Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about two months ago I prepped my Field it was a over burdened food plot with too much grass I killed the grass and there was some desireable plants left but it was only about 30% at that time so I frost seeded my own personal 7 way plot mixture over the top and ran a pulled hoe over it and then two weeks ago I planted my corn and forage oats and then a brassica and rape plot 1 month ago they are up and the main food plot is screaming hot look at this growth. I limed and fertilized heavy :shade:

So I hope this gives some guys some Ideas and starts a constructive deer hunting conversation as well.

There is a tree stand in the first pic in one of the trees at the end of the plot see if you can find it also this is facing due east about 125 yards out I am also standing strait in front of a ladder stand to my right that is south .

The second pic is of the west end of the food plot there is ladder stand in one of the trees down there as well is about 125 to that stand ,This is the 7 way mixture food plot mix I mixed same as the east end .

This is my combo planting of forage oats and row corn it is about 100 yards long .

Then the light green stuff on the left of the 7 way mixture is Brasicas and rape this pic is zoomed in not regular lens distance..

Enjoy

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was wondering if anyone else was hard at it already ??:) Post them pics of this springs food plots.

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
5,589 Posts
No pics, but I just planted mine the other day. I planted a mix of annuals and perenials last season, so this season I just had to replant the annuals (chicory, sugar beets, turnips) and fertilize.. The clover was a couple inches tall and looked pretty good..hopefully the fertilizer gives it the boost they need! Got them in and it rained 3 tenths on them the next day :thumbs_up

·
Registered
770 Posts
I harrowed and fertilized my plots about a month ago. Waited until we got at least 2" of rain to work the fertilizer into the ground. Planted soybeans and Iron and Clay peas last Wednesday. Since then, we've had a little over 2" of rain. I'm real happy with the timing. I put Plot Saver around each plot to keep the deer out until they get a good root system going then I'll take it down. I can't wait till September.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I harrowed and fertilized my plots about a month ago. Waited until we got at least 2" of rain to work the fertilizer into the ground. Planted soybeans and Iron and Clay peas last Wednesday. Since then, we've had a little over 2" of rain. I'm real happy with the timing. I put Plot Saver around each plot to keep the deer out until they get a good root system going then I'll take it down. I can't wait till September.
Hot weather plantings intresting.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shoot man, I"m in Florida, our spring lasts about, oh, 37 minutes. We either plant in hot weather or wait for fall, which lasts about 56 minutes. :shade:
We had the earliest and warmest spring on record here so the extra 4 weeks of growing season will be great especially for the local farmers if there is no bad / serious weather this summer.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Here is my back yard food plot. Not a close up picture but I wanted you all to see my set up. :D Right out the back door. Should be fun watching the deer in here. Planted oats/variety of white clover in this one. Its about 1.5 acres. I also have another plot but haven't got any pictures of it yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is my back yard food plot. Not a close up picture but I wanted you all to see my set up. :D Right out the back door. Should be fun watching the deer in here. Planted oats/variety of white clover in this one. Its about 1.5 acres. I also have another plot but haven't got any pictures of it yet.
Nice deck but the pic is so dark I can not see anything else but congrats on the food plot none the less.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is one of my favorite plots. It borders the river and is about 1.5 acres. It has clover, chicory, and oats in it. This pic was taken about 5 minutes before I mowed it...since then it looks even better. :D
I see some rye grass in there are you leaveing it as lite forage or going to choke it out or spray it next year??

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Frost seeded my clover plot in late February and the brassica plot at the same time. seeded a mixture of ladino, white dutch and red clover.

Not meaning to split hairs but you mention a mixture of brassica and rape. Rape is a brassica, as are turnips, kale, cabage and a number of other plants.

Also, I've never seeded brassica in the spring. I always to that in late Mid August. Since the deer won't touch it until a couple good freezes I'm wondering why you plant it in the spring. I'm not being critical I am just trying to learn from others experience.

So about two months ago I prepped my Field it was a over burdened food plot with too much grass I killed the grass and there was some desireable plants left but it was only about 30% at that time so I frost seeded my own personal 7 way plot mixture over the top and ran a pulled hoe over it and then two weeks ago I planted my corn and forage oats and then a brassica and rape plot 1 month ago they are up and the main food plot is screaming hot look at this growth. I limed and fertilized heavy :shade:

So I hope this gives some guys some Ideas and starts a constructive deer hunting conversation as well.

There is a tree stand in the first pic in one of the trees at the end of the plot see if you can find it also this is facing due east about 125 yards out I am also standing strait in front of a ladder stand to my right that is south .

The second pic is of the west end of the food plot there is ladder stand in one of the trees down there as well is about 125 to that stand ,This is the 7 way mixture food plot mix I mixed same as the east end .

This is my combo planting of forage oats and row corn it is about 100 yards long .

Then the light green stuff on the left of the 7 way mixture is Brasicas and rape this pic is zoomed in not regular lens distance..

Enjoy

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frost seeded my clover plot in late February and the brassica plot at the same time. seeded a mixture of ladino, white dutch and red clover.

Not meaning to split hairs but you mention a mixture of brassica and rape. Rape is a brassica, as are turnips, kale, cabage and a number of other plants.

Also, I've never seeded brassica in the spring. I always to that in late Mid August. Since the deer won't touch it until a couple good freezes I'm wondering why you plant it in the spring. I'm not being critical I am just trying to learn from others experience.
I am awere that all the plants you listed are part of the same family but they are different and brassica is not rape even though they are related genetically . To see this simply go order A pound of Brassica seed and rape seed and you will see the differance in the seed one is smaller and a dark purple and the other is larger by twice and a light yellowish tan .Also rape is almost exclusively a top feeding plant and it is the european variaty of plant and is more prised as a oily protien plant and brassicas have a bulbus root and is more new world and related to the mustard plant more and the sugars are throught the plant more than the leaves or seed. . As I have learned that they become palatable for deer at different times and sizes .

I also plant them in the spring and mow them back at least twice to slow the growth above the ground and not allow then to flower and go to seed as they all will if left alone that long.Also I do not have to be subject to weather as in rain or excessive heat in my planting. I also learned long ago to stay out of the woods/ food plots after the first part of August . This seems to be when the deer are easily moved from their core areas around and in food plots or feeding areas to places that they are left alone .Also the bucks tend to be looking for any reason to move or disperse when they are shedding velvet and are less tolerant of other deer or human intrusions .

I have been farming all my life and this is just some of the things that you learn over the years as short cuts and subtle differances as well as timeing. They will also eat Rape off and on throughout the growing season .Brassica not so much and turnips almost never until the cold weather hits.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Well that is an interesting take on planting time. However, would not mowing cause the same disturbance as planting?

Also, I disagree that rape is not a brassica. They are not just related genetically. Rape's scientific/latin name is brassica napus. If you don't believe me google that term. I suppose in all your years of farming maybe the folks you know mistakenly thought is was not a brassica but the bottom line that rape falls in the species of plants called brassica.

I won't debate with you that deer may browse the different subspecies of brassica at different times of they year. However, my 30 years of deer hunting would indicate that they prefer all brassica more after a good hard freeze or two.

I am awere that all the plants you listed are part of the same family but they are different and brassica is not rape even though they are related genetically . To see this simply go order A pound of Brassica seed and rape seed and you will see the differance in the seed one is smaller and a dark purple and the other is larger by twice and a light yellowish tan .Also rape is almost exclusively a top feeding plant and it is the european variaty of plant and is more prised as a oily protien plant and brassicas have a bulbus root and is more new world and related to the mustard plant more and the sugars are throught the plant more than the leaves or seed. . As I have learned that they become palatable for deer at different times and sizes .

I also plant them in the spring and mow them back at least twice to slow the growth above the ground and not allow then to flower and go to seed as they all will if left alone that long.Also I do not have to be subject to weather as in rain or excessive heat in my planting. I also learned long ago to stay out of the woods/ food plots after the first part of August . This seems to be when the deer are easily moved from their core areas around and in food plots or feeding areas to places that they are left alone .Also the bucks tend to be looking for any reason to move or disperse when they are shedding velvet and are less tolerant of other deer or human intrusions .

I have been farming all my life and this is just some of the things that you learn over the years as short cuts and subtle differances as well as timeing. They will also eat Rape off and on throughout the growing season .Brassica not so much and turnips almost never until the cold weather hits.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well that is an interesting take on planting time. However, would not mowing cause the same disturbance as planting?

Also, I disagree that rape is not a brassica. They are not just related genetically. Rape's scientific/latin name is brassica napus. If you don't believe me google that term. I suppose in all your years of farming maybe the folks you know mistakenly thought is was not a brassica but the bottom line that rape falls in the species of plants called brassica.

I won't debate with you that deer may browse the different subspecies of brassica at different times of they year. However, my 30 years of deer hunting would indicate that they prefer all brassica more after a good hard freeze or two.
Actually no it will be at different times and there is no spraying turning of dirt and limeing or fertalizeing involved with the proper planting of the. I almost never mow after the july mowing as it is very dry in August and early September and the plots will need all the growth they can get without stress from feeding or weather at this time of year.

By the way there are several breeds of brassicas and rape but there are variances of each.. But I am not argueing with you at all my system works for me and all deer have a common phylum name also but they are all different genus as well.. Sur there are times deer love to eat different tings .And my 25 years of deer hunting and 50 of farm life indicates to me that there are many ways to handle plantings for wild life and farming practices .of all kind. I also do not plant any variety plants according to google.com and whet they say they are by thier scientific names .There are also many types of chicory but there is only one that deer relish eating and is easily planted .centaumea canus /sugar loaf.

So this is no different than people buying cherry tomatoes and yellow tomatoes and Romas they are all tomatos but they all taste different and and mature at different times .Cherry tomatoes make horrible juice but yellow eat the best.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Great looking plots. I'm working on my tractor now and won't get anything going until July. Thinking turnips this year.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great looking plots. I'm working on my tractor now and won't get anything going until July. Thinking turnips this year.
Yip they work give oats /clover a try also they grow well and draw a whole bunch of late season activity as well when planted late they will require only planting no mowing .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts