Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exploitation of wildlife

I find the current trend in hunting disturbing.It seems to me that the whitetailed deer has become the victim of many hunters hunting for the sole reason of self glorification or financial gain. The hunting industry promotes this behavior by sponsoring of so called hunting shows that focus on the taking of trophy class whitetails claiming the use of their products increased the odds of success.

This attitude has led to a current generation of hunters only interested posting their success on social media to gain attention. My news feeds are flooded with these self proclaimed pro staff hunters posing with their deer and the products they used to “harvest” their “mature” buck.

Multitudes of “hunting” shows have sprung up with “professional” hunters sometimes taking two or three buck a show that are larger racked than any buck the majority of hunters have ever taken. Many of these so called hunters are going down in flames secondary to breaking laws in an effort to continue with their success. Many achieve success either by hunting game ranches, guided hunts on semi domesticated deer that have become less wild through years of low hunting pressure, game food plots...

I feel this current trend leads to dis satisfaction to the everyday hunter. Many feel they need to take these large antlered deer to feel successful. Some everyday Joe’s feel the need to cheat, lie, scam others with false claims of success, mid representation of facts all in the name of glory or profit.

On a personal note, I’ve had at least three buck stolen from me where another hunter finds the deer I’ve shot and tags it and escapes before I can catch them. We’ve had several guys on here claiming to be super hunters where the truth be known their lying through their teeth with either blatant lies or doing something illegal to achieve hunting success.

I continually see guys on here and other social media sites where after much study could say beyond a reasonable doubt that the successful hunter has done something illegal or misrepresented the facts to their claim to fame. My whole point for posting this is so the average hunter doesn’t feel threatened by others success when in fact the majority of those highly successful hunters are frauds. I hate to sound so negative but more times than not my theory is true. If something sounds to good to be true it usually is not.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
That attitude has always been there. Sorry. It's just easier to show them off now with social media. Guys used to parade them around on their vehicles and put pictures in the paper. Everything is fine. In fact I think hunting is only going to get better than ever. As long as we eat what we kill we will be fine. This is way overblown IMO. I've been bowhunting for over 30 years and I think the sport is as healthy as it's ever been.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Or maybe some of us have figured out how to make a living doing something we love. Has nothing to do with self-glorification except in rare cases, at least not with the industry people I am around all the time. It's darn hard work to make a living in the hunting business. if you are in it for the fame, you won't last long.

And if you've lost three deer to people who snatch it and escape before you can catch them, I'd suggest taking up the trail a little sooner.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
So you are basically saying most other than yourself are liars and cheats .
It says you're from Western Montana , where are you hunting that people are grabbing your deer and running away with them ? Maybe they are just laying to long ?

Another reason I don't use Social Media but being from Easter Montana and having lived and hunted all over this country I can't recall ever seeing someone pay to get their critters pic in the paper . I've seen the papers do a little write up on a good sized animal though. Taking a big deer etc around to show friends I've seen .
So you are positive you know some have broken the law and you have not done a thing about it? Hey i'm not a huge fan of the vast majority of Bowhunting shows ,there are only a couple that I very seldom watch, now some of the fishing shows are another story lol but obviously there are people that watch them or they'd be gone So that makes a whole lot of people other than you or I that like em. LOL Just think a 3 pack of Rage BH would likely be half the price without all those sponsorship's the company pays for lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
That attitude has always been there. Sorry. It's just easier to show them off now with social media. Guys used to parade them around on their vehicles and put pictures in the paper. Everything is fine. In fact I think hunting is only going to get better than ever. As long as we eat what we kill we will be fine. This is way overblown IMO. I've been bowhunting for over 30 years and I think the sport is as healthy as it's ever been.
So we need to eat coyotes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Exploitation of wildlife

I find the current trend in hunting disturbing.It seems to me that the whitetailed deer has become the victim of many hunters hunting for the sole reason of self glorification or financial gain. The hunting industry promotes this behavior by sponsoring of so called hunting shows that focus on the taking of trophy class whitetails claiming the use of their products increased the odds of success.

This attitude has led to a current generation of hunters only interested posting their success on social media to gain attention. My news feeds are flooded with these self proclaimed pro staff hunters posing with their deer and the products they used to “harvest” their “mature” buck.

Multitudes of “hunting” shows have sprung up with “professional” hunters sometimes taking two or three buck a show that are larger racked than any buck the majority of hunters have ever taken. Many of these so called hunters are going down in flames secondary to breaking laws in an effort to continue with their success. Many achieve success either by hunting game ranches, guided hunts on semi domesticated deer that have become less wild through years of low hunting pressure, game food plots...

I feel this current trend leads to dis satisfaction to the everyday hunter. Many feel they need to take these large antlered deer to feel successful. Some everyday Joe’s feel the need to cheat, lie, scam others with false claims of success, mid representation of facts all in the name of glory or profit.

On a personal note, I’ve had at least three buck stolen from me where another hunter finds the deer I’ve shot and tags it and escapes before I can catch them. We’ve had several guys on here claiming to be super hunters where the truth be known their lying through their teeth with either blatant lies or doing something illegal to achieve hunting success.

I continually see guys on here and other social media sites where after much study could say beyond a reasonable doubt that the successful hunter has done something illegal or misrepresented the facts to their claim to fame. My whole point for posting this is so the average hunter doesn’t feel threatened by others success when in fact the majority of those highly successful hunters are frauds. I hate to sound so negative but more times than not my theory is true. If something sounds to good to be true it usually is not.
Good points Dean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I think hunters in general are worse than I ever remember them being.
But I feel the same way about almost all humans in virtually every cross-section of worldwide human society.

People as a whole are degenerating toward becoming savage, selfish animals, getting slowly worse generation after generation.

Behavior that once was considered appalling to most people is now considered normal and acceptable.
(Even on ArcheryTalk!)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I think hunters in general are worse than I ever remember them being.
But I feel the same way about almost all humans in virtually every cross-section of worldwide human society.

People as a whole are degenerating toward becoming savage, selfish animals, getting slowly worse generation after generation.

Behavior that once was considered appalling to most people is now considered normal and acceptable.
(Even on ArcheryTalk!)
X2! Well said

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Sounds like you need to work on shooting your deer where they dont run off to be "stolen".

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are some examples of what I’ve seen lately. We have the whole OB thing, Chris Brackett, Noel Feather, Bill Buspice- Wild Game Nation, Lee L.,
Ghille suit guy, Spook Span, Curt Darner, the whack job from Michigan... the list goes on and on. You hardly ever see someone in a hunting success picture pose with the buck normally. Now all you see is long arming sitting behind a deer giving the optical illusion of being larger than it actually is which tells me their not happy with their kill. I’ve seen people posing with road kills, rotten deer, rifle shot deer passed off as bowkills, deer shot in another state and brought across state lines and checked in to save tags in the preferable state...some just plain suspicion and others fact

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you need to work on shooting your deer where they dont run off to be "stolen".
It happens Brother, I don’t have a problem taking an unrecovered deer but just trying to pass it off as your own kill is what bothers me.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
While I do agree that hunting in general has quite significantly changed over my lifetime and not for the better, if anyone feels "threatened" by another person's success they need to sit down on a couch and talk to a therapist.

I don't know the OP, or what a news feed is, but I assume it has something to to with facebook or twitter? I guess if your news feed is making you have all of these feels, maybe you should unlike it or unplug it or whatever you need to do to stop being triggered. Go for a walk in the woods or something and quit worrying about what everyone else does.

·
pro deer watcher
2,336 Posts
I exploited the hell out a big doe this morning for my own satisfaction. Does that make me wrong. The people that are trying to be heros per say won't be hunting for ever the tougher hunting gets the more guys are going to quit
Don't let them stress you out and if you've had three bucks stolen from you then you need to start tracking sooner

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It happens Brother, I don’t have a problem taking an unrecovered deer but just trying to pass it off as your own kill is what bothers me.
"at least three"?How many deer have you lost?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe you want to tell me how you’ve never lost one before??? While your at it, tell me how many you’ve killed and if the area you hunt is public with high pressure (lots of hunters). I have my home location as Western Montana. I’m not referring to the state of Montana.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts