pheasants, sharptails, partridge
Fish open water in summer
Hard water in the winter
Spear pike in the winter
dog training
Game cams all year
food plot farm management all year