Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go out for a hunt I get dressed and have always taken a shot or two at a target before heading out. Then while on stand I try to keep loose by drawing my bow periodically. What is your routine? What has worked for you? This season I am dressing in the field and I realize that alot of hunters don't have opportunity to take a shot before they head out, so I am curious to what they do.

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
I try an shoot ONE arrow at the range I THINK my shot will be at for my stand or blind setup for that particular sit..But I rarely take that practice shot from a elevated stand or blind..So it might just be a confidence booster more then anything..This tends to only happen on afternoon hunts..As it is dark when I head out on my AM hunts..I draw my bow once or twice once in stand just to check for clearance..I dont worry about keeping loose..Because I keep my bows poundage low enough that I know I wont have any issue with drawing even after sitting awhile in cold temps

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I shoot year round I am confident on how my equipment will work, but the night before I go out I will shoot a few arrows to calm my edge. I don't take any practice shots in the stands..

·
Teniente D'Equipo Mongrel
8,172 Posts
I practice all year to keep my shooting muscles tuned. I tune my bow till I'm happy at my max range(only about 30 yards) 2 months before the season I get on a cardio exercise kick to tune my body for walking and stalking, tagging and dragging. On opening day, preparation ends hunting begins. I only draw back on something I want to put a hole in. I only fire when I'm confident. I won't shoot practice shots at a target till the season is over.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I shoot year round I am confident on how my equipment will work, but the night before I go out I will shoot a few arrows to calm my edge. I don't take any practice shots in the stands..
Same here I also draw my bow a few times while in the stand just to stay loose and ready.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts