Archery Talk Forum banner

8081 - 8100 of 8140 Posts

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
15,229 Posts
After going through it I can understand why. I thought about using some extra golf tees to keep the pinstripe out, which in hindsight I guess I should have. What I did was tie some serving material to it. After I initially stretched it I relaxed it and pulled the pinstripe out in places it tucked back in.

Are most guys using just 2 strands (one on each side) for the layup process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use 2 wraps. This is how I separate my pins.

·
Registered
20,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,082
After going through it I can understand why. I thought about using some extra golf tees to keep the pinstripe out, which in hindsight I guess I should have. What I did was tie some serving material to it. After I initially stretched it I relaxed it and pulled the pinstripe out in places it tucked back in.

Are most guys using just 2 strands (one on each side) for the layup process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends on the material and how thick they want the pins to show up. I do 4 total, 2 each side when using Fury but if I'm doing a single pin like you did, I do 2 strands.

·
BSD CUSTOM STRING BUILDER
1,068 Posts
Here is what we called a tiger pinstripe and pinstripe. Its much more difficult to lay up and do but it looks cool. When we were in the biz we made tons of them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pin stripes are doing my head in just trying to get them to sit flush between both other colours im sure its the way I position my string separate would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out with there process the way they insert golf tees ect to get the pins to lay right cheers

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
15,229 Posts
Pin stripes are doing my head in just trying to get them to sit flush between both other colours im sure its the way I position my string separate would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out with there process the way they insert golf tees ect to get the pins to lay right cheers
I put tees below and above the pinstripe. Then, I put tees in to pull the stripe away from the 2 primary colors. Also, wrap some spare material around the pins so you can pull the pin out if it gets buried. I hope this picture helps.

·
Registered
20,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,088
This post shows the simplest way to separate for pinstripes. 3 tees. one between the pirmary colors with one pin above and one below it and then one tee to push the pins out to the sides.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does anyone have a good source of serving lengths and locations? I'm getting a VXR31.5 in a week and I'd like to build the string/cables/yokes for it. Typically I take the measurements off the bows directly, but I would think that this information would be somewhere? Google was no help other than the overall lengths.

·
Registered
20,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,091
Does anyone have a good source of serving lengths and locations? I'm getting a VXR31.5 in a week and I'd like to build the string/cables/yokes for it. Typically I take the measurements off the bows directly, but I would think that this information would be somewhere? Google was no help other than the overall lengths.
Strings and arrows forum. There are 2 sticky threads up top that you can search for specs in. Really though, with any Mathews, it's best to measure from the actual bow. Their advertised specs are pretty bad a lot of the time. Not as bad on the dual cams but the single cam specs are garbage.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
What is everyone's opinion on Powergrip .009 for end serving? I have seen it talked about here but always stayed with my tried and true Halo and Angel Majesty. I just ordered a spool to try on my next build but just want to make sure it can hold up on those tricky cable areas. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Strings and arrows forum. There are 2 sticky threads up top that you can search for specs in. Really though, with any Mathews, it's best to measure from the actual bow. Their advertised specs are pretty bad a lot of the time. Not as bad on the dual cams but the single cam specs are garbage.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
20,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,095
What is everyone's opinion on Powergrip .009 for end serving? I have seen it talked about here but always stayed with my tried and true Halo and Angel Majesty. I just ordered a spool to try on my next build but just want to make sure it can hold up on those tricky cable areas. Thanks
Not used the .009 diameter but have used .014 on some harsh buss cables that chewed right through Halo. So far the powergrip has held up better for me. My wife's bow was one that Halo only lasted a couple hundred shots on. The powergrip has lasted thousands of shots without wearing much at all.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Not used the .009 diameter but have used .014 on some harsh buss cables that chewed right through Halo. So far the powergrip has held up better for me. My wife's bow was one that Halo only lasted a couple hundred shots on. The powergrip has lasted thousands of shots without wearing much at all.
Thats good to know. I want to keep 24 strands on my next build but wanted to keep the diameter down a little so thats why I decided to try the .009. Hope it works out. When it comes to end serving Angel Majesty has been my favorite so far. Powergrip for center has been perfect so I hope the thinner stuff will hold up.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
3d finished .1120. This was on the main string

.14 powergrip. .1055. This was on cable and buss ends i put this on about as tight as you can go with breaking the material

.08 spectra going thru rollers .0995

Mind you she is old as them seem a bit smaller diameter then should be.

·
BSD CUSTOM STRING BUILDER
1,068 Posts
I used powergrip to help in those tough spots on cables and end loops and by far for center serving. By no means was it a cure all. Some bows were just plain tough on serving like Bowtechs. But it sure did its job and was worth using even over halo.

Hutch

8081 - 8100 of 8140 Posts