Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well me and my hunting buddy made it back to Oklahoma Thursday night after our 7 hour drive from Nebraska, but it was an easy drive considering we had 5 archery tags filled and the birds on ice.

It was an awesome trip this year. Last year was our first year to make the trip and it was a learning experience to say the least. This year we capitalized on what we learned and what a great 2 days and 1 morning it was.

We headed out Easter Sunday night after all of the family obligations and easter eggs were found. We got a hotel room in Kansas about midnight and got a little sleep before heading on into Nebraska on Monday moring. We started out scouting in the areas we saw birds last year and immediately found plenty of birds. They were still grouped up in big flocks, but were really starting to strut and gobble good. We roosted 90+ birds Monday night and didn't sleep much. Season opened Tuesday and we had our first bird down by 8:30 am. The next two fell around 5:30 or 6:00 Tuesday evening. Wednesday was a little windy....30+ mph. The Matrix was spiked down and it still want to fly like a turkey. We called in an awesome bird Wednesday evening and I blew the shot and the day ended with more wind, no bird, my wounded pride, and 40+ birds roosted.

Thursday morning started early with lots of fog. The fog block the bright full moon and allowed us to sneak within 65 yards of the roosted birds. When the flew down two jakes had to come see the Pretty Boy and the Widow Maker decoys. Both got more than they were looking for.

This was our first successful archery turkey hunt and I have to say I am hooked. Closest shot was 7 yards and the longest was 30 yards.

We took a total of 5 birds, 2 toms and 3 jakes, and called them all in with our Magic Morning Calls.

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Few more pics

Here is a couple more pictures from the hunt.

Attachments

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,364 Posts
Awesome story! Congratulations to you and your hunting buddy! Some great looking birds for sure!

Thanks for sharing those pictures too! Love that call with an image of your child. Nothing like taking them with you when they can't go with you! :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Father's Day Call

The call with my daughter in it was last year's Father's Day Present. I think I will try and get one every year as she grows up.

Pretty special call.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,364 Posts
The call with my daughter in it was last year's Father's Day Present. I think I will try and get one every year as she grows up.

Pretty special call.
That would make an awesome collection to have and someday show her all of them.

Do you have someone special that does it for you? I might have to drop the hint to my wife what I want for Father's Day this year! :grin:

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
Congratulations on a great trip to Nebraska as it truely is an awesome turkey hunting state! :cheers:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations on a great trip to Nebraska as it truely is an awesome turkey hunting state! :cheers:
Yes indeed it is a great state for turkeys.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Congrats

·
Registered
531 Posts
sweet

awesome

·
Registered
127 Posts
Where did you get your call made at? I want to get one for my dad.

Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see you also use widow maker hen decoy, also.
You use her alone or with another decoy?
I use the Widow Maker along with a Pretty Boy with a real fan. It works great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts