Archery Talk Forum banner

8121 - 8140 of 8140 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Is this on your Reckoning? That s-turn is brutal on serving.

I don't take tension off the string, but do back off tension on the serving jig.
Yes its on one cable on that S-turn. The cables I made for my Revolt X with Angel Majesty don't have the slightest separation after thousands of shots. The Reckoning with some Powergrip has a little separation on that S-turn. Maybe next time I'll leave the string at 300 like you do. That is a rough area for sure and I'm surprised there aren't more issues with them.

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
15,239 Posts
Yes its on one cable on that S-turn. The cables I made for my Revolt X with Angel Majesty don't have the slightest separation after thousands of shots. The Reckoning with some Powergrip has a little separation on that S-turn. Maybe next time I'll leave the string at 300 like you do. That is a rough area for sure and I'm surprised there aren't more issues with them.
Maybe re-serve one cable with AM and see if that holds up better than PG?

I built new 24-strand 452X cables for my Reckoning and used halo since I didn't have white PG. The one cable is fine, but the other one has just a bit of separation where the tag is.

·
Registered
870 Posts
As I get towards the end, I back off the tension on the string to around 50 - 75 pounds. This helps the string compress together as I finish up the serving.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
As I get towards the end, I back off the tension on the string to around 50 - 75 pounds. This helps the string compress together as I finish up the serving.
That’s pretty much what I always did and always worked great. Maybe I did something different and didn’t realize it. I’ll probably reserve that area with Angel Majesty and see what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
That’s pretty much what I always did and always worked great. Maybe I did something different and didn’t realize it. I’ll probably reserve that area with Angel Majesty and see what happens. Thanks
I also use Angel Majesty and it has worked out great so far. Good luck!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just finished my jig and i'm starting to order some supplies. Where do I get speed noks? Also where to find factory strings specs?

·
<------Reese
15,239 Posts
I just finished my jig and i'm starting to order some supplies. Where do I get speed noks? Also where to find factory strings specs?
You can used Saunders nocks as speed nocks. I would have red and black on hand as it varies between manufacturers. Another option is ordering speed stacks from GAS. You just need to call them to order.

Also, order some 1/4" shrink wrap, 3 to 1 ratio to cover the speed nocks.

Here's a good place to start for serving and string specs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You can used Saunders nocks as speed nocks. I would have red and black on hand as it varies between manufacturers. Another option is ordering speed stacks from GAS. You just need to call them to order.

Also, order some 1/4" shrink wrap, 3 to 1 ratio to cover the speed nocks.

Here's a good place to start for serving and string specs.

Awesome! Thanks

·
Registered
995 Posts
You’ll want to make sure you’re building those cables with 22 strands not 24. I know it sounds dumb but it will solve your separation issue. Power grip over halo will help too. Bowtech strings and cables are aren’t built with 24 strands for this reason, you’ll find most of their bows call for 20 strands on some and 22 on others

When serving I serve at 300 Lbs and back off to 100 as I serve the loop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
<------Reese
15,239 Posts
You’ll want to make sure you’re building those cables with 22 strands not 24. I know it sounds dumb but it will solve your separation issue. Power grip over halo will help too. Bowtech strings and cables are aren’t built with 24 strands for this reason, you’ll find most of their bows call for 20 strands on some and 22 on others

When serving I serve at 300 Lbs and back off to 100 as I serve the loop

Do you stretch before twisting? What poundage do you stretch at?

·
<------Reese
15,239 Posts
No I twist before stretching and I stretch at 400lbs

Any particular reason you serve at 300#? I was twisting, then stretching at 400#, then serving at 400#. I recently changed to stretching at 350# before twisting, but still serving at 400#. I had to adjust my formula a bit, but it is a little quicker and am getting the same results.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Heat treating is not part of the build process. The large string building companies simply don't have the time, plus it would accomplish nothing.

Automan

Reactions: tirving

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,135
Do bowstrings factories heat treating the bowstrings they build?
How much maximum (° C) heat treatment should be done?
High volume builders barely take the time to stretch them let alone adding heat to the process. I've seen some people warm their strings with a hair dryer but to me, there's more risk than reward. If the strings are properly laid out and stretched, there will be little to no creep if the string is heated or not.

Reactions: tirving

·
Life is short, live it!
1,186 Posts
Using Hercules, Dorisea, etc for recurve strings?

I realize this thread is for compound strings, but you guys know your stuff. My apologies in advance. It seems like using UHMWPE material for end loops on recurve strings would work and save money. However, someone mentioned above that Hercules, Dorisea, etc resist abrasion better than the standard serving materials. Does this also mean that it will abrade the string grooves on recurve limbs?

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,137
Using Hercules, Dorisea, etc for recurve strings?

I realize this thread is for compound strings, but you guys know your stuff. My apologies in advance. It seems like using UHMWPE material for end loops on recurve strings would work and save money. However, someone mentioned above that Hercules, Dorisea, etc resist abrasion better than the standard serving materials. Does this also mean that it will abrade the string grooves on recurve limbs?
Hard to say if it "will" or not without trying it but I doubt it would. Fishing lines are made to resist abrasion from rocks and cover that fish are hiding in so some braids use more fibers to give a smoother finish. Braids with 8 fibers are very smooth to touch but because of that, they don't hold tightly on a bow string going around bends like on a compound cam. They'd probably do very well on a recurve though as long as you can keep it from separating on a loop. The smooth texture would also be easy on the string grooves of a recurve.

That said, there are a lot of people that serve recurve strings with Halo and that's a 4 strand braid just like any other 4 strand UHMWPE fishing line so you'll probably be just fine either way.

·
Life is short, live it!
1,186 Posts
Huntsinker, thanks for the insight. I ordered a spool from Amazon to try out. I'll report back after seeing how it works out.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts

A guy I know was kicking thru the rubble of a burned, and knocked-down building when he stumbled across an old, trashed Nuclear Ice. He wondered if it could be put back into shooting condition for his young daughter, so he asked me to give it a shot. I'm sure this will put a big smile on a young girl's face. It's amazing what a new set of strings and a little TLC can do for a cast-off bow.

Automan

8121 - 8140 of 8140 Posts